Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Do you dress up or dress down when flying? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/do-you-dress-up-or-dress-down-when-flying-250011/)

curious Aug 15th, 2002 03:31 PM

Do you dress up or dress down when flying?

Do you go for comfort, i.e. shorts, jeans, tennies? Or are you more concerned with appearances and spiff up a little bit. Am curious how people feel about this.

Julie Aug 15th, 2002 03:36 PM

I prefer casual, comfortable clothing for the plane, particularly if the flight is fairly long. I don't wear jeans because I find them too constricting if I'm going to be sitting for a long time. I also avoid shorts or sleeveless tops because I freeze on airplanes. I only dress up if its a business trip and I have to go straight from the airport to a meeting.

Sara Aug 15th, 2002 03:49 PM

I dress comfortably but also knowing I am in public. I don't wear jeans because I find them stiff and uncomfortable. Always wear layers, usually I am cold but occasionally I have a hot flight. I have flying pants that I usually only wear for flights, knit stretch pants and a shirt with a sweatshirt. Have recently found I like shoes that slip off and on since I like to take my shoes off for long flights.

LKJ Aug 15th, 2002 04:03 PM

I don't dress down, JUST in case there's an opportunity for an upgrage, but also because I don't like anything around my waist on a long trip. ANd I, too, get chilly and want to kick off shoes, so:<BR><BR>Nice jersey or blouse, nice microfiber or denim jumper (that doesn't wrinkle), knee-highs or no hose, and slip-on shoes. Use my lined trenchcoat as blanket (since there are always about 6 blanets for 200 people). I'm actually more comfortable than a lot of you would be in jeans.

mike's Aug 15th, 2002 04:31 PM

...funny, I thought Mike always rode in the cargo hold...

no Aug 15th, 2002 04:48 PM

Why would I dress down to go out among hundreds of other people? To look my worst?<BR>I wear nice clothing,wear some make-up,do my hair,....."spiff" up.<BR>We all know by now that there are enough people out there that think just wearing a sweatsuit is spiffing up.

J Correa Aug 15th, 2002 04:53 PM

I definitely wear what is most comfortable on a plane - generally jeans, t-shirt, sweatshirt, and tennis shoes. <BR><BR>Unless I am travelling for business and will not have the oportunity to change between the flight and the meeting, I don't see the logic in dressing up for a flight.

slobs Aug 15th, 2002 04:57 PM

I guess the difference here is what do people consider "dressing UP or DOWN".<BR>Comfort clothing in the US usually looks like they just rolled out of bed.<BR>Giving people in other countries the impression that most Americans shop at SLOBS R'US!<BR>While you don't need to wear a jacket and tie, trousers and a real shirt looks a lot better than sweats or tee shirts.<BR>Is it just too much trouble for some people to actually wash and walk out the door dressed like a grown up? Why must all men think that they are attractive dressed the way they did when they were 12?<BR>

highflyer Aug 15th, 2002 05:06 PM

Well said slobs, well said!!<BR>Sometimes it's comical to see how some people turn up in public.<BR>

J. Correa Aug 15th, 2002 05:22 PM

J??? are you quartro with the resto in key west?

laurie Aug 15th, 2002 05:34 PM

Don't you love sitting next to a 280 lb. extremely hairy guy wearing a tank top? Ech! No class.

Nice Girl Aug 15th, 2002 05:36 PM

I always dress in materials that are less likely to be flame retardant/resistant in case of a fire or other emergency. I always wear sneakers with an old driver's license with my picture in one of my shoes. Just in case it is needed for identification purposes. I remember seeing a show on television interviewing a former flight attendant who had her pantyhose melt to her legs during an emergency deplaning (read: crash)....

Nice Girl Aug 15th, 2002 05:37 PM

"I always dress in materials that are less likely to be flame retardant/resistant in case of a fire or other emergency. "<BR><BR>So sorry. I mean less likely to burn - not less likely to be retardant/resistant. Ouch!

connie Aug 15th, 2002 05:39 PM

There was a time 25 years ago you dressed up when you were flying. Now everyone looks like tthey are getting on a Greyhound cross country bus trip. No etiquette whatsoever. No common sense. No self-pride. It seems that the majority of airplane travellers today never look in a full-length mirror. You can wear something comfortable and still look well put together.

Nice Girl Aug 15th, 2002 05:42 PM

I hope someone dressing up for a flight doesn't wear high heels which could get caught in an emergency slide.........

fffffffffffff Aug 15th, 2002 05:48 PM

Nice girl,<BR><BR>You sound like a seasoned traveler who comes prepared. I want to sit next to you in an exit row.<BR>

ddd Aug 15th, 2002 06:24 PM

Hey Connie Corleone,<BR><BR>Your effeteness is showing. <BR><BR>Travelling (plane, bus, car, donkey) is a way to get from one place to another. It's not fine dining and an evening at the opera. <BR><BR>Come to think of it. if I had to show up at the crack of dawn and stand in interminable lines in order to see La Boheme, I'd probably dress for comfort and not appearances.

Brad Aug 15th, 2002 06:47 PM

Oh come on... Even as a business traveller, you should dress DOWN on an airplane. This is not to say sweats and a t-shirt, but blue jeans (nice, untattered of course) and a tasteful polo shirt or long sleeved button downed is just fine for the flight, and for whomever might see me on the plane. Slacks are for the conference room. I dress for travel the same way I dress when I go into the office on a weekend.<BR><BR>And the one thing I HATE about those airborne "up-dressers" is the cologne/perfume they wear! Please don't use it on an airplane!! I don't know if it is the thin air or the limited ventilation, but it gets quite annoying to smell the same strong fragrance for four hours straight.

fluffy Aug 15th, 2002 07:19 PM

Come on now, Brad. Are you sure it's not your own Polo cologne you are getting a whiff of?

Bonnie Aug 15th, 2002 08:04 PM

Oh, loudly second Brad's request NOT TO USE PERFUME, COLOGNE, AFTER-SHAVE or any similarly odiferous thing!!!! Save it for the seduction scene if you think it'll help, but if you are within 10 rows of me, please leave it in the bottle.