Reload this Page >

Disney Resort Villas-- Saratoga Springs or Wilnerness Lodge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 05:29 PM
awbaker

I've been to disboards.com but I much prefer this forum. I am looking for accomodation for myself and my husband, and our (then) 4 y.o. and 1.5 y.o. at Thanksgiving time.

Has anyone stayed at either of these villas, specifically a 1 bedroom? Are they close to Magic Kingdom? Do they have balconies or patios? Is one more upscale than the other? Which do you prefer? Thank you so much for any information on these resort villas.

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:19 AM
awbaker

ttt

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you mean Wilderness Lodge? If so, I have a friend who is a Disney fan and he and his wife go to Disney World 5 or 6 times a year. They have stayed at all the hotels on the Disney property and he said that he decided not to stay at the Wilderness Lodge anymore because the rooms are very dark, which makes them appear small. That's all I can tell you. His favorite is the Dixieland which is also on-site. I think the price is comparable to the Wilderness Lodge and they prefer it. Don't know about balconies. If you're looking for something a little more upscale on-site you might consider The Floridian or The Beach Club. The Dixieland and the Beach Club are both situated on a lake with a beach, in addition to the pools. The Floridian is the most upscale, very elegant and Southern.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:10 AM
awbaker

Thanks dgarland. Yes, I did mean Wilderness, but must have hit the wrong letter! I couldn't find a resort called Dixieland. I considered the Grand Floridian, but they don't have the villas or a playground. I'll try again on the disboards.com, but I just can't seem to be able to post there, even though I registered. If anyone else here has stayed at either of the above mentioned resort villas, I would appreciate any information.

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:52 AM

Wilderness Lodge is designed with a northwestern theme. The rooms are very woodsy and not very tropical at all. It is a lovely resort and would be a good choice for Thanksgiving.

The mention of Dixieland must be Dixie Landings which I think has a different name now. It changed several years ago. Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter are the names used now. I have never been to these.

If you go to Wilderness Lodge, Artist Point is an exceptional restaurant and would be a good choice for Thanksgiving dinner.

I'd look at Animal Kingdom Lodge as well. It is in the same price point at Wilderness and is the best resort on Disney property imho. Grand Floridian is overdue for remodelling at this time. Looking a little too "shabby chic" for the money.

http://allearsnet.com/acc/faq_hot.htm#moderate
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:38 AM

The Wilderness Lodge Villas (a Disney Time Share resort) is an annex to the Wilderness Lodge. You check in at the Front desk at WL. You can rent studio, one or two bedroom units. As far as location goes the WL is just a short boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom. With your children's ages, this might be the place to stay. SS is by Downtown Disney.
I have stayed in a one bedroom at the WL Villas. It has a full kitchen, washer and dryer, king bed in the one bedroom and a full size sleeper sofa in the livingroom. Each unit has a pack&play crib. Ground floor units have a patio and upper floors have a small balcony with a few chairs. It is beautiful at Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgivng the Christmas decorations go up and it becomes even more lovely.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:57 AM

i live in fl. and have been to disney and stayed there many times. the most comparable hotel to the wilderness lodge is the animal kingdom lodge and for the money i think the animal kingdom is the best bet. ask for the middle savannah and you will get to see all kinds of animals outside your hotel room balcony. it is about 20 min. from most things though. dixie landings, port orleans is a step down, but convenient to most things and nice.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:07 AM

With kids that age, I would definately pick Wilderness Lodge. You can take a boat to Magic Kingdom and they have lots of kids activities going on in the hotel area, plus a great pool. Saratoga Springs is brand new and very nice but the location at WL can't be beat for little ones. I also agree with the post about Artist's point-great restaurant.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:47 AM
awbaker

Thanks for the information, everyone. I friend of mine with same age kids just told me they stayed at WL this year & also loved the location. I think we will go for a 1 bedroom villa, rather than a hotel room, so that we have extra room plus the kitchen & washer/dryer. We will check out Artist Point restaurant, too. Thanks for the suggestion.