Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do You Really Notice Chubby People at Pools & Beaches?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2001, 02:06 PM
Erika

This is a serious question! I am a size 22W, and always feel like everybody is staring at me when I wear a bathing suit. How much do you people notice heavy people and do you give it a second thought? Thanks for your answers. My hubby always says, "Forget about it, all these people didn't come to look at you!" Opinions?

Old May 22nd, 2001, 02:07 PM
Jim

Erika, I hope and pray this is a troll post but I'll tell you anyway: ignore anyone who may be staring! I've seen lots bigger than 22W in little bikinis and my life pretty much continued as it did before.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 02:09 PM
No name

You mean I get to be the first to weigh in on a weight thread? Yippee!

Actually, no, I don't pay much attention to people's weight. Many, many Americans are overweight, so it's nothing new. Just dress appropriately in a decent one-piece suit and enjoy yourself.

As for why you feel like people are staring, well, that's because you feel like you ought to lose some weight. So go do it!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 02:27 PM
x

PLEASE DON`T start this again....we had a Go-ROUND not to long ago about this and it got very heated.....YES!!!!! people make fun of you.....I know I`m size 18 and my own husband ridiculles me all the time and I AM on a diet all the time..I have some health problems and it is very hard....people are miserable and they like to make fun of other people..bald,short,fat skinny...etc...

Old May 22nd, 2001, 02:44 PM
xxx

Of COURSE we'd notice you. How could we not? But, STARE? No way. Who'd want a prolonged look?

Old May 22nd, 2001, 02:55 PM
Suzie

People stare at everyone. Part of being out and about is people watching. If your size changed to average you would see people still stare.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 04:48 PM
typical

Is 22W "big"?

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:56 PM
Kev

I summered in Cannes, france last year and it was interestin to see the variety of people at the busy topless and less busy nude beaches. ALL shapes, sizes and ages, including many women in their 70's with barely a stitch of clothing on!! (now close your eyes and just imagine....well....maybe you better not).
I'm positive this is a troll post.
But, just for the sake of discussion, as long as people dress tastefully and act appropriately, they should go about their business without regard to others' opinions.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 09:04 PM
Erika

No, I assure you this is not a troll post. I am in my 50's, getting ready for three days by a swimming pool next month, and already dreading that moment when I drop the towel and get in the pool. Oh, well, maybe I look like a typical Grandmother and they won't notice so much. Thank you, everybody, for your comments!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 09:40 PM
sue

I sympathize..I just went looking for a size 14 swim suit--- my old ones were all size 7's--some ignorant people may be cruel--(my husband is one- he will never be heavy it is in his genes, he is mean ,he complained when I was 98 lbs & now I am 178-let him go find some skinny ....) I do know there are people of all sizes & believe it or not some people are attracted to larger bodies-more to love pleasingly plump!I must agree with your hubby-in most cases -who cares!!It is self image & self confidence-I love to see a confident heavy person-a confident any person!I have been on both sides-yes some people can be mean-I do feel there has been lots of discrimination, but you know,there are more & more heavy people out there! You never know who may have been thin & who may have been heavy & why-- Thin with cancer & heavy looking on prednisone to fight it( I personally used to exercise my buns off & love to ,but no longer can due to the pain of it ,from other health issues ) we all have our own battles -some with weight, some with ignorance--Forget size--life is to short -LIVE IT (it is like the guy thing saying "it is not the size it what you can do with it!)-do not know where you sun at but most beaches you see ALL sizesAruba was refreshing to me -real people size bodiesso I guess yes I do "notice chubby people " to some extent--they make me more comfortable --Real people getting out & living & enjoying life like me-do I give it a second thought NO!!I have not seen a heavy person in a thong yet -maybe then I might give it a second thought !

Old May 22nd, 2001, 09:51 PM
sue

Erika,I love it - I just posted & saw your response- 50 -I am 49-- it is that age for us to wonder I guess..I personally think it is an age, weight ,thing lots of women got,thru &then lose it again later(hormones)Enjoy the pool-& life & do not worry ..
Does anyone know how plump God is -- cheribs seem cute & chubbyI know when I have my mansion there, I will have lots of goodies since I am not having them here

Old May 23rd, 2001, 04:55 AM
Dick

Erika,

Choose an appropriate bathing suit and you will be fine.

However, if you choose a bright pink 2 piece and expect people to stare.

Although your husband says people don't come to look at you....people watching is a popular sport at the beach.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 04:58 AM
Kristy

Well, tough one. I'll be honest - YES!!! I notice everyone, I love people watching. But do I care - NO! Yes I envy women with perfect bodies, yes I notice an overweight woman. WHo cares. I'm sure they notice me too and maybe some women may envy my body and others may not. If someone is so assanine to make jokes or talk about you then that's their problem. They are the ones wasting their vacation time to be jerks. And much of this is due to your own love confidence, you probably think that everyong ridicules you when that's not at all true. So be confident and don't pay attention to others - because if you do then their ignorance wins.

Kristy

Old May 23rd, 2001, 05:08 AM
Kristy

I meant "low" confidence

Old May 23rd, 2001, 05:59 AM
divamom

Erika,
Hug your hubby and buy a new swimsuit! There are plenty of flattering styles for all sizes these days; look for Delta Burke swimwear at department stores, or go to landsend.com for an amazing selection. Walk tall, ensure impeccable grooming (a pedicure is manditory, and don't forget the bikini wax!) and and read Mode magazine while you're enjoying the pool! The people who look will always look, no matter what ... so give 'em something to see!

Old May 23rd, 2001, 06:08 AM
X

Yes, people watching at the beach is a popular past-time! You'll get watched just being there. And the more extreme you are, the more attention you'll gather.

The more skin you show, the more attention you'll get. But if you cover up like a nun, you'll get attention too. Personally, I think the teensie bikinis are for the 17 - 21 year olds with the awesome bods. Of course that only covers about 1 percent of the population, and we all know that more people wear them than ought too. On that note, why is it that you usually see only old, paunchy, wrinkledy men wearing the bikini swimsuit and not the good looking, muscular young men?

Find something you're comfortable with and have a good time.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 06:08 AM
Annie

It's easy to feel like everyone's staring at you, but you must always remember that you are not foremost in other people's minds. It's like when we think every whispered conversation at work must be about it. The vast majority of people aren't paying attention to what you look like.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 06:09 AM
xxx

I am a 48-year-old guy, and I never give a second thought to the size of women unless their swimsuits are inappropriate for their size. At our swim club, we have all kinds of sizes.

And another thing: You don't have to wrap yourself in a beach towel when you walk around the pool. If your swimming suit fits, you look fine.

Listen to your husband on this one.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 06:09 AM
Annie

Sorry, "every conversation must be about YOU" not it.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 06:28 AM
Leone

At one time I might have noticed, briefly, and for no reasons whatsoever, but I may tell you this ... these days I'm more concrend about my tummy than yours. In fact, until I lose that next 5 #, my t-shirt is staying on, and that is no joke. So, pray for me ... and don't look at me. I can empathize, Erika ... now, why don't we all give Erika a big hand for being a brave soul to ask an embarrassing question. BTW, is your pool opening this weekend ... mine is, and I'm sweating bullets. No tan and the tummy isn't as trim as last year. My god, what will the women say? But tomorrow, just to show there's some justice in the world, I'm on a plane for FL, and I plan to hide out on the beach, at least until the damned thing is tan. But do pray for me, and I shall return the kindness. Ciao.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -