Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Do we want to eat at these restaurants in Santa Fe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/do-we-want-to-eat-at-these-restaurants-in-santa-fe-838667/)

PamNC May 4th, 2010 08:52 AM

Do we want to eat at these restaurants in Santa Fe?

This is our fourth trip to Santa Fe and we have eaten at the usual suspects from Geronimo and The Compound to The Shed and Castro's. We thoroughly adore the food in the area, one of the main reasons for our return, and will go anywhere that is highly recommended. While moeny is not an issue, we don't feel obligated to eat in "fine dining" establishments where they are serving food that we can get at home. We want good local food. So far, we have planned to eat at The Shed, my husband wouldn't make the trip without a stop there, and La Boca..yummy. Each trip, we try to add some new restaurants to the list. The 4 new ones that we are considering for our vacation later this month are - La Plazuela, Espazote - mole specialities, Ristra and The Zia Diner. Please give us your thoughts!

Also, we are making a day trip to Taos, and I've read about Rellanos; their specialty being just that. Not much of a looker from the outside, but I've heard that they are quite good. What say you?

Thanking you in advance -

DebitNM May 4th, 2010 09:16 AM

LaBoca has been getting less than favorable reports lately, El Mason might be the way to go for tapas. Try LaChoza instead of The Shed, same owners, more locals. Restaurant Martin is new and getting lots of good feedback, I am having my birthday dinner there. I don't know the other places you have listed.

For Taos, Lambert's is always excellent as is Grahams Grill and we had a nice meal at The Love Apple a few weeks ago.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/702...s;topic-702295

saige May 4th, 2010 09:25 AM

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...iew-49877.html This is the Fodors review of the Zia Diner. We've eaten there on several trips to Santa Fe and enjoyed it.

LowCountryIslander May 4th, 2010 11:31 AM

Bookmarking this thread for reference for my Sept. trip to Santa Fe.

Echnaton May 4th, 2010 11:55 AM

La Plazuela serves excellent tableside prepared, customized guacamole. Guacamole and margaritas make an excellent combination. Feast on that and eat just another starter or small dish as a second course. We also enjoy the ambiance of La Plazuela, either in the morning or at night.

BeachGirl247 May 4th, 2010 11:59 AM

Love going to the Shed, too. It's part of a welcome-to-Santa Fe ritual having a 'rita in their courtyard or eating at their bar with the locals.

Restaurant Martin is hot and getting rave reviews by chefs and locals alike. Geronimo was a miss the last couple of times within the year so I hesitate recommending one of my old favorites.

La Boca seems hit or miss on the reports lately but we're eating there in a couple of weeks and will report back on it. Loved it in the past.

For mole, I haven't found one anywhere I like as well as Cafe Pasqual's. Hers is so rich and delicious, it's a must for lunch.

In Taos we really enjoy Graham's Grill and Lambert's, too. Not a fan of Michael's Kitchen or Orlando's.

Instead of reposting a lot of this, here is a recent posting of my restaurant recs:

My favorites are:
Tia Sophia - New Mexican cooking with excellent green and red chile.
Cafe Pasqual for lunch or dinner. Breakfast, especially on weekends, will have a wait.
Anasazi on the patio or inside. We enjoy their patio on a nice day or evening.
La Boca -- one of my favorite Santa Fe restaurants (hope it still is holding up)
Rio Chama or Del Charro for a steak burger or bar experience
The Shed - I like the ambiance and service better than La Choza
Bistro 315 -- our go-to favorite spot
Upper Crust Pizza - not your everyday pizza
Amaya - Italian with cozy atmosphere
Geronimo - this used to be a favorite for fine dining. Much has changed and now it's hit or miss so I'm hesitant to recommend.

Tia Sophia's for New Mexican breakfast and lunch. I can't imagine a trip to SF without eating here.
Tomasita's - the food delivers my much needed red and green chile cravings. It has been a winner of best green and best red chile in past years. Located in the rail yard
Cafe Pasqual's - love their lunches and dinners more than breakfasts
Blue Corn Cafe - still a reliable spot for lunch and dinner
Coyote Cantina - a good spot for drinks and appetizers. Service is still slow and spotty.
Coyote Cafe -- chef Eric DiStefano from Geronimo has brought this back to life. It isn't the best but should give you a very nice dinner spot
Geronimo -- Chef Eric is back in the picture but I don't think it's as good as it was even last year. Maybe they just stumbled this summer, I don't know.
Andiamo! - casual Italian
Amavi - nice Italian in the spot where Julian's used to be on Shelby Street. Romantic atmosphere.
SantaCafe - hit or miss for us every single time. It has a great courtyard for outdoor dining.
The Compound - haven't been in over a year but I hear it is still good.
La Boca -- Love this restaurant. Wonderful Spanish menu. He used to be the chef at El Farol for many years. Hearing different comments lately so we'll see if they can keep up with their initial reputation.
El Farol - still a favorite for evening entertainment or cocktails. I just love the ambiance of it. It's loud and crowded when the bands are there.
*Bistro 315 - This French bistro always delivers for us. A favorite of ours. He just opened the Italian restaurant, La Stazione, in the railyard area.
Ore House - margaritas and chips kind of place for us. Sit on the balcony for people-watching in the plaza.
The Shed - love the ambiance and shed red! Traditional New Mexican.
La Choza - sister restaurant to The Shed is still good as well
The Bar at Rio Chama - great burgers and steaks. Good spot if you want to watch a game, too.
Pink Adobe -- well, the Dragon Room bar definitely lost its charm when it sold to the group that owns Five Graces behind it. Food is ok and it has a lovely outdoor dining area now.
Cowgirl Cafe - good food and fun atmosphere
Del Charro Saloon - fun bar that serves great burgers and great atmosphere
Tesuque Village Market - was really good then it's fallen off. Hit and miss. I don't know what to say about a place that allows their kitchen to run out of red sauce. In New Mexico!
Fuego's at La Posada - if you want a multi-course gourmet meal this is the spot. Excellent service and a delicious meal. Perfect for a special evening.
Harry's Roadhouse - I love this quirky spot that serves a little of everything.
Maria's -- the margaritas are still the strongest in town. Food is ok but not great.
La Casa Sena - we don't go as often but it is still a wonderful setting with a great wine list and menu. Their courtyard is wonderful dining spot if the weather permits.
Ristra - has been good for us but a friend just returned and said it wasn't good all around the table.
Sleeping Dog Tavern - another spot that gives us a great meal without a lot of fluff.
Upper Crust Pizza - still serving up the best pizza Santa Fe style. I never thought I would have pizza in Santa Fe but boy am I glad I did. Green chile, chorizo and red onion on wheat.

Hope you can find some that fit the bill for your trip. Like you, we have our "go-to" favorites that will always be on the list a a new ones well as trying a new one or two as well.

ElendilPickle May 4th, 2010 12:58 PM

Epazote just got a good review in the Albuquerque Journal. I haven't tried it, though.

Lee Ann

PamNC May 4th, 2010 01:11 PM

Echnaton - Thanks for the thumbs-up on La Plazuela as their menu looks quite good.

Beachgirl247 - I will anxiously be awaiting your critique of La Boca. We just love it and I would hate to hear that they are faltering. I think we should look into Restaurant Martin as this is the 3rd time I've heard about it. The menu looks intriguing, not quite as "local" as I would prefer, but that's ok. Mole is a fav of my husand's, that was my reasoning for Espazote. However, no one has directly commented on that restaurant. Believe it or not, we will finally be trying Tia Sophia's this trip. Our problem is that we aren't usually too hungry in the a.m. as we'll done ourselves in the night before, and then we hate to indulge too much on a lunch as we usually have great dinner reservations. Too many wonderful restaurants and soooo little time. Thanks for reprinting your extensive, informative restaurant list. I've referred to it in the past. I think that it's so special to have first-hand info. from individuals who have actually eaten at a particular restaurant and aren't a paid advertisement for them. Have a great trip!

PamNC May 4th, 2010 01:19 PM

Oops...ElendilPickle..Above I had mentioned that I hadn't received any direct comment, as in someone actually having dined there, re Espazote. However, I truly appreciate hearing that it got a good review in the Albuquerque Journal. I was unable to pull-up the review, so I think we are just going to wing it and give it a try. I will report back. Thanks!

salina5 Jul 23rd, 2010 09:42 AM

If you can, try to watch the sun set at the Stakeout restaurant, South of Taos, either outside or inside. It's lovely!

AnnMarie_C Jul 23rd, 2010 11:32 AM

Great recs, bookmarking.

BeachGirl247 Jul 23rd, 2010 12:11 PM

** Tia Sophia's ** Our favorite spot in the mornings. We love everything about the place and are "regulars" on our trips.

If your dh love's mole, he needs to have Cafe Pasqual's chicken mole. I take home frozen mole every trip. I think it's some of the best I've ever had.

bniemand Aug 6th, 2010 08:58 AM

Bookmarking -- and getting hungry!

passerbye Aug 6th, 2010 09:31 AM

Also bookmarking -- and wondering at which restaurant you'll find the best tamales. It's puzzling that they don't appear on many menus.

martym Aug 6th, 2010 10:10 AM

I don't know if they're the best--but the tamales at Maria's are pretty good.

amwosu Aug 6th, 2010 11:16 AM

Wow Beachgirl. My revised plan for the Fodor's GTG is just to follow you around!
Ann Marie

paula1470 Aug 6th, 2010 05:54 PM

I'm following you, too!!

BeachGirl247 Aug 7th, 2010 07:59 AM

I'm so shallow -- while I'm eating one meal I'm planning the next. :D

iamq Aug 7th, 2010 08:32 AM

bookmarking

ncounty Aug 29th, 2010 12:42 PM

ditto