Search

Disabled

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Pauline Sole

Disabled

I am hopefully going to Hawaii at the end of October and spending 3 days in Ohau before joining a cruise, my husband is unable to walk long distances and I would like to hire a wheelchair for those three days instead of bringing one from the U.K. Can anyone help me in this quest. Many thanks.Pauline Sole.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 02:48 AM
x

to the top to help Pauline! (PS pauline, I think the 'disabled' are called 'handicapped' in the US (although the phrase is, to us, a little outdated, I know) but it may help to re-title.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 05:57 AM
xx

They are not called either and there is a difference in meaning. THe pc term is physically challenged.
Anyhow, there are 2 ps in handicapped.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Sue

Pauline,
Try access-able.com This web-site has phone numbers and addresses of rental equipment in Hawaii. Most will even bring the wheelchair to your hotel and pick up.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 12:42 PM
x

xx, firstly, I did spell handicapped with 2 p's, (I am guessing thats what you meant) and secondly, I did say I THOUGHT thats what you called the disabled over there, as when I have travelled to US, that was the term that people used. Must have been a misunderstanding.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 12:49 PM
cindy

Pauline, I have no idea why x and xx are giving you such a hard time!
Disabled is the more common usage in the US these days but everyone will know what you're talking about either way. Sue gave you useful info, but check your other post too, there may be info there too. In the future you might get more targeted info here by being a little more specific in the title of your message "Wheelchair rental in Hawaii" would have, hopefully, found more helpful people with responses for you.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 12:53 PM
x

oh dear, i think the last post has misquoted me! if you read my first post, I was trying to help pauline, just by getting this thread to the top, unfortunately someone was picking up on my spelling. Just misunderstandings I guess. Hope you find out more helpful info pauline

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 03:02 PM
ttt

topping for pauline

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Pauline

Many thanks to you all for your help. I do not feel the need to be politically correct, my husband to me is disabled, and at the age of 70 thats how we both see itn no need for fancy names !
Once again thanks. Pauline

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Dick

I had responded to your other post - the one with the "handicapped" title, but perhaps you didn't see that, so here it is again:

Message: Pauline - Go to the Google search engine at www.google.com. Search on "wheelchair rental", then (at the bottom of the page) search within those results on "hawaii". You will find many choices.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 08:18 AM
x

you should also check with your hotel (assuming you've made reservations somewhere). they may have a service they use possibly at a discount.