Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Disney World & Universal May 18-25th (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/disney-world-and-universal-may-18-25th-197494/)

L Cordi Apr 11th, 2002 05:31 AM

Disney World & Universal May 18-25th

We plan to be in Disney World for 6 days & go over to Universal for the last 2 days. Is this a good time to go as far as crowds? I'm taking 4 college students with me.(My 2 sons & their girlfriends) Will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge. Are dining reservations in advance recommended at this time of year. Our first day @ Disney will be my youngest son's 19th Birthday. What would be a good restaurant for Birthday Dinner? Do you think 1 day per park is sufficient?

Vince Apr 11th, 2002 05:52 AM

Not sure about advance reservations, but one day per park should be enough (especially if its a weekday). I just got back from Orlando where we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves however experienced UNBEARABLY hot and humid weather. Please realize it'll be substantially worse in June. Maybe water parks is a good solution?? If money is not an issue, I recommend to seeing 'La Nouba' from Cirque du Soleil that plays in downtown Disney. I guarantee everybody is going to love it.

garyt Apr 11th, 2002 07:48 AM

I don't know if your plans are at all flexible, but if they are you might consider more Universal and less Disney... Islands of Adventure has surpassed WDW in high-tech "older kid" interest and has added the cool factor in the Hard Rock Hotel. Your college age group may be much better suited to IOA and Hard Rock.<BR><BR> As far as B-day dinners, consider Downtown Disney for House of Blues, or Universal for Margaritaville, both can be fun for a birthday group.<BR><BR>I hope you have arranged morally based sleeping arrangements,(boys rooms, girls rooms)... otherwise you may end up back at WDW world sooner than you planned...

Linda Apr 13th, 2002 03:01 PM

I just got back from Disney seeing Cirque du Soleil for the first time - highly recommended. They may like DisnetQuest as well.<BR><BR>You can buy a Disney pass and "park hop" doing different parks each day and going back later to see things you missed. If one park gets too crowded, you can leave and go to another. Disney has a great free transportation system (no need for a car if you are staying on property). Buy a guidebook and list out what you have to see vs. trying to fit everything in - you need a month to see everything, rushing around makes the visit unenjoyable, assume you will come back again someday. <BR><BR>MGM and Epocot are probably best for the teenagers. I like "the statues" show in France, Honey I shrunk the audience, tower of terror, the test track, and the fireworks in Epocot World showcase (best spot by on the grass between France and the UK) and the night laser show at MGM. It's a Bug's Life and the Safari in Animal Kingdom are both good as is Alien Encounter and the night parade and the water slide in the Magic Kingdom. <BR><BR>Ask the attendant if you can sit in the front of the monorail with the conductor (fits 4) - it is worth waiting for the next tram to do this. <BR><BR>Don't miss Disney's Boardwalk ESPN bar/resturaunt. If the kids are into sports, they will love this place.<BR><BR>Older kids will also like Blizzard Beach.<BR><BR>The Disney's Behind the Scenes half day tour was very good as well (you have to sign up in advance).<BR><BR>I agree that Universal is probably better for teenagers. The new side of the park has some new pretty scary rides (I will normally try anything and wouldn't try these). The older side of the park has great rides and shows. I think you can easily do each park in a day.<BR><BR>Rent bikes at Wilderness Lodge.<BR><BR>I also enjoyed many of the shows if you can talk the kids into them - Beauty and the Beast (MGM), Hunchback of Notredame (MGM)and The Lion King (Animal Kingdom).<BR><BR>Have lunch indoors in Mexico in the World Showcase. Try Spoodles or the Flying Fish on Disney's Boardwalk for dinner.<BR><BR>Reserve in advance for dinner <BR><BR>Get to the parks early!!!!

mickeyears Apr 13th, 2002 03:09 PM

Wilderness Lodge is nice - you can spend a day just enjoying the pool/lagoon. Universal has probably more rides that will interest your age group & check out Sea World. MGM & Epcot will be your best Disney bets. Universal also has some good restaurantss & fun places for night life. Disney's Pleasure island has become a dump with the exception of Adventurers Club.

Gail Apr 13th, 2002 04:21 PM

If you can arrange to stay at one of Universal's onsite hotels for the days you want to do those parks it would benefit you greatly. Onsite guests get immediate express line access to the attraction at Universal/Islands of Adventure. I agree with Gary--college age students will LOVE Islands of Adventure and the Hard Rock Hotel. <BR>Go to www.disboards.com for info on Disney and Universal.

Joy in Virginia Apr 13th, 2002 07:12 PM

I have been to both, and while Universal & IOA are cool and have some cool coasters, your group can probably see everything in 2 days there. And for me, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain all in Magic Kingdom are terrific! Also Rock & Roller coaster in WDW MGM, along with Tower of Terror, can't be beat. Get park hopper tickets for both IOA/Universal and WDW parks, then you can hope back and forth. At WDW you can see more if you begin early at one park, later hop to another. You can do same thing with park hoppers at Univ/IOA. Please check (or have one of your internet savvy sons check) wdwig.com for further research. Wilderness lodge is supposed to be great place to stay, be sure to get tour. I think your plan sounds fine! Have fun!

loangalsal Apr 14th, 2002 03:16 AM

Another vote for Cirque de Soleil, it was incredible! I vote for the Flying Fish for the birthday dinner (near cirque de soleil) it was the nicest place we ate in Orlando, but still has a fun atmosphere. We also loved the Sunday gospel brunch at the House of Blues (get a reservation!). I agree with the other poster that your age group may enjoy Universal a litte bit more than disney, but you can always figure that out when you get there.