Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

DO I need current passport to purchase plane tix to Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I plan to fly to Europe in late June.
I tried to see if there were flights with available seating on Icelandic Air
Before I could get to the screen that showed available seats, there was a required place for our passport numbers w/ exp dates.
Our passports ran out just this month. We plan to renew them. So,do we Have to have current passports to reserve tickets?

Many thanks
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 06:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If the airline requires the #/date -- they require them. Renew your passports now. It only takes a couple of weeks to get back.

But I'd also try two other steps -- 1) bypass that field if the site lets you. And if that doesn't work 2) try entering the old passport # and a date after your return flight date -- you can modify the record after you get the new passports.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 06:55 PM
cw

I made reservations a few years ago on Iceland Air. I remember the same question but I didn't have our passports handy. So I was able to continue and figured I'd just go back and fill in the information. I think I tried that later but not sure I was able to--but had no problem at all at the airport.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 03:17 AM

They care because if they let you on the plane, they are responsible for getting you home if you are refused entry abroad, but these seem like reasonable things to try.

I would not delay in getting my passports renewed. Like right now. This is the time MANY people decide they want to go to Europe this summer, and many of them will also need passports.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 05:02 AM

I'm not aware that you have to have a valid passport simply to make an international airline reservation. However, you must give the airline your passport information before you fly (that's a U.S. law), and most airlines require you to do this in advance, though not upon purchase (though all give you that option). But if you are renewing your passport, you will still have the same number, so you could use the number on your expired passport to book the tickets with Icelandic Air.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 07:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd pick up the phone and give them a call. Ask the airline... Is there a way to book online at their website w/out having a passport number?
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 07:12 AM

I would call the airline.

It might cause big problems at check-in if your original passport # and the renewals don't match.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 07:19 AM

I renewed my passport last year and it did NOT have the same number as the old one.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doug,
They will NOT have the same passport number. I just renewed mine and the number is copletely different from my old one.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 11:47 AM

I just checked my current US Passport and the expired one and my current US Passport has a complete different number than my expired one also.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 12:51 PM

Doug... never have my renewed passports had the same number as the earlier one.

OP - As others, renew your passport NOW. You don't want to chance running into the other hundreds/thousands who plan to travel this summer. And since passports have to be good for 6/month after arrival at your foreign destination, it's always best to renew a passport earlier than the expiry date, at least 6/month prior.