Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   disney wolrd/universal studios lodging (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/disney-wolrd-universal-studios-lodging-626371/)

snorky Jun 25th, 2006 05:43 PM

disney wolrd/universal studios lodging

Hi,My husband and I are returning to Disney world afer about 6 years. We will be there Dec8-15.Right now we are thinking of the disneyworld 6 night/7 day stay and just going to Universal studios a couple days of that day. Do you think it would be better to stay at Disney for about 5 nights and then move to a Universal studios resort for the remaing 2 days.instead? Will it take 2 days to see both Universal and the Islands of Adventure? Also don't know if it would just be easier to rent car from airport when we arrive or to get other transportation to Universal? Thanks in advance for help. Bye.

espinach1 Jun 25th, 2006 05:55 PM

First of all you are going at the absolute best time of the year, no crowds and cool weather. I would stay at Disney for 5 days and then move to one of the Universal hotels. You get front of the line access when you stay at a Universal hotel even thought at that time of the year you may not need it. Also, you can go back to your hotel for a rest if you need it. I would also stay at a Disney hotel. They run the gamut from expensive to "value" (whatever that means). But your rates should be good since it is a very slow time of year for them, especially if you make your reservations now. We live in Florida and I plan on going at that time with my college aged son. We just went in early June and were very sorry. Crowded and hot.

xrae Jun 25th, 2006 09:49 PM

I wouldn't try to do both Universal Parks in one day. There are enough attractions in each to keep you occupied, and you won't feel rushed if you take one day for each park.

If you plan to stay at WDW for the first five days and not venture off-property, you probably won't need to rent a car. You could just get a taxi to move you and your luggage over to the Universal resort for the balance of your stay.

Have a great trip!

mikesmom Jun 26th, 2006 03:36 AM

I totally agree with espinach1. Stay five nights at Disney and then move to one of the onsite Universal resorts. The front of the line perk is priceless.

I recommend you go to disboards.com -- you can get so much information at this site. Another site is mousesavers.com -- lots of valuable information.

Have fun!

Wednesday Jun 26th, 2006 03:46 AM

If you stay at the Hard Rock hotel when at Universal, you can walk on a path out the back right to the front gates of each of their parks and CityWalk..convenient, especially for a rest like espinach1 mentioned, and you don't have to worry about transportation, etc...

snorky Jun 26th, 2006 04:35 AM

Thanks to all of you for your speedy replies. Looks like we'll be at a universal resort for 2 days! Thanks again. Can't wait to be there around the holiday season.

ajcolorado Jul 8th, 2006 11:46 PM

Hope you see this -

Disney provides transportation from the airport when you stay at their hotel. http://www.buildabettermousetrip.com/dme.html

You can rent a car from Disney property - several of the Downtown Disney hotels have rental desks. We rented a car through Alamo and picked it up at the Walt Disney World Car Care Center. We were at All-Star Movies and Alamo had a shuttle that picked us up from the hotel. I think they needed at least three hours advance notice for the shuttle.

I had trouble finding the Disneyworld locations until I used Orlando and the Disney zip code - 32830. Lake Buena Vista as the City name didn't seem to work for me.

tinamidon Jul 9th, 2006 04:46 AM

Don't forget to check out those special holiday events Disney offers at the holidays...Candlelight Processional @ Epcot & Mickey's Christmas Party...separate admission tix and the events are at night. Also, often the weather is very cool at that time (sweatshirts, jeans...very few days for shorts....well, I'll take that back...tourists still wear shorts, but its cool). I've actually worn mittens there just after Christmas...we always seem to have an "unusually cold" snap around the holidays...

granniem Jul 11th, 2006 10:50 AM

I just got back from 2 weeks in FL. We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel on Universal property. It is the only way to go because you get Express Pass inlcuded in price of room. It is a 5 minute walk from Hotel.

Hallways are noisy but all in all a nice place to stay.