Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Do you take your own food on the plane? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/do-you-take-your-own-food-on-the-plane-516180/)

Heavens Mar 27th, 2005 10:56 AM

Do you take your own food on the plane?

We are going from San Diego to Atlanta at 7 am. Never been real fond of airplane breakfasts. Seen too many green eggs and ham in my day. And an egg isn't gonna hold us for five hours.

Do you take your own food? If so, what do you take that won't spoil or take up too much room? I am thinking crackers and squeeze cheese here. Or bags of peanuts. What else. Just DH and me, no kids. TIA.

ccolor Mar 27th, 2005 11:11 AM

Oh yeah - I'm always hungry and the bags of nuts just don't get it for me!! Lance peanut butter or cheese and crackers (or the packages of crackers and cheese), hard boiled eggs, summer sausage... shoot, I'd hustle on a full breakfast if I didn't have to juggle it through security!! Good luck.

suze Mar 27th, 2005 11:11 AM

A regular sandwich(es) works best for me. Maybe some snacks too, that are good for your hotel room if you don't eat them on the plane. And yes, I always take my own food these days. Although on certain airlines, certain flights the hot meals are still OK.

beentheretwice Mar 27th, 2005 11:23 AM

I ALWAYS pack our own food. And water, too. Never know when you are going to sit on the ground or be delayed, and there have been times I'm sure I could have sold a smooshed PB&J for big bucks.

I take granola bars, apples, bagels, yogurt, bags of cereal to munch, sandwiches, pretzels, whatever is handy from home. Not exactly Atkins...

LoveItaly Mar 27th, 2005 11:33 AM

Hi Heavens, I am flying to Atlanta on Delta next week so I too will need to pack something.

I always take a bag of dried apricots and a bottle of water. I will probably for this flight pack a peanut butter sandwich. Not sure how long a meat sandwich would be good for as they always say nothing should be out of the refrigerator for more then two hours. So guess hardboiled eggs wouldn't be safe to eat either. Plus would want some salt & pepper on them.

I don't like to overeat while flying anyway. Just kind of looking at it as a "diet day"! One thought I did have this a.m. was packing a salad in one of those disposable lidded containers. But guess that would get soggy and wouldn't want it without some kind of dressing on it so that wouldn't seem to work.

GoTravel Mar 27th, 2005 11:59 AM

We usually take soy protein bars.

highflyer Mar 27th, 2005 12:17 PM

I take fruit and water. Apples are a family favorite. There's usually a bar of chocolate or two hidden away in the hand luggage for emergencies plus granola/power bars. My daughter doesn't eat 'plane food' so I always take a sandwich or wrap for her with a cold pack thingy or a frozen juice carton to keep it chilled. I like to think that other passengers are looking on enviously as we eat our inflight 'picnic' but maybe they're thinking "what a nut!?"

benj Mar 27th, 2005 03:26 PM

I take the snack bags of chips or cookies too. On my recent trip to FL (1 1/2 hr flight) I took a ham biscuit that I got at our local hangout. It was wonderful to eat it & I think everyone around me would have mugged me for it. They were trying to make that tiny bag of peanuts last while I chomped on that ham biscuit. I wasn't starving when I got off the plane & had a 45 minute ride to real home cooking.

Heavens Mar 27th, 2005 03:41 PM

I was thinking of getting two sandwiches from Subway the day before, keeping them in the frig over night and then packing them with a little ice in a small lunch box that I can fold up and keep.

Peanut butter is a good idea. And maybe some of those little Bonbel cheeses.

We are on South Beach Diet so it does limit us a bit. If we take the sandwiches we can eat around the bread.

We fly from our small town to San Diego to Atlant then to Fort Lauderdale to pick up a ship the next day. There is very little time between flights to count on grabbing a snack so thought I would try to plan ahead. I imagine many flyers have to be prepared this way nowadays.

marigross Mar 27th, 2005 04:17 PM

YES!!! It has saved me a few times. Even if you pick up some overpriced sandwich from the Starbucks stand. In the past I thought this was bad manners but I have gotten over it.

I boarded once around 9:30am with a wonderful roast beef bagel sandwich and vinager chips in my bag. We were delayed TWO HOURS in the plane on the runway. I finally opened my stash around 11:00 and actively ignored the deadly stares my neighbors were throwing at me. It was 12:30 before anyone got their breakfast on a four hour flight.

Be prepared for the envious stares :)

utahtea Mar 27th, 2005 05:42 PM

The first time we flew on Delta they had these little Blue Bag lunches. The second time we were going to fly, we learned they had stopped giving them out, so we took our own "blue bag" I have a soft sided blue lunch bag that keeps things cold with ice. We take roast beef or tuna sandwiches, fruit, & cookies. I also bring an extra water.

Utahtea

Johnwaron Mar 27th, 2005 06:00 PM

I haven't done it yet, but this summer when the family and I fly to Hawaii, I'm planning on taking granola bars, water and sub sandwiches. No mayo on those subs, just the meat and veggies.

If the airline isn't serving food, maybe I should bring extra and sell 'em to pay for my flight ;) (just kidding)

Seamus Mar 27th, 2005 06:38 PM

With recent downgrades or even elimination of food service in coach, and with full planes meaning less chance of upgrade to where food is served, I've started picking up something from one of the vendors in the gate area. Many are responding to the inflight service cutbacks by offering a to-go menu. Sometimes a little pricey no hassle carrying it through security.

abram Mar 27th, 2005 06:54 PM

Sandwich from home and fruit.

LoveItaly Mar 27th, 2005 07:08 PM

An apple is a good idea! I didn't think of that. Duh, LOL! I do take a ziploc bag to put any garbage in.

A friend told me she packs a teatowel and lays it down on the tray (for hygeine). Not a bad idea. Don't think the trays are very clean. But what is?

I try to stay away from salty food because then you get thirsty and drink more and more water and then need the head which is always terrible.

They joys of flying!

kswl Mar 27th, 2005 07:18 PM

We always take fruit (one banana and an apple each) and bottled water.

I find airplane food a 50-50 proposition: half the time I am disgusted by it and won't/can't eat it, and about half the time I am pleasantly surprised at how good it is. There's no consistency by airline, domestic vs. international, breakfast vs. dinner, etc. It's as though someone in the Airline Kitchen is spinning the wheel of fortune. But to answer the question, we take the water for obvious reasons, and the fruit will either stave off hunger until we land, or complement whatever is edible about the meal.

ElendilPickle Mar 27th, 2005 07:56 PM

We take protein bars and bottled water.

Lee Ann

MelissaHI Mar 27th, 2005 11:16 PM

Normally I try to eat a nice meal before I get to the airport. For snacks, if I'm with my family I bring on pre-packaged popcorn, chips, and chocolate. If I'm by myself, maybe a sandwich. If it's a flight later than breakfast, I take a plate lunch.

This Friday I leave at 2:30 PM so I'll probably pack a plate from my local okazuya.

suze Mar 28th, 2005 06:45 AM

LoveItaly, Some people freeze a small water bottle or a juice box to keep a sandwich cold. You could pick up a single serving packet of dressing from a deli or fast food place ahead of time to go on your little green salad, or buy a ready-made salad from the grocery that is securely wrapped & includes dressing and fork.

Personally I just buy a sandwich somewhere, at the grocery or at the airport and take my chances.

I would avoid hard boiled eggs, tuna sandwiches, and bananas in consideration of other passengers because they kind of smell.

Annabel Mar 28th, 2005 06:49 AM

I don't really like to eat a lot while flying. I do bring snacks..whole grain cereal bars and an apple, and bottled water. I stay away from overly salted foods such as chips and processed food which is loaded with sodium...it just makes you very bloated. I stick to whole grain bars over protein as it is less binding and helps reduce bloat.

I have found airline food to be soooooo salty and usually will not eat it..except for the salad. I NEVER pass up the hot fudge sundaes though:)