Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   DO I NEED A CAR IN VEGAS? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/do-i-need-a-car-in-vegas-356392/)

cms0515 May 7th, 2008 10:07 AM

DO I NEED A CAR IN VEGAS?

HI

WE WILL BE IN VEGAS 5 NIGHTS /5 FULL DAYS. WE ARE PLANNING POSSIBLY HOOVER DAM, RED ROCK, SHOPPING??? ONE DAY POSSIBLY AT THE SPA AND POOL TIME. WE ARE STAYING AT THE VENETIAN.

IT SEEMS MOST LIKELY A CAR WOULD BE MORE EXPENSIVE??

THANKS!

dmlove May 7th, 2008 10:09 AM

How were you planning to get to Hoover Dam and Red Rock? You don't need or even want a car IN Vegas (too much traffic, parking costs etc.).

Scarlett May 7th, 2008 10:14 AM

No, you do not need a car.
You can walk to all hotels along the strip from the Venetian.
You can go to a spa at any hotel. . I like the Bellagio.

The day you wish to see Red Rock, have the desk at the hotel get you a rental car, they deliver..drop it off when finished with it.

Rentals in Vegas for a day or 2 are not very expensive..unless you get a Corvette convertible or a Hummer...

You need to take off the Caps Lock now :)

cms0515 May 7th, 2008 10:26 AM

I hadn't looked into transportation available for Hoover Dam / Red Rock, any suggestions for transportation?

I would like to see the red rock landscape maybe without the trip to the grand canyon or can we take a plane to the grand canyon and tour without the helicopter tour?

Scarlett May 7th, 2008 11:10 AM

http://www.pinkjeep.com/jeep-tours/l...k-canyon.shtml

If you Google Red Rock Canyon Tours, you get a whole bunch.
Probably the same for Hoover Dam.

Red Rock Canyon is about 30 minutes , easy easy drive from the Strip...renting a car will be easier, cheaper and take as much time as you wish...with a tour, you are trapped with them til it is over. ( <i> a reason I never ever go on any sort of tours)</i>

lifelist May 7th, 2008 11:44 AM

You can just rent a car for one day. Drive over to Hoover Dam in the morning, and then do Red Rock in the afternoon/evening. There's an Avis office onsite at the Venetian, and a Dollar office across the street in the Treasure Island.

cms0515 May 7th, 2008 11:58 AM

Thanks so much for your help!

nohomers May 7th, 2008 01:31 PM

5 full days in Las Vegas is a lot of time to spend just on the strip. Having a car lets you see more of Las Vegas than just the strip. If you haven't spent much time in the southwest you should enjoy the scenery. So go ahead and rent a car for a couple of days to visit Red Rocks Park and the Hoover Dam, you won't regret it.

camias May 7th, 2008 04:37 PM

Parking in Vegas is generally free (downtown is an exception), most especially at the Strip hotels. You do not want to be driving down the Strip (Las Vegas Boulevard)though if you can help it. Since you are staying at the Venetian it is easy for you to take the back way - in and out.

Since you have 5 days - you may also want to go up to Mt. Charleston and also check out Lake Las Vegas. It is pretty over there.

NeoPatrick May 7th, 2008 05:34 PM

I've found that car rentals are really cheap in Vegas and the parking is free -- I much prefer self parking rather than wait forever for a valet if I want my car. So one day's rental tends to equal a taxi to the hotel, and another day's rental equals the taxi back. That only leaves the cost of three more days, and frankly I'd think you'd need a car for at least two of those days.

SandiBeach May 15th, 2008 04:26 PM

Just returned from Vegas 5/13/08 and stayed 5 nights at the Venetian. YES YES you should rent a car. We are so very glad we did. Picked it up at airport on our arrival and each day at some point used it. Traffic is the worst from 5:pm on primarily on just the strip, just deal with it, having your own wheels is well worth it. All the hotels on the main part of strip offer free self parking, only down by Freemont Street experience (old vegas) is there a charge. After two days in Vegas we needed to getouttathere and a drive out Lake Mead Blvd was a cure. Plus to say there is a lot of walking in Vegas is an understatement! Its marathon walking so your feet and legs will appreciate the break of cruising and viewing. Note, stiletto heels look good but are ridiculous walking the strip in Vegas. Great in the hotel, or at your door cabm valet service and drop off to event but most wear sneakers, flip-flops and moderate height wedge heels for walking. We did 5 miles first day from Venetian to NYNY and back around through hotels. We also took Mother's Day to drive out to Hoover Dam, This is a must see. Do leave by 9am to avoid weekend traffic. Once our Dam tour was over and we had seen it all and headed back about 1:30 the traffic snaked for miles to get there. If interested I'm posting our trip on the link, Can one really relax in Vegas given the constant stimulus.

TTess May 15th, 2008 09:32 PM

We always rent a car. My husband insists on it. The rates are good but the strip can get congested. Just plan ahead.