Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Do You Post Hotel Reviews at Trip Advisor? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/do-you-post-hotel-reviews-at-trip-advisor-513857/)

Paul Mar 19th, 2005 03:19 AM

Do You Post Hotel Reviews at Trip Advisor?

I was reading hotel reviews at TripAdvisor.com and also BiddingForTravel.com. I needed an airport hotel at LAX for an overnight flight layover. Reading the reviews of **** places on Bidding For Travel, I was afraid to even use PriceLine.com to bid for the LAX area. Many 4-star places had musty rooms and moldy shower curtains!

I was not going to take any chances in this case, so I booked online directly with the motel itself, assuring me a clean and decent place.

I relied on Trip Advisor for hotel reviews. Admittedly, I have never taken the time to offer other travelers the same free advice that I received when I needed it. I vouch to change that now!

How about you?

bardo1 Mar 19th, 2005 03:27 AM

Only it it's negative experience. If a hotel is what it's supposed to be, I never think to post a review.

Randa Mar 19th, 2005 03:29 AM

I'm with you ... even though people have different opinions about the same place, for the most part the descriptions and advice you receive on Trip Advisor are pretty accurate. I rely on them so much for choosing lodging that I, too, have posted reviews.

dcespedes Mar 19th, 2005 04:09 AM

Yes, I have. On several occassions we've stayed at hotels (in the States and overseas) that received mixed reviews on Tripadvisor.com but each time the experience turned out to be positive for us so I like to add our two cents. As much as I like to read what other people have to say I never let someone elses opinion be the deciding factor.

Judyrem Mar 19th, 2005 05:18 AM

Yes, primarily when it is a bad experience. I do rely partially on their reviews..some times I use just a "gut" feeling when choosing...most often it works....sometimes it doesn't.

JeanH Mar 19th, 2005 05:21 AM

I only post reviews on Trip Advisor if I stay somewhere that doesn't already have tons of other reviews. Or if it was an extremely good or bad stay.

tlegray Mar 19th, 2005 06:08 AM

I try to post reviews on TripAdvisor, especially if I like the hotel or BnB. I just feel that it is a courtesy since I look to others reviews for help in picking out places to stay.

amwosu Mar 19th, 2005 07:05 AM

I try to remember to post on tripadvisor for both hotels and attractions. I also use tripadvisor reviews when making decisions but I find them most helpful when there are alot of posts for a place.

If a hotel only has 5 posts and all of them are glowing I tend to suspect that the posts are frauds. When there are 66 posts about a place with just a few negatives posted I think they tend to ring more true. I also distrust all of the posts that say, "I hated this hotel and checked out but had a really good time at Hotel X down the street, you should try it!"

suze Mar 19th, 2005 08:54 AM

I've only posted a couple times on Trip Advisor. Both extremely positive reviews of hotels I love that don't get much attention, I guess since they are smaller, local owned unique 3-star type of places.

suze Mar 19th, 2005 08:56 AM

That said, I have never actually USED Trip Advisor to find a hotel or make a decision. I pick a hotel I like by word-of-mouth or having seen it in person on a previous trip to the area and book with them directly. Always.

sceneisle Mar 19th, 2005 09:30 AM

I usually submit hotel reviews, along with photos; but like JeanH, I won't if there already are numerous recent reviews posted (especially if they are in line with my appraisal). I am more inclined to post, if I had a negative experience.

Paul Mar 19th, 2005 10:00 AM

Interesting responses. Thanks.

suze, I'm with you when it comes to first-hand reviews to be more dependable rather than the postings at a site such as TripAdvisor.

But in my case regarding LAX, I personally know people who have stayed at hotels in the L.A. area, but unfortunately they had no first-hand accounts of airport hotels.

Once here at Fodor's, the Hacienda Hotel - nearby LAX - was recommended as a good night's stay. I went to the hotel's website {www<dot>haciendahotel<dot>com} and it did indeed look like exactly what I wanted. Reports at TripAdvisor, however were not glowing and therefore influenced my decision on where to stay. As did reports of various other hotels at LAX.

happytrailstoyou Mar 19th, 2005 10:10 AM

I used Tripadvisor.com for hotels before a trip to Mexico and I foiund the reviews to be helpful, when carefully read. Tips such as "The rooms in the back are quiet" and "Beware of some small, dark rooms" were very helpful.

When I returned, I posted reviews of the hotels in which I stayed.

obxgirl Mar 19th, 2005 10:11 AM

I've posted at tripadvisor once regarding a really unpleasant hotel experience.

I use tripadvisor as one data point in researching a place to stay but I'd never use it as the only one. I think if the TA reviews are uniformly negative or positive then that's a pretty reliable data point. You can also usually tell if a really negative review is whiner who wants Ritz treatment at the Days Inn.

suze Mar 19th, 2005 10:11 AM

Now that's funny... the Hacienda is the only hotel I happen to have experience with near LAX! I attended a high school reunion held there a few years back. Was just there for 1 night but it was fine -LOL.

Little_Man Mar 19th, 2005 10:34 AM

I always post a review. I'm a tripadvisor/fodors addict, so feel like I should!

Flyboy Mar 19th, 2005 11:13 AM

I post regularly on TripAdvisor and now that photos can be posted, I'm trying to post those, too. I read the reviews of others and while they sometimes have to be taken individually with a grain of salt, they frequently provide a fairly accurate picture when they are taken in context together.

cmcfong Mar 19th, 2005 11:35 AM

I always post a review unless one would be completely redundant.

mscarls Mar 19th, 2005 12:30 PM

I now post reviews and believe the more the merrier, even if they are consistent with reviews already posted.

volcam Mar 19th, 2005 03:01 PM

Of many hotel properties at which I've stayed, Trip Advisor reviews have consistently been wrong. Most reviews were far more negative than what I've experienced at a particular property. I use Fodor's, Frommer's, and a variety of local guides to choose a property, resources that I have found to be much more reliable than Trip Advisor. Apparently, many people that post to Trip Advisor expect every place they stay to be 100% perfect, which to me is unattainable.