Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do you have any Kennebunkport-area restaurants and activities recommendations for Sep 22,23 2006?

Search

Do you have any Kennebunkport-area restaurants and activities recommendations for Sep 22,23 2006?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading up to Maine this weekend, and are looking for some restaurant suggestions - lunch and dinner. Our attire will be casual, so nothing fancy - just good.

Last year, I recall reading about a chef-owned restaurant in this area where it was possible to sit in (in view of?) the kitchen. Does this ring a bell to anyone, and would you recommend the food? For lunch one of the days, we'll probably go to Petey's on route 1 in Rye, NH (if they're open!), and maybe Billy's chowder house in Wells. (Although, if Huots is open near Old Orchard, their chowder may make us take a spin up there!)

Appreciate any info you can give!

Cyn

We'll be doing the normal shopping, eating, walking the beach stuff, but anyone know of anything special going on this weekend?

Anything right on the water?
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:36 AM

Hi Cyn,

You are headed to my favorite place, especially this time of year. Here are my favorite places - can't miss lobster - Nunan's Lobster Hut. They don't accept credit cards so be sure to bring your cash. Very casual shack kind of place with the best lobster you can find. It's located a little way outside of Kennebunkport toward Cape Porpoise.

Another great casual place - The Wayfarer, again in Cape Porpoise. They have the best Maine blueberry pie I have ever had.

For something a little up scale and not so casual, try the White Barn.

For great on the water dining, head to Pier 77. This place is located on a pennisula with beautiful water views. It's at the end of Pier Road in Cape Porpoise.

Great spot for casual lunch dining, head to the Clam Shack in the center of Kennebunkport. Best clams anywhere!

I guess I will have to stop here, since this is making me hungry...have a great time! I am jealous!
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:29 AM

Bandaloop, right in Dock Square , up a flight of stairs, is a fantastic, reasonably priced but upscale casual place with an open kitchen (which is actually just a corner of the dining room). I 'm always amazed at how much the chefs can do in such a tiny place.
The head chef,(Scott?), used to be at another more formal place in Kennebunkport, I think it was "On the Marsh"
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

sweetsailing: Thanks - I had read about Nunan's over on trip advisor -also good reviews, so that will definately go on the list. Pier 77 had a not so good review from one poster - although it sounded like a disgruntled former employee or some such, so good to hear a good thing.
Re:White Barn - sounds great, but DH will be in jeans - would that be inappropriate for the White Barn? (He will have a collared shirt).

nyer: Bandaloop sounds great too - same question about the jeans. On the Marsh sounds like the name of the place I was trying to think of - do you know if he had a table in the kitchen there? I really like watching the chefs, so Bandaloop is on the list!

Cyn
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:50 AM

cynstalker, yes Bandlaoop is very much a jeans-wearing place.

I never went to On the Marsh,I had just heard about it, so I can't answer that question. I am always on the lookout for really good food at prices that don't make me swoon,(tough in that area) so when this opened a couple of years ago I was very pleased. Their menu is online at http://www.bandaloop.biz/dinner.html
Looks like they haven't updated it in a while (prices are now about a dollar or so more on most things) but it's a good idea of what they have.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:53 AM

Hi Cyn,

Your welcome. You will love Nunan's. It's quite literally a shack. Fishing nets and lobster traps hanging from the ceiling. Picnic tables and benches for seating. 2 lobsters per person served on tin trays with potato chips and pickles. Last I was there, you got 2 lobsters for $14.99. Prices might be higher now. Last time I was there, we sat 1 table away from Sean Penn and Robyn Wright who were in Kennebunkport filiming a movie.

Pier 77 is worth a visit for the location and views alone.

I threw White Barn in as an option, however if it's only jeans then I would not go. White Barn requires men to wear jackets.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 05:38 PM

For lunch or dinner we always go to Alisson's for clam chowder/lobster, right in dock square. We've had dinner at Grissini's and Stripers Waterside Restaurants which we like. Very good and casual. We'll be going to the White Barn Inn for the 15th time next month, it is that wonderful. Great service in a restored Barn. No jeans, but you don't need a collar shirt. Slacks and turtleneck will do, and my husband brings a sportcoat for that night.
Have a great weekend!