Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Disney World Race Track Ride (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/disney-world-race-track-ride-99356/)

Sandi Jan 9th, 2001 09:07 AM

Disney World Race Track Ride

Hello to all. Can anyone comment about the Race Car Test Track, or something like that, at Disney World. Is this an extra expense and how far in advance do you need to reserve it? Was it worth it? I saw something about this on the Rosie O'Donnel show this past spring and it looked like fun. <BR> <BR>Looking forward to any comments. Thanks! <BR> <BR>Sandi <BR>

ilisa Jan 9th, 2001 09:10 AM

Are you talking about Test Track at Epcot? It's wild! You definitely need to try it. No, there is no extra expense; it is part of your regular admission. The wait can be kind of long. Last year, we waited about 40 minutes to ride it. Now, you can get a Fastpass for it where you are given a specific time to ride with little or no wait. Don't pass it up!

Sandi Jan 9th, 2001 09:14 AM

Ilisa, <BR> <BR>Wow, that was the fastest reply I have ever gotten! Yes, I think that must be the same thing. Can you tell me a little bit more about it? Are the cars actual race cars? Do you have to climb in through the window? I think it would be great if it is as realistic as it looked on the Rosie show. Do you get to drive or ride with a driver? What I saw was Rosie riding in the race car with a real driver. She had the racing helmet on. <BR> <BR>Well, if you have anymore to share about it, would love to hear it. <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR> <BR>Sandi <BR>

penny Jan 9th, 2001 09:24 AM

Well, I'm not sure it's Test Track if there was a real driver and Rosie was wearing a helmet. <BR> <BR>The Epcot ride is just that--a ride, but it's great fun. You climb into the car just like you would a regular ride. You have no control; it's all managed as part of the ride. <BR> <BR>You go around a track and experience different driving conditions: extreme heat, extreme cold, bumpy roads, lots of curves, etc. You go quite fast at times. <BR> <BR>I'm not aware of a race car ride with helmets anywhere at Disney. <BR> <BR>

ilisa Jan 9th, 2001 10:18 AM

Sandi, I think we are talking about 2 different things. I have been to WDW 18 times and am not familiar with what you are talking about. Like Penny said, the Test Track I am referring to is just a regular ride. But, wow, is it fun.

Barbaram Jan 9th, 2001 10:38 AM

What you are talking about is a race track. It is right outside of the Magic Kingdom. You can ride for about $200, not sure what that includes. But it really does exist. The test track is at EPCOT and is a ride.

Sandi Jan 9th, 2001 02:06 PM

Thanks, Ilisa, Penny and Barbaram, for your information. I will definitely check out the Test Track at Epcot, but for $200 I will have to pass on the real deal. That's waaaay too expensive. <BR> <BR>Thanks again! <BR> <BR>Sandi <BR>

Toni Jan 9th, 2001 04:29 PM

I think it sounds like you're talking about the Richard Petty Driving Experience which is located at several tracks around the country and I believe has a location outside Disney as well. <BR>If I'm correct you can pay to do a ride-along with a professional driver, or you can pay more to do your own driving. I thought the ride-along was closer to $80, and if you wanted to drive yourself it was closer to $300 for 8 laps, but it's been a few years since I did the driving part in LV, so my prices could be off. You get all suited up and would have to climb in through the window like a regular stock car. <BR>Hope this helps.

Ann Jan 10th, 2001 07:11 AM

Sandi, this is copied directly from www.wdwig.com. I hope it works: <BR> <BR>The Richard Petty Driving Experience began in 1997 at the Walt Disney World Speedway. It is open selected days/times <BR>during the year. Please call to verify and confirm your potential plans. <BR> <BR>The high speed driving experience now offers 4 types of programs: <BR> <BR> Riding Experience - a 3 lap riding experience, $89.99 <BR> Rookie Experience - an 8 lap experience, $329.99 <BR> New 16-lap Experience - 2 sessions of 8 laps each, $699.99 <BR> Experience of a Lifetime - The ultimate experience for the serious driver -- this 30 lap course is offered in 3 10 lap <BR> sessions for $1,065.99 <BR> <BR>Prices do NOT include sales tax. <BR> <BR>For more information call 1-800-BE-PETTY <BR> <BR>ON the other hand, we really enjoyed the test track ride at Epcot, and by getting there early got to ride twice (and was offered a third time). Enjoy.

Sandi Jan 10th, 2001 09:02 AM

<BR>Thanks, Toni and Anne. I believe I will stick with the Disney version of the ride. Although, it would be an awesome experience to drive the race car! <BR> <BR>Sandi