Notices

Do I need to change money to take to Mexico?

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need to change money to take to Mexico?

I am going to Mexico next week and was wondering if I needed to take any Mexican money with me, I know some places take American Dollars, and some people recommend just taking a credit card. How much, if any should I take? I Have already booked an all-inclusive vacation.
Thanks for any help
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:41 PM

Where are you going?

If you are going to somewhere that's going to have ATMs, like an international airport instead of a small border town, I'm not sure you need to exchange until you get to Mexico and find an ATM.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:46 PM

We visit Mexico City fairly often to visit family there and usually just change some dollars at the airport or get pesos from the ATM there. Since you are at an all inclusive you may not need a whole lot of cash. Tips in dollars would be welcome, but you may want to have some pesos for smaller purchases that donlt reach credit card level - things like cab fare, quick lunch in town, etc.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Going to Cancun. Thanks for the advice, you were a great help!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 03:19 AM

DON'T exchange at the airport - it's the most expensive.

In Cancun, almost all of the places take USD or credit cards. I recommend traveler's checks. Mexico is one of the top credit card fraud countries. (We got hit a couple of years ago in Playa del Carmen for $250, but did not have to cover it.)

If you would like to pay with pesos, ask for the rate at your hotel - the front desk will usually exchange - and if it's too high, get them in town or at one of the malls at the "cambio" (money exchange window).

You can also exchange at ATM's as another poster mentioned, or at the bank. Again, check the rate.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 03:28 AM

We/ve always used US dollars in Cancun with no problem. Just bring small bills because they will give you change in pesos.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:08 AM

With the exception of low/no fee CCs and ATMs, all of the above will incurr "high" currency conversion fees.
There are scores, if not hundreds of posts in the last 15 months with more details than you ever wanted.
M
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:09 AM

Hi

I believe from what I know that you've been given sound advice so far. US dollars to my understanding are taken in resort-type areas with high foreigner influx such as Cancun. For the two places I visited, Monterrey and Mexico City, with a fraction of tourists proportionally, I was glad I had some pesos for taxis, public transit, vendors and restaurants. Typically I'd buy 500 pesos (US$50) from a bureau de change in Canada to have ready, and then get more pesos at an ATM once in Mexico.

As for your trip, while you might not need pesos for the resort area or town of Cancun, if you travel around a bit to less-touristed areas, you may find them very useful.

DAN
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:18 AM
GoTravel

In Cancun, most places will take US$$s but some will give you change in MX$$s.

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:54 AM

Cancun is different from the rest of Mexico in this way (that USD is widely accepted). Just a note for other people who might be reading this thread.

If the destination was Puerto Vallarta for example you would want to withdraw or change money to have peso after arrival.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:56 AM

We use credit cards and ATM machines, and have never had a problem.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 01:42 PM

Went to Playa Del Carmen for honeymoon years back - loved it - exchanged money there with no problem - enjoy!!