Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Disney (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/disney-475495/)

susanbanna Sep 20th, 2004 06:13 PM

Disney

My daughter and I are taking a trip to Disney.
Does anyone know how to find last minute deals in Disney hotels. We want to stay in Disney for sure.
Also is the Liberty Tree Tavern worth the money. I think the advantage is to be there when Mickey's Halloween Happening starts.
Any other helpful tips will be appreciated!
Thank you

wanderluster Sep 20th, 2004 06:24 PM

Check out disboards.com for absolutely everything disney.

Heartburn3 Sep 20th, 2004 09:19 PM

Don't plan on last minute deals on Disney on-site hotels. They are currently running specials and I tried to get several of the nicer hotels, then went to the moderate level. However, we had to take one of their budget hotels (All Sports.) And this is for an early November vacation. I'm sure around Halloween they will be booked up quickly.

Sorry, I don't know anything about The Liberty Tree Tavern. However, we had a birthday dinner in the nice hotel in Cinderella's Castle and it was delicious (but expensive.)

Staying at a Disney hotel is great because you get free transportation to all the parks and other Disney locations. It is such a huge area, you can get lost trying to find places if you are driving.

We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge last December and loved it.

beachdreams Sep 21st, 2004 05:04 AM

I chose to stay at the Hilton there instead of a Disney property. You still get the free transportation (although we rented a car) and you also get the early entry. The only things you do not get are free parking at the parks (but if you use their transportation this is not an issue) and you can not purchase the ultimate park hopper tickets. You can purchase the Park Hopper Plus tickets though. Mind you, I do not have children so I was not as concerned about the total Disney experience.

swalter518 Sep 21st, 2004 05:54 AM

Expedia buys up blocks at the Disney hotels so you might want to check their prices. As for the Liberty Tree, it's family style, meat and potatoes dinner but it's a great place to see all the characters and they will come right up to your table to your daughter.

radiofanatic Sep 21st, 2004 06:22 AM

I would use Priceline to get a good rate. Go to biddingfortravel.com for advice on how to use it.

Liberty Tavern is a waste of money - the exact same food is right next store for 1/2 the price as the restaurant which has great clam chowder in a bowl and fish and chips or chicken tenders. My husband and I share the soup and one of the other two choices and get very full.

radiofanatic Sep 21st, 2004 06:23 AM

Also, recently I went through jetblue.com and got a suite (you don't have to buy plane tix to use it) at Westgate for $67/night.

rjw_lgb_ca Sep 21st, 2004 07:13 AM

I have to point this out: There are two "Disney" parks in the US. The original is here in California, while the "improved" version is in Florida. It would be very helpful to post which property you're asking about in the title. Or somewhere in the body of the post.

wills Sep 21st, 2004 07:18 AM

Hi Susanbanna, go to Mousesavers.com and it will answer all of your questions. People like Liberty tree tavern for the view more than the food. Mousesavers will give you info on getting tickets and staying in the Park. We stayed at the Polynesian and I highly recommend it for location. For overall resort I would stay at the Animal Kingdom, it was just incredible, we stayed there for one night at the beginning of our trip. I don't know if you're flying but there's a limo service that is very good and it makes a stop at the grocery store so you can get water etc. It works out to be not too much more than the Mears shuttle and it is vastly better. It sounds kind of anal but it does pay to do some research before going to Disney, you'll save yourself time and money and get the most out of it. There are a lot of unofficial websites, and they all have good info. Have a magical time!

eroz Sep 21st, 2004 07:52 AM

i heard the best time to go is Thanksgiving. deals for hotels and flights supposedly.

mikesmom Sep 21st, 2004 08:02 AM

I don't think Thanksgiving week is a great time to go to Disney World. It will be VERY crowded and I doubt you would get good air and hotel deals. If you go the week BEFORE or AFTER Thanksgiving, then you should be able to get great deals and the crowds will disappear.

If you have children with you, the character meals are big fun. We did the Crystal Palace for breakfast and everyone loved it. Is it overpriced? Of course, it's Disney. Is it fun? you bet.

tom_h Sep 21st, 2004 09:18 AM

ditto, I have found www.Mousesavers.com to be a good, reliable source for Disney hotel discounts.

Some of the best Disney hotel rates require having a Disney Annual Pass, but only one person in the room needs to have it.

Even with buying an Annual Pass, the net overall savings (hotel + park admissions) could be advantageous.

All this is explained at Mousesavers.com.

radiofanatic Sep 21st, 2004 09:36 AM

my husband and I always go the week AFTER thanksgiving which is hands down the cheapest time of year to go and with no lines or waits. We've done this for 7-8 years now and never a problem