Disneyland vs knottsberry vs legoland w/ 4 yr old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are taking our 4 yr old son to Southern California for a week this summer.

I think three theme parks may be an “overload" for him. I hope to get some beach-time in too!

Disneyland
Legoland
Knottsberry Farm

Can you suggest your top two choices of parks based on his age (4) and value. Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:33 PM

That is a tough one. They are really all unique parks. I think I'd vote for Legoland as his age is perfect. It's clean, fairly uncrowded and kid friendly. You could always do D-land later as it appeals to all ages.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Most adults I know don't like Legoland, but the kids adore it.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Skip Knottsberry Farm its not that unlike other theme parks throughout the US. Do Legoland and stay in Carlsbad. Book early and you can stay right on the beach.
Drive up to Disneyland spend the extra $$ and stay in one of the Disney Resort Hotels. Book early as well.
Are you flying in? If so try to go in/out via Long Beach Airport. It is quicker and easier than LAX or John Wayne Orange County Airport.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:49 AM

kidsintoe gave you great advice. Knotts Berry Farm is just roller coaster & ferris wheel type rides.
Have fun!!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Perhaps at my advanced age I am totally out of touch but I have YET to meet many 4 y.olds who don;t like all things Disney, Mickey, Pluto, Donald, etc.

Legoland and Knotts cannot BEGIN to approximate the activities and rides at Disney.
I agree about staying pon or as close to the property as possible.

gee, on second thought...what are your child's preferences? (I assume you have consulted them?????)
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:24 AM

My kids are older now, but we did the park route when they were younger - depends on your chid and what he likes and is familiar with - what I can tell you is my kids loved Disneyland at age 4 - but they had seen Disney cartoons/movies with the characters and/or had the books, a mickey/dumbo stuffed animal, etc - and they loved everything in the parts of Disney that were geared towards that (and less attractions in the other areas; for instance, all that really appealed to them in Frontierland was the Bear jamboree) -

at that age they still believed it was really Snow White, Cinderella, Mickey,, etc - by age 6 they still loved it, but were asking why Mickey had real people shoes on under his big Mickey shoes.....

We would stay in resort for ease of access, so we could go back for a rest/nap if needed - but it depends on your child. I would at least do one day at Disney, which is all you would need. This January while visiting relatives in LA, my cousin and I took the 5 and 3 year old to Disney for the day and they loved it - it was one day of Dumbo, It's a Small World, Peter Pan, some characters, and lunch, the tree house and bear jamboree and we were off - it was enough for them, but they loved it.

I'd skip Knotsberry also if I was leaving one out - but previous poster was right, the little ones loved Legoland.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:31 AM
ltt

if your kid likes disney cartoons/movies and you can afford it, stay at one of the disneyland resorts and go for one of the character breakfasts. check out the height restrictions for rides at the disney website. if your child doesn not meet the restrictions for most rides then one day will be enough for there.
legoland is very popular with children that age. carlsbad has some nice beaches so book early for a good location.
i also like sea world in san diego for kids that age.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:32 AM

I usually don't consult 4-year-olds about things like vacation destinations. To be clear: I think Disneyland is bound to be a good choice. What I meant about Legoland is, every kid I know prefers Legoland to Disney. I don't get it, but they love it. When adults like Intrepid1 say the rides don't compare to Disney, they are correct. It doesn't follow logic, why kids like Legoland so much. I find it overpriced and dull, too many primary colors and mind-numbing shows (Put the wet stuff on the hot stuff, anyone?) I think the idea of one night in Carlsbad and one in Disney is a good idea. I might do one day at Legoland and two at Disney, to open up the California Adventure option. Also, if you had one day only, I would choose Disney because I think it's a child's ultimate destination. By the way, I live in Orange County and go to both parks. Never go to Knottsberry; agree it seems very average.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:43 AM

My nephew probably would have preferred Legoland at that age. He was a bit of a wimp and was scared of most everything, including Mickey, believe it or not. And he still has a fixation about Legos (he is 17!). Unless your boy is that sort, I agree that Disneyland will be first choice. They still believe in magic at that age. I don't think there is any reason to take him to California Adventure (and I go to both). You can go to any character breakfast, in any hotel, without staying there. The characters are visible in the parks (especially Toontown, which I hate as an adult).
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Sfamylou described my Legoland experience perfectly - my kids thought it was fantastic and I was bored. The rides are very tame and not on the creative level of Disney, but there is something about the lego aspect that draws kids into the park. I would do one day at Legoland and two at Disneyland. I think Disney California Adventure is geared toward older kids.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:20 AM

California Adventure is not aimed at 4 year olds, but it isn't as crowded and there are things for them to do. All the Bug's Life area is aimed at little ones, for example. And my favorite ride ever is Soarin' Over California, so I'm biased.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM

We have gone to Legoland 2 years in a row now and always spend 2 days. They have a deal where the 2nd day is something like $10 more (first day is like ~$42). Then we can do everything leisurely and do the rides they like, twice.

For the under 5 set, Legoland is the bomb. It is of limited interest for an adult but we look at it this way - they can go to Disneyland for the rest of their lives, but they will only want to do Legoland until they are maybe 8 or 9.

Also, daughter #1 is very timid and doesn't like large crowds, also doesn't like loud noises so Legoland's "style" suits her personality, at this age.

For the top 2 choices - I'd say 2 days at Legoland, a day or two to rest your feet, and then a day at Disneyland.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:30 AM

One thing that may tilt you in Legoland's favor: It's the only Legoland in the US. And, as others have said, the window of your child's potential interest in all things Lego may be quite small, so if he has any interest at all in the damn things, go for it.

Disney will always be fun (and if you REALLY want to have good adult fun, go there a bit drunk or baked-- it's wonderful as long as no one throws up!), so you can save that for another trip to southern CA or to Orlando.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Another cool thing about Legoland is you can get a one-day ticket and then decide AFTER THE FACT that you want to turn it into a two-day and they will do that for you at guest services either before you leave that day or when you arrive the next day (as long as it is within the 5 day window). We usually get a one-day ticket and almost always convert to two-day when the kids want to go back.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Disneyland!!!! I have 4-year old twins and they LOVE Disneyland. We went to Legoland last Labor Day, and we (kids included) didn't really enjoy it. It really wasn't that crowded, but the lines moved extremely slow and I really didn't think it was anything special. The mini USA land was great, but in all honesty, I wouldn't go back. We got very cheap tickets off the AF base and I still think it was too much for what it was. Back to Disneyland, last Jan. I bought season passes for me and my boys because Disney is just a 4-hour drive for us. We went 5 times over that last year, and the kids really enjoyed themselves! Beaches are nearby, so my vote is for Disney.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Disneyland would be fine as the only theme park you go to.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:27 PM

It looks like I'll be the lone dissenter. Knott's Berry Farm is absolutely PERFECT for the preschool crowd. There's lots of cool things in the Camp Snoopy area that little ones love. But, the best part of it is that the crowds are minimal compared to Disneyland and there are lots of shady spots for parents to sit and watch the kids having fun.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM

I'd consider Disneyland alone as the most bang for the buck. Don't forget, THE PARENTS are also on vacation too. We took our 4 yr old to Legoland and left with a feeling of, "Is that it?" My kid was a bit young to go on some of the rides, of which there aren't many anyway. Disneyland and its sister park plus Downtown Disney offer much much more than heading down to Legoland. Beaches are plentiful in Orange County too.

Either way, have a great time!