Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Disney or Universal studios? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/disney-or-universal-studios-572903/)

howzlife Nov 26th, 2005 11:52 AM

Disney or Universal studios?

First time in LA this December and wondering if it's better to go to Disney or Universal Studios or any other, as i only have 1 day for this...

Pros & Cons of each would be appreciated :-)

lcuy Nov 26th, 2005 01:25 PM

Well, have you been to either park in Florida?

If not, I'd go to Disneyland or California Adventure. Our one at experience in Dec at Universal was a real disappointment- They do not handle crowds as well as Disney, the trash cans were overflowing and there are not as many attractions.

If you've never been to Disneyland, I'd also want to experience that simply because its such an icon.

vegasnative Nov 26th, 2005 03:05 PM

If you really like the movies, then go to Universal Studios. I have been several times, the backlot tour is great and the shows are terrific. Is it just yourself? Kids with you? Disneyland is going to be VERY crowded this Dec., it is their 50th anniversary, plus they already have their Christmas decorations out and once that happens, the crowds get pretty big. I would want to go to Disneyland to see the decorations for the 50th and Christmas (it is nice, we were there just last week), but it also might be a good time to visit another park such as Universal Studios (hoping the crowds are at Disney). Good question from lcuy, ever been to either of them? If not, then brave the crowds and do Disneyland (have to see it at least once right) and now is a great time to go with the 50th celebrations.

kimamom Nov 26th, 2005 04:39 PM

I'd definitely go for Disneyland. We were there for fourteen hours on Mon. The Christmas decorations are gorgeous. The parades, "snowfall" after the fireworks, etc. is all part of the Christmas magic. This was our favorite time of year to be in Disneyland. :)

Don't miss Fantasmic, it's an awesome show and not to be missed. We arrived about 45 minutes early to get our seats saved. Have fun and Happy Holidays! ***kim*** ((l))

padams421 Nov 27th, 2005 01:17 PM

If you like thrill rides, go to Universal. Otherwise, head to WDW.

furledleader Nov 27th, 2005 07:50 PM

Unless you're really into movies and television, I'd vote for Disneyland. It's the original. The one that started it all. And Christmas at Disneyland is like no other season.

howzlife Nov 28th, 2005 03:37 AM

Thanx for all your feedback.

In answer to your questions, I am from UK and am coming to West Coast with my girlfriend (both 26 years old)... and no we havn't been to any theme park like this before, only EuroDisney which is nothing in comparison apparently...

The only day we have is Monday 2nd January - will all the xmas stuff still be up then?? Cheers! :-)

cybor Nov 28th, 2005 06:42 AM

Disney is wonderful and a must see but in my opinion more child oriented than Universal. My DH, myself and older nieces and nephews prefer all the cool stuff and activities at Universal.
Just my 2 cents;
Cybor

mlgb Nov 28th, 2005 07:55 AM

The Christmas decor in Disneyland will still be up, and they will still have the late hours. You can check the official disney.go.com website for events.

jayne1973 Nov 28th, 2005 11:21 AM

You can't go wrong with either. LA is famous for Hollywood and the movies, so it's certainly a good choice. Don't miss the Back to the Future ride if you go.

Because Disneyland is the original, it's very magical. Be sure to ride Pirates of the Carribean and the Matterhorn. I also love the Tiki Room.

If I were you, I'd browse both parks' websites and see which one grabs you the most.

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!

kimamom Nov 29th, 2005 08:46 AM

Jayne, the Tiki Room was the first attraction we hit when we entered the park. It was re-done last Spring and better than ever! We went on the Matterhorn twice, after dark is the most fun! ***kim*** ((l))

AuntAnnie Nov 29th, 2005 09:02 PM

DISNEY!!!! If you buy a "Park Hopper Pass" you can get thrill rides at California Adventure and traditional Disney at Disneyland. I did not care for Universal studios, personally. Have fun!!

loypeng Nov 29th, 2005 11:22 PM

This is going to be a very difficult decision for you, I been to both places and both of them are really attractive. However, if I'm you to only choose one, I think I will choose Disneyland.