Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do you call and confirm all reservations before you leave for a trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking the "big" family vacation this year for the first time ever. Have reservations at hotels from Williams, AZ to Grand Canyon, to Sedona to Las Vegas. I'm wondering if since most reservations were made on-line, is it necessary to call and confirm a few days before we go? Particularly with the airlines, I was wondering if anyone has had issues with bringing their printout of flights booked (rather than a ticket).
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:36 AM

Absolutely.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:43 AM

Yes, we learned the hard way. I carry Everything in writing!
Have a great vacation!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:44 AM
sam

Every time I plan a vacation I have a folder and print out all confirmations and e-tickets and bring the folder with me. I include all flights, hotel addresses, confirmation numbers, directions and maps, restaurant & sightseeing suggestions, and any other info. I think I might need. I never bother to re-confirm reservations by phone, but I do go back to the website I used to book and make sure the reservation is still there. I personally have never run into any problems, but there's always a first time for everything (I don't want to jinx myself...lol)! Do what you feel comfortable with, and if you have the time, it won't hurt to double check.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:46 AM

Do you mean NOT bringing your plane tickets at all, just the printout of your flight? Or the printout in addition to your tickets? I, personally, would never feel comfortable leaving my plane tickets at home (although I do bring the printout too).

Yes, yes, yes on confirming EVERYTHING before leaving for vacation.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:52 AM

Ditto on bringing all documentation too. It's come in handy a couple of times.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:56 AM

I haven't had a plane "ticket" in at least 10 years. Never call anyone to confirm. I always get email confirmations. If there ever was an issue, I can acccess everything through my cell phone. Haven't ever had a problem.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:24 AM

I do not call to reconfirm reservations. I print out reservations made on line and I have never had a problem.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:36 AM

As a routine matter, I always reconfirm. Why not? Peace of mind is wonderful. The fact that you've never had a problem doesn't guarantee the same in the future.
PS: Reconfirming has saved travel disasters for me at least twice, when our reservations weren't in the computer when I called to reconfirm.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:50 AM

I also reconfirm. Last summer, on a trip to Aspen, by some cruel trick of the travel gods, all of our on-line reservations were lost or not honored. We had print-outs of our on-line confirmations, confirmation numbers galore, and none of it helped. A simple phone call would have revealed that the hotels did not have us booked.

This was using Orbitz which I have not used since. Apparently, even if Orbitz sends you a confirmation number, it is not mean you have a room. It just means that Orbitz received your reservation. In our case, the hotel got Orbitz's request for our room, rejected it, but Orbitz never gave us a notice saying our reservation had been rejected by the hotel. Not fun looking for a room on 4th of July weekend. Luckily, the hotel we were supposed to have reservations at did find a room for us but at another facility and outside of town- definitely learned our lesson!

I've never had a problem with airline tkts but better safe than sorry I guess? Have a great time on your vacation!

JaneR
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:55 AM
caribtraveler

I do book everything online, but I don't call to reconfirm. I call the airline to get the bulkhead seats (easier for our toddler) and I call the hotel to request non-smoking room. I guess it's indirectly reconfirming. So far, our names have always been where they were suppose to be.

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:06 AM

I never call to reconfirm. I do carry a folder with printouts of all email confirmations. Never had a problem.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:06 AM

I always reconfirm hotel reservations, especially any special requests (i.e., nonsmoking, king bed, newly renovated unit, view, etc.) Why not for piece of mind, especially if you have reservations all over; then you are less likely to have any issues at check in. We went all over Arizona last fall and had reservations at 5 different places; most were all set when I called to confirm, however one didn't have anything down regarding the particular room requests.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:10 AM

I never reconfirm. Domestically I use the easy check in computers to fly so printouts don't matter. I've only once had a hotel reservation disappear (in Paris) and the Hotel helped me get a better room at another hotel (for the same price).
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:27 AM
Cassandra

I don't call the airlines to reconfirm but I DO DO DO check my itinerary on line (I always book on airline websites, never Orbitz or the like) because some of them have a bad habit of changing flight numbers, departure times, and seat assignments without letting anyone know. I check once a week until the week before travel, then daily (although most unexpected changes tend to happen about a month ahead of time, if you've booked way in advance).

Haven't yet had the nerve to use on-line check-in, but otherwise always travel on an e-ticket but carry the "receipt" I get by email as back-up documentation.

I print out all hotel reservations both from the initial booking and from their email notification. I don't usually call to reconfirm unless it would be a very big problem if there were no room. However, I often have reason to call the hotel directly about something -- e.g., late arrival, reconfirm and restate special request such as no-smoking, etc. That would uncover a problem, I suspect.

Have never reconfirmed a car rental, because it's often an act of faith to book something anyway -- and I have been known to trot very conspicuously to the next rental desk over if there is ever a problem.

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:06 AM

I don't usually call, but I did yesterday for our upcoming trip to Maui. We booked with Funjet and Hotwire, and didn't feel as confident with them as I do with Expedia/Travelocity.

But it's all good! Glad I double checked. I also make sure to bring every document I can think of.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions and insights. We rarely travel and I'm a tad nervous with the idea of "electronic tickets" and nothing besides a printout in my hand. Cassandra...thanks for the tip about going back and checking your reservations made on-line at orbitz or wherever....I did just that and saw that they changed some of the flight times, seating assignments and even a flight number.
One more question....when you have "electronic tickets"...do they ever actually hand you tickets that you take to the gate? Will there be paper tickets at any point for any segments of the connecting flights, or always just the electronic ticket?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:35 AM

mwessel, no actual ticket. You'll get a boarding pass.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:37 AM

I would call eveybody you have any kind of reservations with. We are leaving July 1st to tour all over the west...and I have Gouldings (Monument Valley) call me the other day and want to know why I didn't show up. They had me down for June instead of July

Jeannie
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:43 AM

I have been in the travel industry for many years and I ALWAYS reconfirm a day or two prior to departure to avoid any ugly surprises.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -