Search

Do I Want to be in Portsmouth?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Amy
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I Want to be in Portsmouth?

That sounds pretty silly, I realize; I should know what I want, right?

This is the background: Nine of us will be traveling back to Pennsylvania from Prince Edward Island over a July Saturday/Sunday. Six will be going to Philadelphia and three to western PA (Altoona area.)

So, what I'm looking for is a good stopping point more than halfway home, lodgings that might include a family suite (family with three kids), and a bit of space to walk and explore after being in the car all day.

Portsmouth seemed like a reasonable choice in terms of mileage and breaking off for the western contingent, but I'd love to hear any other suggestions/ideas/reasons Portsmouth isn't the best choice.

(By the way, stopping twice on the way back isn't practicable for most of us, as much as we'd like to.)
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 06:07 AM

I think it's as good as any. It's on your route, halfway for Altoona and over halfway for Philly. You'll all be exhausted and won't be up for doing much anyway. If you had more time, I'd suggest Portland, but I'm a big fan of covering as much ground as you can on day one.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 06:22 AM

Downtown Portsmouth is a small, old seaport city with lots of history and charm. Several good restaurants, and a nice park near the water. Try and stay in the downtown, not on the highway outskirts, which are typical 'mall sprawl' areas.
If you want something more beachy, consider York or Ogunquit Maine which are just over the border.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 12:56 PM

It looks like the Sheraton Harborside is a great location. I think it might be the only hotel with lots to do within walking distance.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!

Unfortunately, it looks like the night we need to be there (July 12) is super busy in Portsmouth: everything is either already booked or super expensive or both. (I do realize it's high season!)

I'm thinking of maybe going a bit inland...Nashua, perhaps? After all, we won't be there very long, wherever it is!
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 01:36 PM

Athough it's considered a very livable city, Nashua is not particularly memorable or interesting. I'd go for Portland Maine, Portsmouth NH or one of the Maine towns in between. There are hundreds of hotels and motels in this area. If you want to go away from the busy seashore, Durham & Exeter NH are nice towns.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 01:56 PM

I understand that you're just looking for a relatively pleasant stopover and not a major attraction, but Nashua would not be a good choice. It seems to be on the way, but the drive to Nashua from your route (assuming that you're following 95 -> 495 -> 90) involves a maddening 10-mile drive on a busy, 2-lane road. And, Nashua is utterly without charm. (I lived there for 15 years.) Nashua does have several chain-type hotels, so you would be able to find accommodations. Almost all of the restaurants are nondescript chain places, except for Michael Timothy's in downtown. None of the hotels are downtown, though.

If Portsmouth doesn't work, Newburyport might be a very good alternative. Really nice town with great atmosphere, just a very few miles out of your way.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Thanks so much, those are just the kinds of things that I need to know.

I haven't spent much time at all in the New England states, and it's not easy to gauge what's best just by maps and town websites. I will look into Newburyport, Durham, and Exeter for starters!
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 02:28 PM

$259 for the Hampton Inn Exeter...expensive but at least they have rooms.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 03:27 PM

Wow, there really isn't much out there for your dates.

The Hampton Inn Haverhill is on your route and $132 AAA rate. But there isn't much in Haverhill. It would just be a place to crash for the night without breaking the bank.

I agree that you don't want to go up to Nashua. The highway was widened, so the drive isn't as bad, but it's out of your way and there aren't any downtown hotels.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Thanks so very much, rizzo! The Hampton looks perfect--and Haverhill is the birthplace of John Greenleaf Whittier, so what more could one want?

In truth, we'll probably be exhausted enough by the drive to have a pretty quiet evening, anyway. And the Hampton allows five to a room, perfect for the family with three kids...for one night.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Amy
Original Poster

PS: By the way, we're going up much in a much more leisurely way and will be spending two nights in Portland (as well as three in Boston area and two in New Brunswick), so it's nice to know it's recommended.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 06:49 PM

Just be sure you pronounce it "Hayvrull" and not "Hayver-hill"!
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 06:27 AM

And in Haverhill there is a delicious flatbread pizza place called Krugers. In an old mill building in downtown near the train station. Or right near the Hampton there is a movie theater called Chunky's that serves meals and you sit on old Cadillac bench seats.
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Amy
Original Poster

Rizzo0904, I just wanted to thank you again for that recommendation for the Hampton Inn in Haverhill: it was perfect for our needs and very easy-off, easy-on, which certainly helps when the trip is that long.

Thanks to everyone for all of the help!