Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Disney's Animal Kingdom (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/disneys-animal-kingdom-48391/)

bernard Jul 12th, 1999 05:41 AM

Disney's Animal Kingdom

Has anyone been to the new Disney Animal Kingdom? Is it worth it? Both my kids (ages 19 & 16) love animals but we've read negative reviews of DAK from a number of tour books.

Bridget Jul 12th, 1999 07:34 AM

Bernard, <BR>I went last year with friends to WDW, and my boyfriend and I upgraded our world hopper passes to see the new animal kingdom. We really enjoyed that park, and it wasn't even complete yet! My favorite parts were the tree of life (Don't miss the 3-d movie under the tree, "It's Tough to be a BUG") and the ride called Countdown to Extinction. The whole atmosphere was so different, and yet so Disney. I thought the safari ride was lame, but since the park was so new, they were still working out kinks. Also, I heard they opened a new section of the park, devoted to Asia. My friends and I are in our early 20s, and we thoroughly enjoyed the park. Please write if you have more questions! <BR>Sincerely, <BR>Bridget

Scott in cowtown Jul 12th, 1999 09:52 AM

I'd just skip it. We (my wife and I ages 27/30) were there last month and were not that impressed. We'd read mixed reviews, and didn't know what to do. We had park Hopper passes and some time, and were there at opening on a Friday, gone at 1pm. The rides were not very good (especially the Safari- just go to a zoo). We missed the lion king show and were told it's the best thing there. If you have a parkhopper pass, go there late to see the 4 or 5 pm lion king show. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps.

Monica Richards Jul 12th, 1999 10:22 AM

I was there in October and I wasn't very impressed. If you have ever been to the Wild Animal Park or San Diego Zoo (or any other world-quality zoo) you will find Disney's Animal Park to be shallow and commercial. But I did really like the Bug's Life 3D movie there!

Monica Richards Jul 12th, 1999 10:23 AM

I was there in October and I wasn't very impressed. If you have ever been to the Wild Animal Park or San Diego Zoo (or any other world-quality zoo) you will find Disney's Animal Park to be shallow and commercial. But I did really like the Bug's Life 3D movie there!

Jeannette Jul 12th, 1999 10:39 AM

Hi Bernard <BR> <BR> <BR>My husband and I took our 19 year old son there at the end of May (before all the kids were out of school), and we were not all that impressed with it. There was an awful lot of walking as the attractions were pretty far apart. The jungle ride was OK, but nothing spectacular. The Asia exhibit was disappointing at best. We enjoyed the Lion King show more than anything else, but don't think I would spend that much money again just to see it. <BR> <BR>My son agreed that it was OK to see once but wished he had spent his time doing other things. <BR> <BR>One thing you might want to be sure and do instead of--or maybe in addition to the Animal Kingdom--is to go to Downtown Disney. My son particularly liked the nightlife there. We also enjoyed the whole atmosphere there--AND you don't need a ticket to see most of it. Be sure to go to the Disney Experience there. It was great--we spent almost a half day there. It has LOTS of new computer games and virtual reality stuff. It wasn't at all busy when we were there and we all made the comment that we enjoyed it far more than Animal Kingdom--besides it was AIR CONDITIONED. There is a price to get in but I have forgotten what it is--maybe around $12-$15. <BR> <BR>One thing you really should go to if you have time in that same area (in fact next door to the Disney Experience) is Cirque du Soleil. Absolutely wonderful show!!! It is expensive--around $50-$60 or so but well worth it if you are on vacation. You need to get tickets before hand. We went to the Disney Experience while we were waiting for our show to start. All in all the best day we had. <BR> <BR>Also, there are many many restaurants in that area. Try the Rainforest Cafe--a unique but loud restaurant (but my son really liked it). <BR> <BR>We have been to Disney World many times but wanted to see the new additions. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend Animal Kingdom--even though we went during a slower time of year for tourists, it was TERRIBLY crowded. I guess everyone wants to see what all the hoopla is about. Take my advice and don't bother. You will probably be frustrated and cranky when you finish.

Suz Jul 12th, 1999 01:43 PM

I have been to WDW numerous times, so when we went to Orlando last Sept., we decided to head to the newest park, The Animal Kingdom. I, too, love animals, and was a bit disappointed with the amount of animals we actuall SAW. The displays where the animals were supposed to be were very nice, but we hardly got a good view of any! The safari is not very good for an adult, although a child under 10 would probably enjoy it (it's supposed to be an eco-tour thru Africa, and then turns into a "scary" ride to capture wild animal poachers). <BR> <BR>Overall, it's an interesting atmosphere, and I'm glad I went once, but don't think I'd go back again. <BR> <BR>If you do go, definitely check out the Tree of Life and the 3-d Bug Movie they play there. It's the most impressive site they have there.

ilisa Jul 12th, 1999 04:43 PM

My husband and I were at Animal Kingdom just before it officially opened for a sneak preview. We loved it. We are going back to Disney in October for my 18th trip, and fully plan on going back. When we visited AK, we went without any expectations, but fully realized that this is Disney, and the park will be Disneyfied. Too many people go expecting it to be like a zoo, which it isn't. Disney never advertised it to be such a thing. They did not design it to be wall to wall animals. For example, in its own way, Disney did a very good job of recreating an African savannah. On a real safari, seeing the animals is a hit or miss thing. The same goes for Disney's version. Too many people take the safari and expect the animals to be lined up doing a song and dance. If you do go, and I suggest that you do, take the safari either early in the morning or late in the day to better your chances of seeing the animals. The park will get crowded since the pathways are small, so I suggest that you get there first thing in the day. The park is small, so you can probably do it in half a day. It's completely up to you whether or not to go. However, keep in mind that if you have Hopper or Length of Stay passes, the price is included. If you don't like it, you can always leave the park.

D. Rubinton Jul 13th, 1999 09:45 AM

We were there last August (no Asia). The Safari, Bug movie, Lion King Show and Countdown to extinction were great. Beautiful landscaping. There were enough other (minor) attractions to round out a day and enough animals to rival any zoo (live in NYC - been to all ours countless times, plus repeat visits to San Diego, San FRancisco and many others). In sum, it's more than a zoo but less than a theme park in the traditional sense.

laura Jul 13th, 1999 03:52 PM

My husband and I have been to the animal kingdom twice since it opened. It is my favorite park yet. The landscaping and the laid-back, walk-around and hang out atmosphere is great. The safari is, as someone else put it, hit or miss. We saw that first thing in the morning and saw most of the animals that we expected to see - and very close up, I might add. Because the park is small, it's fun to just relax, take your time, and wander through the many "nature walks." We saw the tigers and other cool animals up close on the nature walks. Asia was open the second time we were there. THe raft ride is fun, but very short!!! OVerall, I think it was very well laid out and very well planned. If you're a nature lover, you'll like it. Don't miss it, really! It's a nice break from the constant bombardment of the senses that the other parks there offer.

ANA LUISA Jul 14th, 1999 06:33 AM

My husband and I (31-30) have been to Animal Kingdom twice. The first time it was in september/98. It was too crowded and there was no Asia yet. The second time was last february, and the Asia pavillion was almost ready. We did go on the raft ride, which was very nice, A Bug's Life and the Countdown to Extintion (which is the best ride). I don't really care for animals, but if you do, don't miss the Safari. It is a nice ride (not as bad as it seems from the other replies). If you have the time, don't miss Animal Kingdom. But I have to say it is not something you will regret not doing, expecially if you are going to the other parks for the first time.

Leah Jul 14th, 1999 10:14 AM

We went to Disney World last summer for vacation and loved the Animal Kingdom. This was our third trip to WDW so it was nice to see a whole new park. Our kids - ages 21 & 13 thought it was great. The Countdown to Extinction was not to be missed!!! Also, as mentioned in previous posts The Bugs Life and the shows were very good. I personally would plan to spend some time here. <BR>