Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Do you plan trips around spas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/do-you-plan-trips-around-spas-565135/)

bronxzilla Oct 17th, 2005 01:41 PM

Do you plan trips around spas?

We are rethinking our appraoch to spa travel here at Fodor's, and I wanted to throw some questions to the Fodorites:

-Have you ever planned a vacation specifically to go to a spa?

-Are hotel spa facilities a make-or-break for whether you will book a reservation?

-Are spas luxuries or necessities in your life?

-Or any other thoughts...

thanks,
Peter

hobojo Oct 17th, 2005 02:00 PM

Of course not!

seetheworld Oct 17th, 2005 02:04 PM

-No

-No, although I loved the spa that the Ritz Carlton, San Francisco. But I didn't book specifically because of the spa facilities.

-No. I love to get messages, but I am very, very picky about who gives them. Hence, I much prefer having a message at home (with my regular licensed massage therapist) instead of having one while away. I'm quirky that way :D

seetheworld Oct 17th, 2005 02:09 PM

...should be "at the RC"...

How about a spell check function??? :D

FainaAgain Oct 17th, 2005 02:13 PM

I haven't, but planning a trip to Israel now and considering a few days at the Dead Sea spas.

Also know few people going to Karlovy Vary spas for health reasons.

Interesting thread, how about starting one "do you plan trips to all inclusive" or "how important is it to stay at a resort" or "at a BnB"?

In 4 years on Fodors I've seen all kind of weird threads I think.

abram Oct 17th, 2005 02:22 PM

No, I travel either to ski, or to see new places.

I don't even ask if they have a spa.

Neither: Spas don't interest me.

razzledazzle Oct 17th, 2005 02:27 PM

Becuase we live not an hour away,Mr R5 and I plan mini-escapes to Calistoga 2-4 times a year just for a spa vacation. We can spend endless hours
in the various pools and jacuzzi pools.
We'll do a package that includes mud
bath, mineral soak, blanket wrap, massage and foot reflexology and typically re-book with massage therapists we know. It is both a luxury
and necessity. Keep in mind that the
majority of the Claistoga spas are not marble and gold leaf experiences, a tad more down to earth, but we prefer
this more casual experience. Of course
the added draw of wining and dining in the Napa Valley isn't to bad either.
R5

razzledazzle Oct 17th, 2005 02:33 PM

"Claistoga"=Calistoga, and "to"=too.
Sheesh, maybe I need to start planning
our next visit !
R5

Fodorite018 Oct 17th, 2005 02:44 PM

I seem to be in the minority here, lol!

I do plan trips specifically for spas, but they are girlfriend getaways so it fits the bill. The Red Mountain Adventure Spa in Utah was great. Over a dozen girlfriends from around the country went for a week and had our fill of spa treatments, hiking, cooking classes, and various fitness classes. I also do a long girls weekend every year at SunRiver Resort in Oregon. We stay in the River Lodge and spend a lot of time at their Sage Springs Spa. Two of the therapists have become good friends of mine, lol!

If we are going on a trip as a family, I rarely look into the spa at the hotel.

For me, spas are a luxury. It is a time to pamper myself and relax.

FainaAgain Oct 17th, 2005 03:40 PM

Razzle, you are in a good company here. The first ones in line for spellcheck must be the Fodor's people. Just read the OP post - is "appraoch" a word?

gail Oct 17th, 2005 03:44 PM

I am a real minority here. I hate spas - have no interest in their services. Now, ask me about decent restaurants nearby, great pool/gym facilities - that would make a difference.

bronxzilla Oct 17th, 2005 03:51 PM

FainaAgain wrote:
<i>&quot;do you plan trips to all inclusive&quot;</i>

guess we better add grammar checker to the list as well. :)

Zoom Oct 17th, 2005 03:54 PM

While I enjoy spa's at home and/or a maassage now and then, I would feel like I was wasting precious vaca time that could be spent outdoors, or exploring the city or country or what have you. I would just as soon go to a nice spa in my area....

I always look at the hotel/resort website and peruse the spa options as if that would be something pleasant to do, but I've yet to ever book anything. I always figure I'll be out having too much fun and not want to be attached to a schedule or having to get back to the resort.

FainaAgain Oct 17th, 2005 03:56 PM

Oh, bronxzilla, yes, please do, I can benefit from it greatly! You don't know how difficult it is to learn English grammar if you weren't born in an English-speaking country and come here later in life!

I can quote that lady from &quot;The streetcar named Desire&quot; - I've always depended on the kindness of strangers.

Thank you for offering me help, kind stranger Bronxzilla! Looking forward to improving my skills!

bronxzilla Oct 17th, 2005 03:58 PM

FainaAgain: Where did you emigrate from?

Kal Oct 17th, 2005 04:01 PM

Do you consider Betty Ford a spa? :-?

suze Oct 17th, 2005 04:21 PM

I have never planned a vacation specifically to go to a spa. But a few times something has turned up once I arrived (facial in Honolulu, massage in Puerto Vallarta, manicure in Montreux).

Fodorite018 Oct 17th, 2005 04:26 PM

Kal--LOL! When we went to Red Mountain in Utah, we flew into Vegas and stopped at the first liquor store we could find. Stocked up and then hit the road for the spa! Let's just say a few of those hikes were done with hangovers:)

cmcfong Oct 17th, 2005 04:49 PM

Thanks for asking, Peter. I appreciate the energy you are putting into trying to find what people want from this site and Fodors .
I love spa treatments and do include consideration of their availability in some of my trip planning. When my DH and I take hiking or outdoor adventure trips, I always try to book a luxury last night with massage and facial. When I go to a place I have visited before like London, Paris or Bermuda, I often take an afternoon for a spa treatment. If I am going some place new which I don't expect to visit again, I probably would not waste any time on a spa treatment. And if I find myself in a facility like the Greenbrier or the Grove Park, I definitely take advantage of the spa. I have not ever taken a spa vacation, but will one of these days.
Again, thanks for asking.

JeanH Oct 17th, 2005 04:54 PM

I don't consider myself a spa 'hater', but the concept simply doesn't interest me. I think part of the issue is I don't like being touched by strangers. Plus, I think I'm just too cheap....