Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Disney w/ a 1 year old? Thoughts? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/disney-w-a-1-year-old-thoughts-925676/)

ParkerSunshine Feb 28th, 2012 06:31 AM

Disney w/ a 1 year old? Thoughts?

We will be in Florida in July for a friends wedding. Our 1.5 year old will be with us and we will not be far from Disney. I was wondering if we should pop in and due 1 day at one of the parks or is this a bad idea with a 1 year old?

Thoughts or advice?

tracys2cents Feb 28th, 2012 06:36 AM

Parents often say how much their 1 year old enjoyed Disney. But their descriptions are usually more about the PARENTS enjoying it than the child. They'll show you photos of how adorable the kid is standing next to Goofy, and you'll notice that the kid is either half asleep or scared to death. JMHO!

rizzo0904 Feb 28th, 2012 06:43 AM

In July it'll be crazy hot. Personally, I would be miserable.

AAFrequentFlyer Feb 28th, 2012 06:45 AM

I agree with the above post.

The child will have a great time appreciation and many memories once they are at least ~3-4 years old. At 1, they will not, so it will be a waste of money to do it.

If anything, take the child to a local Orlando water park. July is super hot here in Florida and it will be a fun time for everybody, including yourself.

RoamsAround Feb 28th, 2012 07:04 AM

Agree with the others a 1 to 1.5 YO child will never remember whether or not they were ever at Disney world. Wait until the child is at lease 4.

lantana Feb 28th, 2012 07:41 AM

I am always in favor of trips to WDW :D

What day of the week are you thinking of going?
Is the child 1.5 now? Or will he/she be 1.5 in July?
I have been with 20-month-old nieces and nephews at WDW (I didn't take my own child until she was 2.5) who had fun. And those were all during summer trips.

If you don't try to tackle too much - and if you plan well, you could have a very special day on your hands ♥

gail Feb 28th, 2012 08:21 AM

Depends on whether or not you want to go for yourself - in which case, go. But if you are thinking your kid will have a great time - perhaps. But an equally good time at the hotel pool, a beach or a playground.

And there is a big difference between going with an under 1 year old and a toddler - with it being much easier to go with a non-mobile baby (we went when our daughter was that age and son was 5). The baby will sleep in the stroller and act the same as s/he would at the mall or going for a walk. but once the kid is 18 months s/he is going to want to be a free-range kid - demand to be out of the stroller and you may have a frustrated and shrieking kid or end of chasing the same kid around in July heat.

ParkerSunshine Feb 28th, 2012 08:21 AM

she will be 1.5 months in july. maybe we will skip it.

gmoney Feb 28th, 2012 08:47 AM

Like Gail said, if you really want to go then go, but if you are going just for your childs sake then I would wait till they could appreciate it more.

MFNYC Feb 29th, 2012 11:44 AM

We took our kids when they were 3 & 5 (also at a wedding down south). My 5 year old was in heaven, my 3 year old...not so much. He has no recollection other than what he sees in photos.

sf7307 Feb 29th, 2012 12:23 PM

I just decided to ask my son. We took him for the first time when he was 3-1/2. He (and we) had a great time, and he lasted far more hours than we expected. But he's 27 now, and when I asked if he remembers his first trip to Disneyland, he wrote back and said "Was that the time we went with [cousins] when I was 5? Or did we go before that?". Point is, he had a great time, but doesn't remember it at all.

starrs Feb 29th, 2012 12:48 PM

If you want a park experience try SeaWorld in Orlando or Busch Gardens in Tampa. It would be a much better experience for July in Florida - especially since he won't remember the trip later. Both are enjoyable and not as crazy as Disney.

spirobulldog Feb 29th, 2012 01:32 PM

I say go every chance you get. I remember my daughter having a great time when she was 1.5 ears old there. She really liked Magic Kingdom, Character Meal, and swimming in the little kiddie pool at the hotel. We have a regular size swimming pool at our house, but the big kiddie pool there with just a few inches of water was a big hit for her.

spirobulldog Feb 29th, 2012 01:36 PM

And we have videos that shows that not only that we were having fun but she was too.

PeaceOut Feb 29th, 2012 03:38 PM

I agree that a 1.5 year old would be just as happy somewhere simpler, like the beach. At that age, they can be overwhelmed and exhausted at Disney.