wakiki and big island advise

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He I'm plannin a trip at end of march 28-april 5 2015 to honolulu. Will be staying at the Embassy Suite (parking 35$). My plan is first night to hang out on beach. Second day to go do shopping around waikiki, 3rd day to go back to honolulu airport to rent a car at 11 am and go around the island. What can I do for that day with the car. I like nice scenery. Fourth day return car and fly to kona . Rent car for the entire stay. I'm staying at hilton waikoloa village on big island. I do want to see Hilo cuz I love the lush green scenery. Please advise any activities while we are there. I Do like to Drive to Hilo for a day and back? Thanks
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:38 AM

You can easily drive to Hilo for a day trip. I recommend going through Waikoloa Village and taking the new Saddle Road entrance (repaved); about 1.5 hours each way.
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:59 AM

You can rent the car at Waikiki rather than having to go out to the airport. We do this for a day every time we go and drive around the island stopping to look down on Hanauma Bay (unless you want to snorkel), stopping at the Blow Hole, at Kailua Beach, the Pali lookout, the Macadamia Nut Factory for free samples (and to buy), shrimp trucks for lunch, Haliewa for shave ice, Dole Pineapple Plantation, and back to Waikiki. The scenery is beautiful all around the island.

Do you not plan to see Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial?
Old May 18th, 2014, 01:09 PM

If you live beautiful scenery, be sure to take the drive ACROSS the island from the east side to the northwest on the H2 - it has to be one of the most beautiful drives anywhere.
Old May 27th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

I check car rental alot more expensive. I book through a program for about $56 a day.so much cheaper to get at airport. I don't want to see pearl harbor or Arizona Memorial. I prefer beautiful beaches and other things.Driving to Hilo and back before sunset will that give me enough time for anything? I have 5 nights on big island. Should I spent a night in hilo? Although I use points to book for Waikoloa village. Booking in hilo will cost money . So what's best thing to do? What can I see as day trip to Hilo with one day? Thanks
Old May 28th, 2014, 04:04 AM

I would rent a car for your beach day. I have stayed at Embassy Suites and the beaches in that area were disappointing, just a narrow strip of sand, and very crowded.
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:21 AM

You certainly can drive to Hilo and back to Waikoloa in one day. Here are some other suggestions.

Beaches we like on the Big Island—
On the Kohala Coast—
• Hapuna- north of the Hilton—classic white sand beach
• ‘Anaeho’omalu Bay (aka A Bay)-south of the Hilton—there are some ancient fish ponds behind the beach
• Kakaha Kai (formerly Kona Coast) State Park)-closed on Wed. access is down a very bumpy but usually passable road across the lava—we’ve done it in rental car—just go slow—we’ve been there on weekday mornings when no one else was there
• Kauna’oa Beach—it’s the beach at the Mauna Kea Resort—which is north of the Hilton Waikoloa—only 30 parking passes are available so go early—pull up to the entrance and ask the guy in the little building for a parking pass for the beach—and if they are all gone, drive south to Hapuna

Day trip suggestions
1. Hawi in North Kohala—take highway 19 to Kawaihae—you can visit Pu’ukohola Heiau there—a structure built by Kamehameha the Great. Continue up highway 270 to Hawi. If it’s clear you can see Maui with its dormant volcano-Haleakala looming to the west. Hawi is a charming little town with a few shops, one with Tropical Dreams ice cream-yum. We also like Bamboo Restaurant or Sushi Rock for lunch. Continue on highway 270 through Kapa’au (where the original King Kamehameha statue is located) to the end of the road at the Pololu Valley. http://tinyurl.com/l5ohh7 You can hike down into the valley—not really difficult—and go to the black sand beach that fronts the valley. I would not advise trying to swim there. The ocean is too dangerous. To return to Waikoloa—go back to Hawi and turn left onto highway 250 which will take you up over the extinct Kohala volcano– great views of the ocean and of Mauna Kea as you come down to highway 19 just west of Waimea. Take 19 back to where you are staying.

2. Hamakua Coast to Hilo-- take highway 19 - a beautiful drive. Sights along the way:
a. Waipio Valley west of Honokaa – you can hike down a short but very steep road to get into the Valley or take a tour (we did this one a few years ago http://www.waipiovalleywagontours.com ). If you do hike down and are too tired to hike up. Hold up a ten dollar bill and a local who’s going up will probably give you a ride in his/her four wheel drive.
b. Akaka Falls—440 ft waterfall—easy walk through the rain forest to get to the falls
c. Hawaiian Tropical Botanic Gardens http://www.htbg.com/ admission is a little pricy – but it
is beautiful.
d. If you would like to taste Hawaiian-grown tea –check out this site. http://www.onotea.com/
We’ve done tea tasting there a couple of times. Beautiful setting—reservations are
necessary
e. An interesting tour on the Hamakua coast—they raise beautiful mushrooms—reservations are needed- http://hamakuamushrooms.com/
f. Hilo—the largest town on the Big Island—has a wonderful farmer’s market on Saturday
and Wednesday (it’s better on Saturday)-- http://www.hilofarmersmarket.com/ It’s a great
place to buy fresh fruits and veggies and souvenirs

3. Volcano—if you decide to go there, be aware it tends to be rainier and cooler in Volcano than where you will be staying—so take a sweatshirt or sweater, just in case

Just before you get to Volcano on highway 11, you may want to stop at Akatsuka Orchids—nice clean restrooms, gorgeous flowers and they usually have a basket of free little orchids—if you’d like one for your hair http://www.akatsukaorchid.com/store/
Another good site for Kona and Hawaii information
www.konaweb.com
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the great informations.