Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Directions to Grimaldi's Pizza and the ice cream shop in Brooklyn

Oct 21st, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

We will be in NY for a week in mid-November, and I wanted to go to Grimaldi's and the ice cream shop, but just read someone's posting that said they couldn't find them. Any directions?

I hope to go to the River cafe and Bargemusic for my husband's birthday. Have their website's hints, but what would be best on a Sunday? Train or bus?
Oct 21st, 2005, 06:19 PM

I'm guessing the bright yellow water taxi still runs in November. If so you can take it from the West Side (45th Street?) or from South Street Seaport. It stops literally at the front door of the ice cream factory, and from there you walk right up the street about a block to Grimaldi's. It's really the easiest way to get there without getting lost.
Oct 21st, 2005, 06:26 PM

Amanda, I hope you get an answer. I'm curious to know as well since I do believe we took the "long" way to get to Grimaldi's, lol.

I agree with Patrick though. If the water taxi is running take it on over to Brooklyn. Afterwards, you can walk back across the bridge and enjoy the view.

The pizza is so very well worth the trip
Oct 21st, 2005, 06:49 PM

I can say that when once in NYC with friends for pleasure, vs. my usual business trips, we walked over the Brooklyn Bridge with hopes of a great ice cream at the promenade and pizza at Grimaldi's. Well, once we crossed the bridge, we must have missed some sort of turn off because we were a bit lost for awhile and had a ways to walk before getting to where we wanted to be. Two of the three of us needing a bathroom didn't help matters, either.

Both places are apparently easily off the bridge, within a few blocks, as long as you ensure you are on the right track. So, my suggestion would be to ask someone in earshot which way to head if you are walking across the bridge. Of course, if you are in a taxi that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, get to either one at a fairly early hour (as in maybe before 7 p.m.). We arrived later than that and had to wait in a good line for both. But, they were worth it.
Oct 21st, 2005, 09:32 PM

Patrick or anyone..would that water taxi from the West side be suitable for going to the River Cafe too ? Do they go at night? Many thanks.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:11 AM

www.nywatertaxi.com

Unfortunately it looks like in the winter it becomes pretty much a commuter thing and does not run in the evenings.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:14 AM

Amanda/Peteralan:

Take a look at www.nywatertaxi.com lots of very good information including walking directions to both the pizza place and River Caf.

Appears the winter schedule is now in effect so time of year would be a factor.

This is on my to do list in one of the best cities in the world.

Regards,
Sandy
Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:28 AM

Regarding the Water Taxi, they are now on their winter schedule so they only run during weekdays, during rush hours, and only up the east side. They do not stop at the Seaport this time of year. nywatertaxi.com.

I am so sorry people got lost! I could see it happening with all those overpasses, highway ramps and the bridge anchorage in the way. People must look down that hill with its 6 lanes of traffic and think "it can't possibly be down there."

If you take a cab out there, most cabbies know where the River Cafe is, so just have them bring you there. The ice cream factory is just to the left of it on the ferry landing. Bargemusic is just to the left of that, attached to the ferry landing. Grimaldis is 1/2 block up the hill on Old Fulton Street (the very wide main street) and can't be missed with its green awning and line out the door.

DON'T take a bus. They don't go to that area from Manhattan.

If you take the subway, the best is the A&C train which runs down 8th Ave in Manhattan. Take it to High Street-Brooklyn Bridge. Exit towards the back of the train (Henry Street/Cadman Plaza West). When you get up to the sidewalk, make a U turn and head down the hill. The street veers to the left and becomes Old Fulton St. The bridge runs parallel to it and will be across the street on your right. You have to walk 3 blocks down Old Fulton, crossing a couple highway ramps and going under overpasses. As you near the water, Grimaldis is on the right, Ice Cream is straight ahead on the dock.

Grimaldis, River Cafe & Ice Cream Factory are all practically under the bridge. So if you get lost, just head towards the water where the Bridge crosses over it, then go a little further south (where you'll hit Old Fulton St) and you can't go wrong.

Statia, the Ice cream factory is NOT on the Promenade...its on the ferry landing. The Promenade is another nearby destination (a walkway/park above the highway in Brooklyn Heights with great city views). Sorry, just don't want people to get confused.

And, yes, when in doubt, ASK someone. Nearly every day when I get out of the subway I see some lost-looking people who are obviously trying to find River Cafe or Grimaldis or sometimes the promenade. If they ask, I gladly give them directions.

Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:38 AM

Check to see what days Grimaldi's is open. It was closed the day we went, if I remember right, that was a Monday.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:39 AM

Sorry - Grimaldi's was open, it was the ice cream shop that was closed.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 07:23 AM

Suzanne - your directions are perfect. I used to live in the Heights, but it's been a while since I came out of the High Street Station and couldn't remember how the "right" exit is marked. Nicely done.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 11:21 AM

I suggest Grimaldi's for lunch. If available, take the water taxi from the South Street Seaport.

It can be tough to find otherwise.
Oct 23rd, 2005, 01:51 AM

Thanks everyone.
Oct 23rd, 2005, 04:51 AM

At the risk of inciting a riot can I suggest that you try out Lombardi's pizza. I'm not from NYC (so less biased) but have to say their pizza is FAB!