Reload this Page >

Discount theatre tickets in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Laura

One last question before we go. Where are the discount ticket booth(s) located? I remember hearing that they only accept cash? Is this true?

Thanks in advance

Old May 9th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Sarah

Yes, you will need cash for the tickets. There are a number of atms in the area around Time Square. There are two discount booths - one in the middle of Time Square and the other in the World Trade Center. The advantage to the one on the World Trade Center is that it's indoors, which is nice depending on the weather conditions.

Old May 9th, 2001, 07:21 AM
rqf

The main booth is at Broadway and 47th Street. Cash only or travelers checks are accepted. The booth opens daily at 3pm for tickets for evening performances that day. On Matinee days (Wed, Sat. Sun.) booth opens at 10am. There is another booth located at 2 World Trade Center. Matinee tickets can be purchased the day before at this location. Booth opens at 11 am.
There is another ticket option - theater discount coupons. Go to the Visitors Center across the street from the TKTs booth (between 46th and 47th). Go to the information desk and ask for theater discount tickets. YOu will be given a book showing what is available. Advantage - tickets are purchased at the box office for a performance on any date, there are usually no lines to contend with and credit cards may be accepted.. Also tickets are available at different prices (At TKTS they only sell the highest priced tickets).
Disadvantage (minor) - tickets cost a little more than half price.
One further note- lines at TKTS are usually non existent from 5pm and on. NOt all shows may be availabe later in the day but you won't be spending an hour or so in line waiting to purchase a ticket.

Old May 9th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Howard

Additional advice for standing in line at Time Square. Try to get in line about an hour before it opens (i.e., 9 a.m. for matinees and 2 p.m. for evening performances). The lines are usually less than a block long at the time. A guideline for how long your wait will be: Each equivalent of a block-long line will take about 25-30 minutes of waiting time. (The lines can sometimes snake the equivalent of 3 or 4 blocks.) While the lines may be shorter after 5 p.m., your choices are usually greatly diminished.
One correction on rqf's posting above: TKTS does sometimes sell tickets below the highest priced ones.

Old May 9th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Laura

Thanks for some great info!

Old May 9th, 2001, 10:04 AM
marj

the booth at the world trade center sells matinee tickets (wed, sat & sun) the day before the show. The line usually moves rather quickly. if you get there a little bit before it opens you can be out of there pretty fast. bring cash, no credit cards accepted. make sure you get on the tkts line and not the line to go up to the top of the world trade center (both line are in the same area).

Old May 14th, 2001, 12:06 PM
patrick

I just used the World Trade center office and it is great especially because it is better organized and moves very quickly. I thought the line looked long but it took less than 20 minutes to get shows for that evenings performance of Stones in His Pockets and the next day's matinee of Proof -- great seats for both at half price. I especially like being able to get two shows at once -- including the next day's matinee.

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:09 PM
annK

Also going down to the World Trade Center, you will probably have more choices for tickets and shows as this location is open earlier in the day.

Enjoy your stay.

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:45 PM
rqf

Some months back I went to the WTC for discount tickets. Got there around 1pm and while there was no line the show tickets I wanted were not available - was told the allotment for that loction was gone. The ticket agent suggested I go to the 47th Street location since they might have the tickets. I did so and did get tickets for the show I wanted to see. If you go to the WTC booth suggest you get there as soon as it opens or shortly thereafter since that location must have a limited number of tickets for each show on the board.

Old May 14th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Howard

rqf's advice is right on the mark, as I believe that since the Times Square TKTS branch gets a lot more action, that location gets more tickets from the theaters.

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:25 AM
Philip

You can find out what tix are on TKTS by going to the following website:

http://newyork.citysearch.com
and typing TKTS in the search area.

The drawback is that they don't update this until 4:30pm and it's only for the evening performance. But it is good to watch it over a few days to see if you have any chance of your favorite show appearing on the boards.

Old May 18th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Linda

I've got a little tip to avoid waiting on those TKTS booth lines. When my cousin came to town, I went to http://www.broadwayonline.com/club and signed up to be a member - which was free. I got discounts to a lot of shows and chose which days I wanted to go. The website has info you can print out and bring to the box office for the discount, but there's also info for tickets bought over the phone. The box office accepts credit cards, so you don't have to pay by cash.

Old May 18th, 2001, 10:15 AM
anonymous

Frankly, I am not impressed with broadwayonline.com. I've neer found any bargains there. In fact, usually, I've found them to be more expensive. I prefer the Playbill website. But, even there, the prices are not as good as TKTS. Granted, you don't have wait in line and you can use credit cards.
From my experience, don't use broadwayonline.com. (PS: Call me a skeptic, but do you work for them, Linda?)