Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do we need a rental car to get into Whaler village & Lahanina? Staying at FS in Maui. My husband does not want to drive.

Do we need a rental car to get into Whaler village & Lahanina? Staying at FS in Maui. My husband does not want to drive.

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We will be at FS Maui in from December 12 to 16. My husband does not really want to drive. If we don't rent a car, is there a way to get around to Lahaina, Whaler village & etc? How much is the taxi cost each way and is there a shuttle available? Thank you.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 12:18 PM
bonniebroad

Clear, there is a shuttle / bus system running on Maui now ... see the link below. I haven't been there since it's inception, and we wouldn't really use it because we always rent a car. Hope this will be what you're looking for..... I think you'll miss a lot on Maui by not renting a car, though, and it's an easy place to get round!

http://www.akinatours.com/maui_shuttle.htm

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 02:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
public transportation is still not great in Maui, most people rent cars. I would just have your hotel reserve a car for the day for you. They will pick you up at your hotel.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 09:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is very easy and relaxed driving in Maui, I would get a car so you can enjoy this beautiful island. Usually parking is free just about anywhere you would go.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We all agree that driving around the island is the way to go. YOu can barely get lost and it is such a beautiful place to explore. Everyone seems to drive a Mustang convertable.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:30 PM
gyppielou

No car? No exploring? Oh the horror of it!!! That said, since your time is short and if you're looking for a resort destination rather than an island destination, stick to the shops at Wailea and kick back and savour the glory of the 4S. Quality vs. quantity, although not hanging at Makena a few short miles away does seem tragic. You can see an awful lot investing just 3 hours out of your morning, afternoon or early evening each day, leaving plenty of resort time. Have a blast!

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 03:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your husband doesn't want to drive, why don't you? I do 95%+ of the driving on our trips. Although the roads in Costa Rica, coupled with a manual transmission, got the best of me.. But, Maui is easy.

Jean