Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do O'Hare Taxis Take Credit Cards?

Many in NY do, wondering about Chicago.

Thanks.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:28 AM

I would suggest the opposite - I've rarely encountered taxis in NYC that will take cards, even if there is a sign that says so. The drivers are simply not willing to cut into their profit.

In Chicago, all cabs take cards as a rule. It says so on your taxi rider bill of rights
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:08 AM

lizziea06 - it is a 'rule' but they don't like to either. I've taken more than a few chicago taxis that have given me a hard time about this.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:13 AM

Hard time vs. flat out refusal. I find it's usually effective to tell that you have no cash, just a card
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 09:22 AM

Sorry - very few taxis in NYC take credit cards. They're testing a new high tech plan that will include that as part of the package - in 200 cabs - out of I believe 30,000 - early this year.

Many CAR SERVICES in NYC will take credit cards if you organize it in advance - but very few cabs in NYC.

Have never tried in Chicago - since the fares are usually so low using a CC vs cash doesn't seem to make sense.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM

Yes it's true that taxis in Chicago are required to take credit cards, however as a resident who takes many cabs I can tell you that many will give you a VERY hard time. From O'Hare I actually had a police officer hail a cab for me and make sure that the driver would accept credit. I had no cash after a wonderful trip to Hawaii, but once the cabbie had me in the car he refused to take the card. I had to have him stop at an ATM for cash. I reported the incident and many others, but do not think anything is ever done to the drivers who take advantage and break the law. I would recommend carrying enough cash for the ride in order to avoid any hassle. If you can not carry that much cash and have an incident like mine I would simply threaten to call the police on the spot. It's what I will do the next time I have a problem.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM

I suppose by hard time I should specified, it wasn't just an 'aw shucks do I have ?it was swearing, yelling, refusal, belligerence, and me threatening not to pay the fare if he didn't take my card 'hard time'. I'm a resident who averages one taxi a week and always make sure I have the cash for it.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM

Agree with everyone, Chicago cabs are supposed to take cards but they hate it. They'll give you a sob story about how their parent company takes 10% "card processing fee" off of their fare, plus they don't get paid right away.

I usually tip a bit extra if I'm using a CC because I don't think the cabby should take the hit.

I also tell them very clearly, the second I step in the car, that I'm using a card. That way, if they want to not take me as a fare (and risk getting in big trouble), I can offer to take the next taxi if they are complaining badly enough.