Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

disappointed at st. hazards on middle bass island

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 10:02 AM
jennifer

Just got back from a trip to middle bass island and we stayed in a villa at st. hazards resort. We payed $438. to stay for 2 nights and I felt totally ripped off. The first villa they showed us had a swarm of flies in it, it had food and cigarette butts in the corner of the kitchen floor. It was supposed to sleep 6 people, it had one bed and A rollout with a VERY thin mattress over a bar (when we unrolled this mattress it had cereal in it) We asked to be switched to another villa and the next one was a little cleaner however, it still only slept 4 people (very uncomfortably I might add). We had to duck to get inside the villa because of hugh spider webs and after the second night we had the pleasure of waking up to mice poop all over the counter. The beach was unuable with tons of seaweed on shore. The waitress at the resteraunt was unfriendly and slow (we never did get mustard or ketchup for our hamburgers because we couldn't find her again) and we were the only people in the restaurant! They told me there would be a live band on Saturday night (no band) all they had was a speaker by the pool which kept going in and out. They also only had 3 pillows and one comforter. The water smelled so bad that no one took a shower all weekend. I can go on forever. I just hope I saved another person from experiencing this horrible place. We did try to complain but they looked at us like we were crazy and we only complained about the mice and sleeping situation! For $438.00 we could of had a nice hotel or bed and breakfast. jennifer

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Mr. Christian

Just got back from a trip to middle bass island and we stayed in a villa at st. hazards resort.

WHERE IS THIS DUKES OF HAZZARD RESORT ON A FISHY ISLAND? (yes, I realize I'm using "caps," Einstein)

We payed $438. to stay for 2 nights and I felt totally ripped off.

WHAT... RIPPED OFF YOU SAY? $219 A DAY DIDN'T TIP YOU OFF?

The first villa they showed us had a swarm of flies in it,

HINT: IT'S CALLED "BASS ISLAND"!!!!

it had food and cigarette butts in the corner of the kitchen floor. It was supposed to sleep 6 people, it had one bed and A rollout with a VERY thin mattress over a bar (when we unrolled this mattress it had cereal in it)

SOUNDS DELICIOUS!

We asked to be switched to another villa and the next one was a little cleaner however, it still only slept 4 people (very uncomfortably I might add).

HOW MANY WERE YOU TRYING TO SQUEEZE IN?

We had to duck to get inside the villa because of hugh spider webs

COULDN'T KNOCK 'EM DOWN, HUH?

and after the second night we had the pleasure of waking up to mice poop all over the counter.

ARE YOU SURE IT WASN'T YOURS?

The beach was unuable with tons of seaweed on shore.

DID YOU MAKE CASTLES OUT OF THE SEAWEED?

The waitress at the resteraunt was unfriendly and slow (we never did get mustard or ketchup for our hamburgers because we couldn't find her again) and we were the only people in the restaurant!

DID YOU TIP HER THE "MOUSE POOP?"

IS A "RESTERAUNT" A TIRED SPACE TRAVELLER?

They told me there would be a live band on Saturday night (no band) all they had was a speaker by the pool which kept going in and out. They also only had 3 pillows and one comforter.

PILLOWS AT THE POOL?

The water smelled so bad that no one took a shower all weekend.

STINKY!

I can go on forever. I just hope I saved another person from experiencing this horrible place. We did try to complain but they looked at us like we were crazy and we only complained about the mice and sleeping situation! For $438.00 we could of had a nice hotel or bed and breakfast.

UM, HOW DID YOU HEAR OF THIS CASTLE? INTERNET? TRAVEL AGENT? BROCHURE? FODORS?

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Sandi

Funny-I have had friends stay there and they loved it.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 07:56 AM
topper

Hey, where is Bass Island anyway? Caribbean, California, Lake Erie?

Confused and landlocked.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 09:58 AM
jennifer

Middle bass island is located in Ohio, Lake Erie (about 40 minutes from shore)

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:04 AM
jennifer

Oh Christian You are so funny and witty, how lucky for us all that you have time to post such a useless message.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:14 AM
jennifer

Sandi,

I am curious to know when your friends visited this resort? I am wondering if the resort has changed management.
When I say there was spider webs, we are talking 3-4 feet with at least 20-25 bugs in it. Btw, we did search for a stick to knock it down.
Was the villa clean? Did they have enough mattresses to sleep six?

My husband and I are usually not picky, but I would NEVER recommend St Hazards.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:46 PM
George

http://www.sainthazards.com/ looks pretty bad.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 01:37 PM
sam

I agree. I just checked out the website...warning! white trash alert! What made you decide to stay there in the first place?!?! It looks abysmal from the website.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Ginny

Jennifer-I know that the units there are individually owned and the place is supposed to be a huge party place which would explain the cigarette burns etc. I would write to the place and cc a copy to the Put-In-Bay Chamber of Commerce and the Ottawa County Visitors Bureau.

Next time stay on Put-In-Bay, there are lovely b&b's on the Island.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Jeff

Jennifer:
I took a look at the website.
The 'mascot' or advertising cartoon for the 'resort' is a drunk admiral hoisting a beer!!
Too funny!!

And the cabin I looked at slept 6 people for $95 a night during the week!
Thaose would be considered BIG CLUES, in my book, that this is NOT the Plaza Hotel on Central Park.
Your complaints, while completely legitimate, won't fall on sympathetic ears because there are probably quite a few people who stay there without complaining.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 04:18 PM
jennifer

I really don't know what possessed us to book with St. Hazards. It probably was the laid back carribean flare, I was attracted to. However, the website protrayed a much nicer setting than it was in real life. We knew it was not going to be *the ritz* and we were there too party and relax in the hottub. I was just shocked on the condition of the villas and very disappointed there was no live band (I was told when I booked, there would be a band). It is disturbing when it advertises "sleeps six" and we only had one bed and a 3 inch foam mat.
Anyhow, I wanted other people who may consider st. hazards to be forewarned.

Yes, we do wish we would of booked a b&b on put in bay. Btw, put in bay is a lot of fun.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:41 PM
mike

Jennifer,
I stayed at St. hazards last memorial weekend when the tragedy occurred at the lonz winery. I have to agree it is a pit! We complained and they turned a blind eye. I would not recommend this place.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:57 PM
marcy

christian... ha-ha-ha-ha yawn
what a whit or in your case twit!