Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Disney World trip, off property house or condo recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the early stages of planning a trip to Orlando to take in some of the Disney parks and possibly Universal Studios in March. There will be 4 adults and 2 kids (8 & 14). We are pretty sure we want to stay off property, so we can spread out and have ample beds (no one likes to sleep with the 8 year old), and a full kitchen. We would like to be within 15 minutes from Disney World, but only need 4 - 5 nights. Hoping to keep the price under $250 a night.

I've seen a lot of options out there, but want someplace with a good reputation. Does anyone have any experience with Blue Heron Beach Resort?
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 09:26 AM

You might want to try posting this at disboards.com. There are lots of Disney regulars there who may be able to answer your question.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM

have you tried the fountains in orlando? my friends have stayed there a few times before and really liked it.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 02:17 PM
TC

Hi Janenicole, We stayed in a house off property (it is an easy 10-15 min. drive) with our daughter, S-I-L, and two grandchildren. The house was wonderful. It has four bedrooms (2 king bedrooms each with private bath and 2 bedrooms with 2 twins in each that share a bath). The kitchen was loaded and there's a nice laundry room. There is living, dining and a big family room (big screen TV, etc.) that opens onto the pool. The pool is enclosed in one of those Florida-style screen rooms and was warm as bath water for the kids. There were lots of pool toys in the garage for the kids to use.

I have friends who are in one of the houses right now and just sent back a great report. There are lots of restaurants nearby and an excellent grocery just outside the gated community entrance. The neighborhood is quiet and very well maintained.

Barbara was a pleasure to work with in making our arrangements. She actually owns three houses in the same neighborhood. She does own the houses and lives in the neighborhood as well, so she's at hand if anything needs attention. We had the house called Gardenia. The rates are around $200 per night. I highly recommend these houses.

http://www.villasatformosagardens.com/
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. 321go, I've been lurking on disboards.com, but thought I would see what suggestions Fodorites have. I'll check out the Fountains, bluegreen.

TC, I emailed Villas at Formosa Gardens, and they will only rent for 7 nights, which won't work for us, but I was in contact with someone named Carol. Maybe if I dig around, I can get in touch with Barbara (an actual owner).
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 06:31 AM
TC

There are several different "Formosa" sites. So lots of individuals renting houses there. We really liked Barbara. Her site lists prices per night or per week. Use the contact I linked to get in touch with her.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

TC - Yes, I was looking on a different site. I've sent an email to Barbara. Thanks again!
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, in March, Barbara will only rent for 7 nights.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 10:49 AM
TC

That's too bad. Her houses are great. Did she have any recommendations for you? Or would she put you on a "wait list" in case her house don't fill in March?
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:49 PM

Look at biddingfortravel.com for priceline wins. $59 a night at Sheraton was a great deal for me!
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

I asked Barbara if she had any recommendations, and she didn't know of anyone else. I'll check into the wait list.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 04:27 AM
TC

Just go for the week . DW is more than 7 days worth of fun!
Hope it all works out.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

LOL, TC! It's tempting, but we probably should spend a couple of nights at my parent's new digs while we're down there (not close enough to Disney to stay there the whole time). I think I'm getting some places narrowed down on VRBO that are in Formosa Gardens. I'll post back with what we end up doing.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Following up - we stayed in a house called Nearest Disney in Formosa Gardens Estates. Found it on Vrbo - owner was great to work with. Very nice house - 5 bedrooms, pool, laundry, large living room and dining areas, quiet and gated. Worked out really well for us - only 15 minutes to the Disney parks. It was so nice to get a break from the Disney crowds at the end of the day by staying off property. And, oh, we had a wonderful time at Disney World.