Reload this Page >

smoking ban in Calif. truth or joke??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 1998, 12:17 PM
Toni

Attention anyone living in Calif....last night on Jay Leno I heard that smoking is banned in California in all restaurants, bars, banquent rooms, I guess just about everywhere....is this true or was Jay just making jokes?? The reason I need to find out is because my husband is planning a large convention in May with over 250 attendees (many are European) and he was going to have this in San Diego. He has not finalized payment and can still switch to a different city/state (many of the attendees are smokers). I'm just wondering if this is truth or just a "monologue" joke. Thanks. Toni

Old Jan 6th, 1998, 01:27 PM
Erich

Toni:

This is absolutely true!! Effective midnight, January 1, the new took effect which effectively prohibits patrons from smoking in restaurants, bars, lounges, etc. Although I'm not an attorney and don't know the full extent of this law, I believe that single owner bars (i.e., where there are no other employees other than the owner) are exempt from this law. Several cities have already adopted laws whereby people are even prohibited from smoking in any public place, inside or outside. It's simply better to ask than to risk a fine. . .or possible arrest. Hope this helps.

Old Jan 7th, 1998, 08:11 AM
Jillian

Yes, Toni. This is true. My poor father will attest to this...he has owned a local, very successful tavern for the past 22 years. Approximately 70%25 of his patrons (ex-patrons) are smokers. As the owner, he can't even decide for his own business. Pretty scarey huh? Supposedly, this is a law to protect employees...ironically, all 3 of the bartenders in Pop's bar are smokers! I would certainly call the convention center )?) wherever, you're planning your shindig and confirm but it looks like you may be changing locations....this is statewide, not citywide. I have heard that business owners are trying to appeal this new law but as of now, it's in effect. Good luck, Jillian

Old Jan 14th, 1998, 01:45 PM
Scott

Thank God it is true! Actually, the law was supposed to take effect several years ago, but was delayed so that the bar owners could come up with a compromise. Of course, they did nothing. Cities often have their own laws regarding smoking. These cover workplaces, public meetings, and the like. The State now also has laws on the subject. Bottom line–––smokers at your gathering will have to stand outdoors to poison themselves!

Old Jan 16th, 1998, 07:57 AM
Will

No, smokers can't stand outside either at bars. Since 1969 I've owned a tavern/pool parlor in Orange County and there is strict "drinking in public" and "loitering" laws in my town which are strictly enforced. During the first week of 1998 I received a violation. This law is certainly ruining my business as approximately 70 percent of my customers were smokers. I just wish the bar owners could decide for themselves and have large signs posted so patrons would know before coming through the door "Smoking Allowed" or No Smoking Allowed". This law is to protect employees but all my employees smoke....go figure! Two years ago I spent tens of thousands of dollars installing a complete state of the art ventillation system (not a recirculating system) If only I'd known, I could have saved a lot of money and used this towards surviving since my business is off 60%25.

Old Feb 7th, 1998, 10:04 AM
J. Roberts

RE: Thank God it's true. That is the myopic farsightedness that ruins a state's lifestyle! I suppose the next logical law would be to ban combustion automobiles as they are the leading cause of pollution in California, and God knows I wouldn't want the state to have to put up with any pollution! Down with cars! While they are at it, they could proscribe drinking water, as it carries risk of many diseases, and forbid eating in restaurants, as who knows how the food might be handled. I am an ex-smoker (widely known as the most militant anti-smoking campaigners), but I think the lawmakers might want to check for a more reasonable compromise, before they find themselves the victim of their own laws. The rights of the individual are being eroded at an alarming rate as it is, and this is just one more step towards a true police state.

Old Feb 8th, 1998, 12:39 AM
C.Akagi

Amen to above response.

Old Feb 8th, 1998, 02:33 PM
Roger

Hooray for California!! I only wish my state had the sense to ban smoking.....everywhere.