Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Disneyland in February? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/disneyland-in-february-994409/)

brendonb28 Oct 8th, 2013 03:47 AM

Disneyland in February?

My parents are taking me to Disneland for my 29th birthday and we have never been to Disneyland in the Winter only summer. We are comcerned about rain and the weather. We heard February in the rainiest month. Should we pack for rain or do you think it might be nice this February? Thanks!

nanabee Oct 8th, 2013 04:18 AM

Weather in southern Calif is generally nice & mild year round probably will be in high 60's and sunny. It may get cooler in the evening. There is always a slight chance of rain but we've been in a draught now for many years.

RoamsAround Oct 8th, 2013 04:25 AM

Nobody here has a crystal ball that's clear enough to tell you if the weather at Disneyland will be "nice this February". All anyone can tell you is there will be weather.

You can research historical weather data for Anaheim and the surrounding cities at:

www.wunderground.com
www.weatherbase.com

Study the data and decide for yourself if it will be "nice in February".

brendonb28 Oct 8th, 2013 04:25 AM

Thanks so much for the info nanabee! Whata about crowds? Pretty empty I assume.

brendonb28 Oct 8th, 2013 04:26 AM

Thanks RoamsAround!!

janisj Oct 8th, 2013 08:04 AM

>>Whata about crowds? Pretty empty I assume.<<

It will be crowded on the holiday weekends for sure. Disneyland is never 'uncrowded' but except for the holidays, Feb is probably the least crowded time of year.

MichelleY Oct 8th, 2013 08:18 AM

As JanisJ' pointed out, Disneyland will be crowded on the holiday weekends. Go mid- week and it will be great! Don't worry about the weather; just be prepared.

logandog Oct 8th, 2013 09:56 AM

As a Disneyland Season Pass holder I can tell you that a cool,damp February weekday is the best time to go if you hate crowds.

nytraveler Oct 8th, 2013 10:06 AM

I don;t mean to be critical - but does anyone else think that a 29 year old going to Disney as a birthday present is kind of - um - odd?

Rather than to Mexico with friends? Or skiing somewhere?

LSky Oct 8th, 2013 10:34 AM

Feb is often very nice in So. Cal.
Keep an eye on the weather reports because there's never a guarantee but my b-day is in Feb and there hasn't been a lot of rain on my day. It may be chilly but not always.

No, nytraveler, it's not odd. What a blessing for the OP that she has parents she wants to go places with.

jamie99 Oct 8th, 2013 10:41 AM

I don't think it is odd either, I used to go every year to Disneyland for my birthday and I am 60!

Dukey1 Oct 8th, 2013 11:23 AM

I think questioning somebody whom you do not KNOW and their birthday present is odd and not only that, RUDE.

janisj Oct 8th, 2013 11:27 AM

>>I don;t mean to be critical - but does anyone else think that a 29 year old going to Disney as a birthday present is kind of - um - odd?<<

Your really do need to get out of Manhattan more often >)

Not odd in any way at all. Some adults enjoy escapist fun/Disney, and some don't.

Doesn't make either one 'odd'.

But to even consider criticizing someone for liking Disney . . . now THAT does seem odd IMO.

logandog Oct 8th, 2013 11:30 AM

I believe Elizabeth Taylor rented the whole park for her 60th birthday party.

socialworker Oct 8th, 2013 12:36 PM

Having spent 2 different 3 month wintertime stints in LA in the last 5 years and having gone to Disneyland once in February back in '02, I can tell you the same thing that I say about the weather here when people ask about Cape Cod in May......it can be glorious and it can be awful! I have never seen rain like the way it rains in LA in the winter when it *does* rain, but most of the time it does not, so you just take your chances and hope for the best! I hope you have a great b/day celebration, and you definitely should pack for rain, altho you may very well not face any.....

We were soaked to the skin when we went to Disneyland back in '02, but it made it really cozy to sit by the fire in the Grand Californian, a lovely hotel.

Kevin1 Oct 8th, 2013 03:17 PM

Well feb would be nice but weather is keep changing so must keep eye on it. before going.

Rastaguytoday Oct 8th, 2013 08:19 PM

nytraveler

No.

clarkgriswold Oct 9th, 2013 03:53 AM

February is the only month that I would tell people to avoid traveling to California. So yes, pack for rain. Those cheap Chinese umbrellas and ponchos that they sell at Disneyland are useless.

MrsIglesias7777 Oct 9th, 2013 05:34 AM

I love Disneyland and I go 3-4 times a year as I live in San Diego. February can be rainy sometimes. Cold, for sure. But mostly sunny w/scattered clouds. We went last year at the end of January and it was sunny but really cold (for whimpy southern CA people that means 50-60 degrees). Crowds? Always. Less than summer, yes; but it's at least a 30-45 minute wait nowadays for rides after 11am any day of the year. Do the Fastpass tix for rides and you'll enjoy your day better. Best bet is be there right when the park opens and head for the best rides. Get fastpasses, like I said, and plan your day that way. By noon, the park is full and the lines are long. No escaping it. But, it's worth it; it's the magic kingdom!

nanabee Oct 9th, 2013 08:45 AM

Despite the unusual rains in Feb. it actually should be our best time of year. In the winter we have beautiful sunny weather most of the time - although cooler. Which is nice when you consider the option of standing in long lines in the heat.