Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dinning in Philadelphia????? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dinning-in-philadelphia-72957/)

Joanna May 21st, 2000 05:56 PM

Dinning in Philadelphia?????

We are taking a trip to Longwood Gardens next weekend and will be spending a night in Philadelphia, Center City at the Marriott - We are looking for a few good restaurant recommendations- something more casual than jacket and tie. Thanks so much

elaine May 22nd, 2000 03:45 AM

Joanna, <BR> <BR>Here's my list of good Italian restaurants, most located in South Philadelphia. Make certain to phone for dinner reservations. These places are not huge, are very popular w/locals and do not require jacket/tie: <BR> <BR>Io E Tu Ristorante <BR>1514 S. Ninth St. <BR>(215) 271-3906 <BR> <BR>Felicia's <BR>1148 S. 11th St. <BR>(215) 755-9656 <BR> <BR>La Grolla <BR>782 S. Second St. <BR>(215) 627-7701 <BR> <BR>Tre Scalini <BR>1533 S. 11th St. (think this is byo and cash only) <BR>(215) 551-3870 <BR> <BR>La Locanda del Ghiottone <BR>130 N. Third St. (check re: byo) <BR>(215) 829-1465 <BR> <BR>Ralph's <BR>760 S. Ninth St. (cash/no c/cards) <BR>(215) 627-6011 <BR> <BR>Enjoy Longwood Gardens! <BR>

elaine May 22nd, 2000 05:36 AM

Joanna, <BR> <BR>Read your post too quickly...thought you asked for Italian restaurants. If you require add'l restaurant suggestions, please post. <BR> <BR>

Chris Collinson May 23rd, 2000 07:03 AM

If you're out near Longwood Gardens & feel like eating sooner rather than later, you might try a place called The Gables on US Rt 1 in Chadds Ford. Excellent food-not jacket & tie but slacks & a nice shirt. Otherwise in Philadelphia, pick up a "Philadelphia Magazine" &/or a "City Paper"-either will list tons of restaurants with ratings & casual/non-casual etc...

Pat May 23rd, 2000 07:31 AM

My choices would be : Circa around 15th and Walnut, and Monk's on 16th below Locust. Circa is probably a little dressier (and more expensive) on the weekend than Monk's. I have also heard that Pasion on 15th below Walnut is excellent but I'm not sure how dressy it is. Also Rouge on Rittenhouse Square. All would be very walkable from the Marriot. <BR>In Old City I like the Plough and the Stars, or Rococo. Rococo is expensive and I have been there only on a weekday. <BR>I think you could get by with nice business casual on a weekday but I'm not so sure about the weekends. It's in the old Corn Exchange building and the space is beautifully decorated. <BR>If you are looking for something really close to the Marriot, you could try Penang. It is a Malaysian restaurant in Chinatown that I haven't been to myself but two friends rave about it.

Jen Jun 15th, 2000 09:37 AM

Rococo and The Rose Tatoo Cafe are two of my favorites. Ralphs is great for Italian. Check out zagats.com for good reviews.