Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   discount broadway tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/discount-broadway-tickets-387595/)

MelissaBeckoff Jan 15th, 2004 06:13 AM

discount broadway tickets

to get best selection of discount show tickets, is it better to go for friday night or saturday or sunday matinee?
looking end of april.

melissa

HowardR Jan 15th, 2004 06:29 AM

Either Friday night or Sunday matinee, with Sunday propably having more availability. Saturday matinee is the second most popular performance. (Saturday night is first, of course).

MelissaBeckoff Jan 15th, 2004 08:36 AM

thanks
are the prices better if we go to the ticket booth in times squae or are they the same as using discount tickets?

HowardR Jan 15th, 2004 09:53 AM

For Broadway shows, it's cheaper to go to the TKTS booth in Times Square. Tickets are half place plus $3. Most discount coupon/ticket offers are only 1/3 off. However, there are some that are half price, especially for the next couple months.
Obviously, however, it's more practical to use the discountcoupon oddwea, as you can go right to the box office and avoid waiting in line at TKTS, which can get long. Also, you can get them in advance and not have to wait for the day of the performance, as you have to do at TKTS.
When are you coming?

MelissaBeckoff Jan 15th, 2004 11:50 AM

april 30-may 2

HowardR Jan 15th, 2004 12:28 PM

Since you're not going until the end of April, it's too early to find any discount offers for those dates. The earliest that discount coupons will be available will be in February...and then probably not till later in the month. Keep checking the Playbill website.

MelissaBeckoff Jan 15th, 2004 01:15 PM

Thanks

djkbooks Jan 15th, 2004 04:48 PM

In addition to Playbill.com, sign up at Broadwaybox.com, Theatermania.com, and there are others.

Shop seats, too.

mlm59 Jan 15th, 2004 05:05 PM

When we were in New York we went on Friday afternoon to the TKTS booth at South Street Seaport. The wait was very short. We were able to get tickets for the Saturday matinee of Gypsy. When we were in Times Square on Saturday morning the line was huge. We were glad we got our tickets on Friday.

mclaurie Jan 16th, 2004 04:30 AM

Yes, what mlm is saying is that <i>matinee&lt;i/&gt; tickets are available at the South St TKTS booth the day before show. I don't think that's true for evening performances though.</i>

HowardR Jan 16th, 2004 05:30 AM

mclaurie is correct. Only the same day performance and the next day's matinee are available at South Street Seaport, not the next day's evening performance.

Patrick Jan 16th, 2004 06:31 AM

And to further clarify an advantage of the South Street Seaport booth, on Friday you can get tickets for both THAT evening and the next day's matinee. Same thing applies on Tuesday, you can get tickets to two shows -- that night and the Wed. matinee.