Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to get great bread in SF/Monterey?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH has fond memories of shopping for and enjoying his Garlic Volcano loaf of bread from Boudin Sourdough on Fisherman's Wharf in SF 2 years ago. He wants to start off our trip this May with some bread to munch on!

Problem: we're flying into SFO and heading to Monterey, and not hitting the city of SF until the last day of our trip. From what I can tell, there are no convenient Boudin bakeries (though there is one IN the airport, but not sure how good their variety would be).

Does anyone know of any place to get some great bread, San Francisco style, between the airport and Monterey? We'll be shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joes in Monterey, but he's looking for more of the atmosphere and variety of Boudin on Fisherman's Wharf.

Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:35 AM

If you are driving south on 101 to Monterey, you can stop at Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo (CA-92 Exit toward half Moon Bay to CA-82/S. El Camino Real, turn right on 31st street and left on E Sailer Dr). They have a Boudin's bakery and cafe. It is about 10 mile south of the airport.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Hello 4sharie, from the Boudin's website here is their various locations. I hope this is of help to you two. Have a wonderful trip!

http://www.boudinbakery.com/Find_A_Location
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Sourdough Bunnies!

http://www.boudinbakery.com/index.cf...ct_sub_id=1665

I always used to pick up sourdough bread at the airport for my dad. It always seemed very fresh because so much is purchased at the airport.

I haven't done that in a while, but check out the airport bakery, and maybe do a taste test! Have fun!
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM
dmlove

There are also quite a number of Le Boulanger bakery locations on the Peninsula and in the South Bay. Check out LeBoulanger.com

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

beth, thanks for the directions! Just what I needed!

loveItaly, thanks for the link. I had looked there, but since I'm not familiar with the area, couldn't tell if any were near the airport or on the way to Monterey. From Beth's directions, san Mateo must be between SFO and Monterey.

Kailani, thanks for letting me know the airport bread is good and fresh! Looks like it's on the opposite of the airport from where we'll come in, but will be worth the walk over if it's good!

dmlove, thanks for the other bakery name! We'll check them out too!
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
You can stop at any good grocery store (see below for some suggestions) and get great fresh sourdough bread. Grace, Acme, Il Fornaio, Semifreddi's, Bay Bread are some to look for. Do not buy Colombo (or anything packaged in a plastic bag!)

Andronico's
Draeger's
Mollie Stone's
Lunardi's
Whole Foods

All of these stores can be found on your way from SFO to Monterey.

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM

I don't know how much time you'll have for restranting on your visit, but I loved the Fish Hoppers clam chowder in a bread bowl! I eat there every time I am in Monterey. It's great.Monterey also has some great small shops and bakeries. Some of the ones listed above are very nice. Have a good time.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Stop by the Raymond's Sourdough Outlet in South San Francisco (very close to SFO). They bake loaves every hour and are open every day from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/raymonds-sou...an-francisco-2
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Oh, good one, Wellvis. I love Raymond's bread, especially when it's fresh from their oven.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Acme in Berkeley or the Ferry Bldg in SF.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 09:10 AM

The best sourdough my husband and I ever had was from a stand in a gift shop in the San Fran airport in the morning waiting for a flight - it was freshly baked, just delivered San Fran Sourdough. We tore off pieces and ate it right there, no butter - fabulous!! When does your flight arrive? If it's a.m., you might find some there.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!! I think Raymond's sounds like JUST the place for us. I'll mapquest the directions from the airport, then on to Monterey.

I can smell it now....

6 weeks from yesterday and we'll be there!

Oh, our plane arrives around 11:00 am. maybe the airport will still have some good bread too!

Thanks again!
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Any grocery store, any day except Wednesday.