Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Do you recommend relocating to San Diego? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/do-you-recommend-relocating-to-san-diego-232954/)

Annabelle Jun 20th, 2002 01:03 PM

Do you recommend relocating to San Diego?

My husband and I have both visited San Diego a few times and both love the feel of the city - nice people; very diverse; great weather; beautiful beaches. We are seriously considering relocating there and I'm wondering what any downsides might be? Appreciate your thoughts!

Hola Jun 20th, 2002 01:05 PM

Do you speak Spanish?

Barbara Jun 20th, 2002 01:13 PM

The big downside is the cost of housing. If you can find jobs here - there is very low unemployment, and afford the cost of buying or renting, then everything else is great.

relocating Jun 20th, 2002 01:19 PM

Since some people seem to be up in arms about relocation questions I have created an ezboard Online Community for relocation issues. It's called Relocation Central.<BR><BR>Here is a link to the ezboard:<BR><BR>http://pub5.ezboard.com/brelocationcentral<BR><BR>It is ad free for the moment.<BR>

san diegan Jun 20th, 2002 01:20 PM

No. SD is horrible horrible place. filthy, dirty, high crime rate, lousy weather, crappy food, ugly people, uh, no nightlife, uh, nothing to do on the weekends, uh, oh and terrible for anyone at all ever. stay away for your own good. SD sucks.

sdlocal Jun 20th, 2002 01:22 PM

Low wages and high houging cost. Our mayor recently announced that there is consideration for an emergency state due to the housing costs. I think we've now hit an average of over $300K for a condo in San Diego and a professional isn't likely to make much more than $40-50K.

xx Jun 20th, 2002 01:23 PM

Where are you coming from? Do you have kids?

Annabelle Jun 20th, 2002 01:29 PM

No kids yet. Married - I am 24, my husband is 28. Currently live in Detroit area, Michigan. Plan to have kids in the next 3-5 years.

xxx Jun 20th, 2002 01:35 PM

Where are you going to house those kids in 3 years if you can't afford a home? AT 24, it's all fun and games, but reality will hit you in a few years when you realize that your lousy paying jobs just don't pay the bills in the land of sunshine.

Annabelle Jun 20th, 2002 01:38 PM

This is a serious post - I'm really looking for input from people who live there now, or anywhere in southern California. <BR>We are both professionals (engineering and marketing) and have heard the job market in SD is tough - but it's tough everwhere, these days. We loved all the outdoor things to do there and the diversity, above all.

ttt Jun 20th, 2002 02:01 PM

ttt

OCNative Jun 20th, 2002 02:02 PM

I live in the neighboring county - Orange County and often head down to San Diego to visit friends. Two of my friends have got laid off in the past year and have yet to find jobs. Coincidently, one was a marketing manager while the other is an engineer. One of them was forced to move back in with his sister, while the other is contemplating a move elsewhere where she can get a job and cheaper housing. Fortunately the rest of my friends have kept their jobs, but one think's her company is on rocky ground and another is babrely getting by financially despite having an MBA.<BR><BR>Yes, the weather's great, lots to do and a ton of outdoor activities, but everythings so costly. Even milk and gasoline run higher down there.

Chris Jun 20th, 2002 02:49 PM

Annabelle:<BR>Well... SD is a great place to live as a DINK (dual income, no kids) and may be a great place to be if you have kids although there are a few trade offs. I agree that salaries are artificially low as employers don't have to pay you top dollar as they know that you'll work for less just to live there. I lived in SD for 11 years and had a great experience but I am raising my children in the midwest. There are less distrations in hte midwest and the work ethic is affected by all those beautiful beaches, beautiful people, and emphasis on "laid back living". If I was in my 20s, I'd do it again. Comparable housing is nearly double where I presently live.

Elfie Jun 20th, 2002 03:04 PM

Annabelle, I don't live in SD but have family who do, and can report as a frequent visitor out there. Yes, the weather can't be beat and you're so close to the ocean, but I think there are some real drawbacks. Primary one being that it's very, very close to maximum development. Aside from Camp Pendleton in Oceanside there is precious little open land anywhere in SD, it's nothing but housing nd business developments everywhere you look, all the hills are dotted with homes now. It bothered me that the only way to get around was by the multi-lane highway. As an east coaster I am accustomed to living in a place that has real roads that connect communities, and being able to use "side streets" when the highways are jammed. You can't do that in SD, the highway is the only way to get anywhere. Maybe this is a small point but it bothers me whenver I'm there.

Barbara Jun 20th, 2002 03:50 PM

Annabelle, house prices are not quite as bad as sdlocal claims. The average cost of a single family home - not a condo - is about $300K. I know many professionals who earn very good money. It all depends what work you do.<BR><BR>Also, while a lot, but not all, of our hills and open space are being built on - and as I've lived here for over 20yrs I can see the difference! - there is a great demand for homes. Unfortunately, most of the new homes being built are very expensive, mostly over $500K. San Diego county is huge, stretching all the way to the Laguna Mountains, and a lot of it will never be developed, thank goodness.<BR><BR>We do have plenty of roads that are not freeways and, if you know how, it's perfectly possible to get around only using freeways occasionally. It's just quicker on the freeway usually, and those of us who live in here don't want commuter traffic rushing through our neighborhoods.<BR><BR>Overall, the economy in San Diego is one of the strongest in the country. There are always be companies going out of business, it's not just here.

xxx Jun 20th, 2002 07:03 PM

I think some of the posters are painting too pretty of a picture. I'd head out and have a realtor take you around and show you homes. You'll find that it will take $300,000 to find a decent townhouse to live in. Houses are more like $500,000 or above and it's not like you'll be getting much more than a tract home 30 miles outside of downtown San Diego or an older fixer upper in the better centralized areas.<BR><BR>As a recruiter, let me warn you that the jobs aren't all that available here in San Diego. I've had several candidates turn down the low paying positions and have chosen to move to less expensive areas.

Jill Jun 20th, 2002 07:19 PM

How much rent do you pay now in Detroit? What's your income back there? What's the size of your current apt? Maybe we can help you with what an apt. would run you out here for a comparable unit.

Ann Jun 20th, 2002 07:42 PM

Let's see...Detroit vs San Diego....Answer: San Diego<BR><BR>Look for a job first as prices will be high for housing etc. But, quality of life may be your top consideration. If so, move.

Jen Jun 20th, 2002 07:43 PM

Don't do it! It is so crowded there now. Rush hour starts at 2:00 in the afternoon. My husband and I lived there for a year and couldn't wait to leave. Spending Saturday afternoon in traffic on the is no quality of life. Now they are planning on building a 23 lane freeway. . .and it still won't help the congested freeways. There are many better places in CA than what I like to now call "Baja LA"

where Jun 20th, 2002 08:13 PM

Jen, where are you and the hubby headed to next? Find a better place yet? What's stopping you from getting out of there?