Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Disneyland or California Adventure? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/disneyland-or-california-adventure-968613/)

PamelaSG3 Feb 28th, 2013 09:20 AM

Disneyland or California Adventure?

We just took our boys (now aged 7 & 4) to Florida last year and did Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Animal Kingdom. Going to LA in April. Staying in LA and only taking a day trip to Anaheim. Trying to decide between Disneyland and DCA. Disneyland seems more "magical" while DCA seems more like a regular amusement park with a lot less attractions than Disneyland. We've been on some of the rides they have at each (while at MK and Epcot/AK), but there are new rides at both parks.
Which would you recommend?

Thanks!

janisj Feb 28th, 2013 09:43 AM

Since they've recently been to Disney World I'd probably take the boys to California Adventure. There is a lot more to CA than there used to be.

In a perfect world you'd have time for both (DisneyLand is my personal favorite) but CA is much different and a lot of fun.

clarkgriswold Feb 28th, 2013 09:47 AM

If it's not in your plans, Legoland is really a great choice for that age group. They'll love Disneyland up through the teen years but Legoland should be done before 8 or 9.

jamie99 Feb 28th, 2013 11:07 AM

Disneyland, no question, there are quite a few rides there that are either not at Disneyworld, or are different.

Rastaguytoday Feb 28th, 2013 11:29 AM

Whichever one you choose, go early and DON'T go on a weekend.

It can be a total zoo on the weekends. The DCA will have lines that are not worth waiting in.

MissGreen May 3rd, 2013 03:13 PM

I've done WDW and both parks in California. With kids I would say Disneyland over California Adventure.

lcuy May 3rd, 2013 05:29 PM

with such young kids, I'd do Disneyland. Many of The DCA rides are more scary or not for little kids.

mlgb May 3rd, 2013 05:54 PM

If your 4-year old is at least 40 inches I might go with Cal Adventure because of Cars Land. Especially since they are boys.

shanek May 3rd, 2013 07:32 PM

The top 5 things that my kids liked about our visit to the 2 parks were all at CA.
In no particular order...
World of Color
Aladdin
Soaring over California
Bugs Life
Toy Story
Grizzly River Run
(Make that top 6)

HappyTrvlr May 3rd, 2013 07:50 PM

Do both or just CA adventure. My kids had tecently been to Disney World in Orlando and much preferred Anaheim, Disneyland and CA Adventure. Easier to do.

janisj May 3rd, 2013 10:32 PM

My guess is some who are recommending DL may have visited before CarsLand and the other new attractions opened at CA.

Both parks are now 'musts' for young children IMO.

SiteC_er May 4th, 2013 05:04 AM

Buy the park hopper pass and do both. Unlike WDW the parks are right next to each other (no tram needed).

5alive May 4th, 2013 10:23 PM

Pamela posted this on Feb. 28 and hasn't been back...