Disney 5/18-5/26

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Nicole

Disney 5/18-5/26

With everyones help i planned my trip now i need to know what is the best to do for my 10 year old daughter. Any advice on what part of the park or which park she will really enjoy. I want to try to do as much as possible with my 7 day hopper. Thank you in advance for your advice. Which water park is good, what about night life, is magic kingdom to babyish for her, how is animal kingdom?

Old May 8th, 2002, 12:34 AM
PDP

Went to Disney with with three children (boys, ages 14, 13, and 11. They enjoyed Animal Kingdom and MGM the most. Universal was also a favorite. Least liked was Epcot.

Old May 8th, 2002, 03:17 AM
Gail

Since we don't know your daughter this is impossible to say. All the parks have a lot to offer. I go with no children and I like Magic Kingdom.
For the most information you'll ever find on Disney, go to
www.disboards.com

Old May 8th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Beth2

Some of the best rides are at Magic Kingdom! Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain Rail Road, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Space Mountain - be sure to do all these early and first thing one morning before the lines get long. Use the Fast Passes to avoid long waits! Lunch at the Diamond Horseshoe saloon is fun as there is entertainment.
She'd also probably love a visit to the Grand Floridian even if you are not staying there. Enjoy tea time together, and maybe even a spa pedicure before of after!
MGM is also fun, if she's into movies. The two thrill rides there (Rock n Roller Coaster and the crazy elevator ride) were a bit too thrilling for my 11-year old daughter! But she loved Star Tours, the Great Movie Ride, and Muppet Vision 3D, and lunch at the Sci-Fi Drive-in Diner.
For "night-life," check out the musical comedy murder mystery show at the Grosvenor Hotel. My kids had a blast! The actors are very good about paying attention to kids in the audience and involving them in the show.
One of the water parks has closed. I can't remember the name (River Country?), but it is the original Huck Finn watering hole type. Only Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon remain. Blizzard Beach I think is the newest; the Lagoon has a wave maker and snorkeling.
If she loves animals and zoos, be sure to plan a full day at Animal Kingdom. If she loves foreign countries and cuisines, she'll enjoy (back)Epcot. If she loves the sciences, she'll enjoy (front) Epcot. Plan at least one dinner at Epcot so you'll be around for Illuminations of the countries.
You both can't help but have a wonderful time, and with the Hopper-Pass you can come and go to as many different parks in one day as you please! Just don't try to do too much, especially if it's hot. If possible, leave your hotel early enough to be at Disney a half hour before posted opening. Do the most popular rides first. Have an early lunch (11:20). Take in a show! Then rest mid-afternoon at your hotel pool or water park to prepare for an evening adventure! It will be a super trip for both of you.

Old May 8th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Linda

I would suggest that you buy a Disney travel book (they have a "for kids" edition). Sit down with your daughter and go through all the attractions to see what she is most interested in. Keep a list so that when you are in the parks you hit everything.

I am 39 and go to Disney at least 2x a year - I love it all!!!

If it is your first visit don't make the mistake of trying to fit in everything...you all end up tired and cranky.

One thing that I like to do is to sit in the front part of the monorail with the driver. Most people don't know that you can do this.

When you get to the monorail, simply ask the person who is managing the line if you can sit with the driver (they allow up to 4 per trip). It may take a few times before you get to do it, but it is very cool.

Old May 8th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Postal

I live in Orlando and it has already been incredibly hot this year - even for here! The most important thing is to plan for rests back at your hotel during the hottest time of the day, noon to 2 PM. Start out early, rest in the heat of the day, and then go back in the late afternoon.