Reload this Page >

Looking for a home near Pittsburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 1998, 11:12 AM
nancy

Recently retired and heard Pittsburgh is a great area. Can someone tell me about nice areas within a 50 mile radius of the city. We are not looking for upscale, just homey. What else about Pittsburgh can you promote? Thanks!

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 01:47 PM
Nicole

Contrary to popular belief, Pittsburgh is not the industrial, polluted town it used to be! Many of those that visit are impressed as to how clean and beautiful a city it is. Some nice areas that I would recommend are Mt. Lebanon (about 5-10 miles out), and of course Beaver (approx. 30-35 miles out), where I grew up. Mt. Lebanon has a nice town w/ some nice shops and restaurants. Typically an older neighborhood. Beaver is a bit smaller, but it still has its charm.

Things to promote? Food -- the Primanti's sandwich -- fast sandwiches, each has cole slaw and french fries IN it.

People are very friendly and ethnically diverse. Many of those who live there have lived there all thier lives and so has their parent, their parent's parents, etc.

What else would you like to know?

Old Sep 25th, 1998, 09:39 AM
Gary

Check out Murrysville. It is 20 or so miles east of the city in Westmoreland County. It has several bonuses that make it an appealing suburb. It is just outside of Allegheny County and the taxes are lower. It is near shopping and recreational areas but is not built up itself. It has easy access to the PA Turnpike and Parkway (main freeway into downtown). The rush hour commute into downtown can be annoying but since you are retired that may not be a problem. It also has a nice range as far as housing prices go. You can find million dollar homes as well as fixer uppers for much less than $100,000. I grew up there and would move back if the opportunity arises.
Pittsburgh is a great area. It is very cosmopolitan for being such a relatively small city. You're always within a short drive of something to do. Go spend a long weekend there in October when autumn is in full swing and you'll definately want to stay. Enjoy.

Old Sep 25th, 1998, 09:48 AM
nancy

Thanks Nicole and Gary. Good information. I will check out your suggestions. How's the climate? Similar to Chicago?

Old Sep 25th, 1998, 10:04 AM
Gary

The climate is less severe than Chicago. The winters are milder but it's still too cold and snowy for me (I live in Scottsdale, AZ now.) The summers aren't as steamy. Fall is beautiful. Especially, in the Laurel Highlands (Donegal exit of the PA Turnpike).

Old Sep 30th, 1998, 07:05 AM
Gary

Check out www.murrysville.com

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 08:14 AM
peter

taxes in allegheny co.are terrible.In Beaver co.the price of houses are much more affordable and less taxes many people are moving out of alleghney co because of them.Ambridge is a town18 miles from downtown and very easy access into the city there is hardly any traffic going into town some towns you may want to consider in beaver co. BEAVER AND AMBRIDGE...BEAVER IS VERY NICE BUT MORE PRICY THAN AMBRIDGE

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Murrysville is a very nice town - that's where we live - we're both originally from the Pittsburgh area.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:50 AM

Hi there. I'm actually relocating out of Pittsburgh to the other side of the state but have lived here my entire life (40 years). My experience living in Whitehall for the last 18 years has been amazing. It's defintely a "sleeper" area of the city. Close to town (20 min), affordable housing (mine's for sale!), great neighborhoods. Check it out!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 05:11 AM

I don't live in Pittsburgh, but I have a daughter in college at the University of Pittsburgh and what I enjoy when I visit her is the great access to the arts. There are several Carnegie museums (Art, Natural History, Science and the Warhol Museum) and they are all fabulous. We were there in November and saw an excellent exhibit of Aboriginal art in a downtown gallery which was part of the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust's Australia Festival in the fall. (My daughter went to some events connected with that too, including Circus Oz.) You've got the Theatre District with a variety of live theatre venues. (We saw a show at the Benedum Theatre and loved both the show and the theatre itself.) Also, since there are so many universities there, you can see "the stars of the future" in their art exhibitions, theatre productions and musical concerts.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Mt. Lebanon (where I live) is a really nice, quaint suburb. Most buildings are turn of the (20th) century, with houses from the 50's and 60's in the southern parts of Lebo (as its often called). The downtown area is a really nice, quaint area, with art galleries, great restaurants, and non-chain stores. A great sense of community. However, school taxes are high, which might be bothersome to you, as I assume you don't have K-12 school kids.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Considering that housing here in Allegheny County is so much more affordable than in other areas of the US, don't rule out in-county communities. Mt Lebanon is one of my favorites. The high school taxes provide residents with something special: educated children as neighbors. Rather nice, I think.

I live in the city, just south of the Fort Pitt Bridge and Tunnels. Pittsburgh does not have heavy traffic, and you won't be commuting, but I am not fond of trekking out to the suburbs.

One amazing nice town, similar to Mt Lebanon, slightly smaller, good access to city and cultural centers, is Aspinwall.

Another with is Oakmont. These, although smaller than Mt Lebanon, have a nice village feel: not completely suburban. Personally, I need sidewalks.

In the city, there are myriad great neighborhoods in every price range.

Some lovely suburbs with no "village feel" are Thornburg and Roslyn Farms. Very upscale but beautiful, is Fox Chapel.

Another cute little town is Sewickley.

You don't say much about your preferences, except "just homey."

Why would you come here? Do you have family nearby? Is it the low price of housing? Do you want a suburb, small town feel, a village, a community with a clear central business district, or a mall?