Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do really big movie stars and and other well known people fly commerical airlines? If so, who?

Search

Do really big movie stars and and other well known people fly commerical airlines? If so, who?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fly from New York City to LA on a regular basis and never have seen a big name movie or TV star on the plane. Though I understand that these superstars spend alot of time going from their homes on the Upper East Side (NYC) and Beverly Hills. How do they get places without being hassled in airports?

I am talking about the really big stars!
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 04:35 AM

A long time ago, far far away, I worked and lived in Hollywood. A certain person and a friend and I flew to Mexico. When we got to the airport, we were whisked into a golf cart thingee and taken between walls, to where the VIP lounge was. There they brought us breakfast and we were fairly secluded, although a little boy did get an autograph. We were first on the plane-First Class and first off.
But then, flying home not too long ago from Florida, we sat beside Tony Bennett so not everyone hides when they travel.
Often times, reeeally big stars don't fly commercial, they have chartered planes.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 04:58 AM

I see famous people all the time on AA in first class, especially between LA and NY. I sat next to Dennis Rodman on one flight to LA. No one really bothered him. Since no one but ticketed passengers can get into the terminal, I think it must be much easier for them to travel. Dennis boarded the plane at the last minute but everyone knew he was out in the waiting area on his phone.
Other recent spottings include:
Alec Baldwin, Ewan Macgregor (sp), Marisa Tomei, Kim Basinger, Halle Berry, and more...
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 05:06 AM

I was reading recently that Richard Simmons decided to play greeter on a recent flight and went around first class asking everyone their name, then doing the "name game song". I'm sure he had his signature micro shorts. Somehow, I would imagine hell being quite similar.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 05:11 AM

I've flown with several notables between St. Maarten and Miami/NYC. I have typically found them to be in first class and to be boarded last. I have also seen some notables in coach, which always surprises me.

What I hate seeing is those who get a "don't you know who I am" attitude, and refuse to follow the rules like the rest of us. arrrghh.

I agree that most of the REALLY famous people travel by private jet, however.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 05:14 AM

Oh, my God, Ryan. I'd better change my ways. Suddenly Hell sounds much worse than I ever guessed!!
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 05:26 AM

If I were in a good mood (which is usual) I think seeing Richard Simmons acting like a fool in person might be a real hoot.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 05:51 AM

Both my husband and father fly regularly for business. Between them they have run into numerous former sports stars flying COACH (Tony Dorsett, Muhammed Ali, more that I can't remember).
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 05:56 AM

I would love to see Richard Simmons, too! Someone who has dedicated their life to the joy and happiness of others would be a real treat in an environment where people tend to be moody and feel like cattle.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 06:02 AM

Have run into a couple of recognizable famous names (Cher, Gwyneth Paltrow, Viggo Mortensen) flying first class usually from New York to London or Paris. Typically they wait in a closed VIP lounge and board at the last minute so few passengers know they're on the plane. But I'm sure many of the biggest stars fly charter at times to avoid hassles.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 06:11 AM

Re Richard Simmons- Where was he flying?- to Neverland??
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 06:52 AM

Troll post! Troll post! Bunchargum, it IS you! Oh, how we've missed you!

Quick answer: If the VIP in question requires no special security provisions (and isn't pulling diva BS like "clear First Class for me and my entourage NOW!"), why shouldn't they travel on commercial aircraft? Convenient, cheaper than hiring a plane (despite everyone's fantasies, most working actors aren't incredibly rich-- their money gets tied up in trusts and other investment vehicles). Most people respect their privacy, anyway.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

I am curious if all these superstars have to wait with the rest of us "little people" at the baggage claim?

Also who determines if a person is a VIP and can wait in that special waiting area? What if their last two movies bombed? Do they have to go through security like the rest of us, or do they come into a special door?

I am talking about the really big stars like Julia Roberts, Harrison Ford, etc. I just can not picture these people standing around the baggage claim or a long security line like the rest of us!
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 06:59 AM

Harrison Ford is a licensed helicopter pilot, so I doubt he hangs out in the terminals. Go over to the General Aviation area and see him with the other pilots.

A lot of celebrities and athletes go on private charters. The college basketball teams here (Duke, UNC - top 10 schools) take private charters to games.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 07:04 AM

You will occasionally hear of special waiting areas for VIPs. And if someone is "big" enough to have an entourage, the celeb will be hustled off to a waiting limo while someone else takes care of the luggage.

However, I do travel in and out of LAX once in a while and I HAVE seen "famous" people waiting at Baggage Claim, same as everyone else. I repeat: Even the famous celebs are merely working folk as far as they're concerned. J-Lo left aside (please!), they don't beg for deferential treatment.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 07:18 AM

If a big star is on a press junket for a new movie, they often fly in the jet of the distribution company... Sony, Paramount, etc...
I am unaware of special hidden rooms in airports but I know that AA has a special VIP code that can be added to a FF number. AA decides who gets that designation.
The meet/greet at the airports. Some of the VIP's are not famous, you know. There are CEO's, authors, producers, etc that fly in virtual anonymity but are treated the same as a movie star by the airlines. I sat across from Johnnie Cochran once and had no clue who he was but could tell he was a VIP because AA had a meet and greet at the gate for him.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 07:54 AM

Regarding the baggage claim issue, I saw Oliver Stone arrive in SXM one holiday season. He was such a jerk, yelling at everyone "isn't there anyone around here to help with bags!"

Then, he was shaking his fist and hollering "don't you know who I am!," when the security guard wouldn't allow him to return to the secured baggage claim area once he'd left it. It was all rather appalling.

On the same note, I sat in the departure hall with Vanessa Williams once and she was as nice, courteous and down to earth as can be.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 10:06 AM

I was on an SF-LA flight with Robin Williams once. He flew coach, and his luggage came off the conveyor with everyone else's, although his limo driver was there to handle it for him.

He also waited in the general boarding area, but was looking and acting very "incognito." He was wearing a funky cap pulled down over his face, and he stood at the pay phones pretending to be a blue collar worker having a conversation with someone about a truck. (I happened to be sitting nearby.)

Pretty funny, eh? (Ryan, I was on a flight with Richard Simmons, too!)
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 10:35 AM

TxTravelPro has it pretty much down. I've seen countless celebs, some very famous, some not, while traveling up front on AA. There may be a VIP lounge in LAX or one of the NYC airports, which I don't know about, but AA just like all the other airlines have their own lounges. AA has Flagship Lounges(first class) at few airports and Admirals Clubs at pretty much all the semi to major airports. The only difference between a celeb and you and me if you're not a member of the AA AC or are not flying first class, you and I can't get in, the celebs will get a free pass. They are usually met by 'special services' rep who will help them with everything and also make sure they can if they so desire get into the clubs. I've seen many in the AC clubs in ORD and DFW. Recently for the first time ever I was able to get into the ORD Flagship Lounge because of my new status and while enjoying the free drink of Grey Goose vodka from the open bar I noticed some commotion. Saw a small group of people with a very cute young lady between them being led by one of the uniformed special service people. I did not recognize who that was, but discreetly asked the gate keeper on my way out who it was, and it turned out to be some new British pop idol going home from a meeting with some record execs in Chicago.
So folks it happens more tham you think. Few years ago when I only flew 1 or 2 times a year, I too believed that the stories I heard were made up, because I never ran into anybody, but once I started to fly internationally very frequently, I do run into celbs very often.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 10:40 AM
GoTravel

I can never spot celebs so I don't know which class they fly. I'm usually too busy working or sleeping on cross country flights to check out who is around me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -