Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Disney vacation questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/disney-vacation-questions-547390/)

plmrod Jul 27th, 2005 04:39 PM

Disney vacation questions

Hello, any suggestions are welcome.

We are thinking of "doing" Disney in either late Jan or early Feb (maybe less crowded?).

We are 2 40 somethings with a 6 year old. Will probably only do Magic Kingdom (this trip).
Does anyone have suggestions for better discount tickets? What about accomodations? Looks like the "budget" end of Disney resorts are QUITE reasonable (85 a night). Any comments?
Thanks so much!

mikesmom Jul 28th, 2005 03:52 AM

I love Disney at that time of year. However, it may not be warm enough to swim, if you are interested in going in the pool. I would recommend a "moderate" resort, particularly Port Orleans French Quarter -- one of our favorite moderates at Disney. Nice grounds and nice pool (with a slide) if it's warm enough. Not sure what to recommend regarding discount tickets. Disney has recently implemented a system where the more days you buy, the cheaper the tickets. The most expensive ticket will be a one day ticket - the least expensive (per day) will be a 10 day ticket - with many choices in between - go to disney.com for info on ticket prices. I highly recommend you go to disboards.com - you can find all kinds of info on Disney (including ways to get discounts) at that site. There are separate threads for Disney Resorts, the Themeparks, Budget, Dining, etc. Lots of info.

Good luck and have fun!

schmerl Jul 28th, 2005 04:09 AM

As previously stated, go to disboards.com for loads of info. For any specials or good deals, go to mousesavers.com

missypie Jul 28th, 2005 06:33 AM

What they said. You will learn so much on disboards. Sign up for the mousesavers e-newlsetter, too. There's also a site called allearsnet.com, where you can see photos of the resorts and restaurant menus.

Don't assume that just becuase your child is only 6 that he/she will only like the Magic Kingdom. Each park has lots to offer.

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 28th, 2005 06:54 AM

You're obviously referring to DisneyWORLD, but just bear in mind that "doing Disney" could also mean the ORIGINAL park in California.... If so, January and February are considerably less crowded (but still surprisingly busy).

kamahinaohoku Jul 28th, 2005 11:13 AM

If you decide to do a value property at Disney, go for Pop Century rather than any of the All Star resorts. The lobby, the food court, the rooms at Pop Century are vastly superior to any of the All Stars (where the lobbies look like old bus stations...). Just remember that the rooms (and the furniture) are small in all of them.
((S))((*))

plmrod Jul 28th, 2005 01:30 PM

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Yes, I meant Disney World, I apologize for not being more specific.

Does anyone know if the pools at the Value resorts (Pops, etc) are heated?

ajcolorado Jul 29th, 2005 08:30 AM

Disney offers some great room/ticket packages that really are the best deal around.

Are you driving or flying? If you're flying, you don't even need to rent a car. They offer the Disney Magical Express shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and they provide transportation from the resorts to the parks. We stayed off-property once but decided that car rental quickly negated any savings in the room.

Do check mousesavers.com - that site keeps a close watch on any specials and deals.

TripleSecDelay Jul 29th, 2005 10:15 AM

EuroDisney?

sshuttle Jul 29th, 2005 10:41 AM

Mousesavers.com is a great places to start for discount ticket info. Ticketmania.com (mousesavers recommends) has discount tickets. I highly recommend park hopping. You can do one park in the morning/early afternoon, return to the hotel relax and then return to another for evening shows like Fantasmic at MGM, fireworks at magic kingdom, or Illuminations at EPCOT. Keep in mind that parks will be closing early that time of year, but it's a GREAT time to visit.

All disney pools are heated. We have stayed at the value resorts several times. The pluses are price, huge pools, themes that kids love, access to Disney transportation, and of course we always found them very clean. The minuses are the rooms are louder then the next level up (moderate), the pools have no slides, there are no hot tubs, and longer lines at check-in. I've stayed at several different disney hotels (Wilderness Lodge, probably my favorite), and I have found that Disney makes sure you know at which level you are staying whether it be value vs. moderate vs. deluxe. Everything gets a little better as you go up, if you know what I mean.

kamahinaohoku Jul 29th, 2005 11:49 AM

EuroDisney's name was changed back to Disneyland Paris quite a while ago.
((S))((*))