Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Do Key West's parking garages fill up? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/do-key-wests-parking-garages-fill-up-717792/)

karameli Jul 2nd, 2007 02:14 PM

Do Key West's parking garages fill up?

We're hoping to go to Key West later this month. We're planning to rent a car from MIA and drive. Here are my options:

OPTION A: Rent a car at MIA ($60/day), drive it to EYW, drop it off, and take a cab to the hotel ($15). Do the same thing on the way home (another $75).

OPTION B: Rent a car at MIA, drive it to Key West, and park it in one of the city's garages ($120 for the rental, $50-ish for the garage). But I'm having PTSD from working in NYC...do the garages fill up? Any chance we'd be stuck without garage parking?

Cost-wise they're only a few dollars apart, and option B seems easier IF we can get parking. Just a note, flying into Key West International is NOT an option because from PHL it adds $400 per person to the cost of the trip!

Thanks!

amcc Jul 2nd, 2007 02:21 PM

I've never had a problem getting a space in the garages in August when we've driven our car down. Some of the hotels, even some b & b have parking, though. Are you sure yours doesn't?

karameli Jul 2nd, 2007 03:08 PM

Yep, I'm sure. Their website says they have no lot or reserved spots...only off-street parking. But if the lots don't fill up, that works for me! :)

charron53 Jul 2nd, 2007 03:18 PM

Dear K
Off street parking means they do have parking at the curb, you just have to snag a parking spot before they are all taken, never been a promblem for me. You can always find a parking space somewhere near your hotel. You may not be able to park right in front.

karameli Jul 2nd, 2007 03:26 PM

Charron -- so is the off-street parking free? Again, I'm picturing off-street parking in NYC, where there are time limits, meters, restrictions, or some combination of the above! If I can leave my car there and forget about it, I don't care how far I have to park. But I'm having visions of my SoBe trip, where I was feeding the meters a few times a day!

amcc Jul 3rd, 2007 04:43 AM

I think the meters are on the streets closest to Duval. As you move a couple of blocks away, there are more resident areas, and the other parking areas don't have a meter. Make sure to ask at the hotel which are the parking spaces that visitors can park in on the street. About two years ago, the resident spaces had the curb painted some color and the rest were for anyone.

GvilleCreative Jul 3rd, 2007 05:37 AM

Key West is a great little town. You're going to have a great time! My boyfriend is from the Keys and we go several times per year.

Parking won't be a problem. You WILL find a spot, but you are going to have to walk a few blocks-- no problem! :) Just be sure to wear shoes and clothing for the warm August weather.

karameli Jul 3rd, 2007 08:26 AM

Okay, great. Sounds like I'll be able to leave my car somewhere, which makes me happy...it just makes life easier to rent the car for the full visit.