Dinner near Los Angeles Sports Arena?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting college son in LA next week and scored tickets to the Springsteen concert. We aren't familiar with the area and are looking for suggestions for dinner before the show. Nothing fancy, but would love some good local food. LA's famous food trucks included, although it would be nice to be able to get a drink. Would prefer to park at the arena and walk to dinner. Help?
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 12:33 PM
lvk

I really don't think you want to be walking around in that area. Unless there are some food trucks parked near the Science Center or Natural History Museum (as I know they are near LACMA), or some places close very close to or on the USC Campus, I wouldn't venture on foot too far from the grounds of Exposition Park. There are cafes and fast food in the museums, but probably not what you are looking for.

http://www.expositionpark.org/about-us

Here's a map that tells you where food trucks might be on any given day.
http://www.foodtrucksmap.com/la/

Maybe some Trojan alumni or parents will chime in with some suggestions nearby.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 06:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Would prefer to park at the arena and walk to dinner."

I wouldn't. I'd eat near wherever you are staying and then drive to the concert. I definitely would not wander around
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Well, we're staying way down in Hermosa Beach for reasons obviously not related to the concert. Would be happy to stop somewhere in between, but closer to the arena, but just don't know where to begin. Somewhere that parking is easy and that's not a chain. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 10:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
McKay's in the Radisson Hotel a few blocks north of the Sports Arena on Figueroa:

http://mckays.usc.edu/

It would be a bit of a walk between the Sports Arena and the restaurant (1/2 mile each direction). I'd probably park twice but not because of safety concerns at that time of day. I also don't know how early the SA parking lots would open.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 08:25 AM
lvk

From Hermosa Beach to the Sports Arena, google maps shows you would take PCH north to the 105 east to 110 North. Honestly, along those sections of the 105 and the 110, there is not one exit I would recommend an out-of-towner take to find a restaurant. IMHO, you have a couple of choices:

1) If you are leaving for the concert from Hermosa, grab a very early dinner in Manhattan Beach or El Segundo, then head out to the concert.
2) If you are out and about that day, make your way to downtown LA at the dinner hour and find a great place there to eat. From downtown to the Sports Arena at 7pm, should only take you 15 minutes or so.
One caveat, though: All 3 teams that play at the Staples Center (Lakers, Clippers, Kings) will be in the playoffs, so if it is a game night for any of them, downtown traffic during that time will be rough (especially when combined with traffic for the concert).

Let us know if you need any specific restaurant recommendations for MB, El Segundo or Downtown.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Yes, specific recommendations please! We have been to LA to visit our son at Otis a couple of times now, and we never know where to eat. Being a poor college student, he is no help! We try to avoid chains (unless it is Pinkberry!) We like casual, good food and would love to try Korean barbecue and get some good, authentic, Mexican. We'll be along the beaches most of the week, but also doing various sight-seeing things. We have tickets for a Leno taping so suggestions for lunch on the way to Burbank would also be appreciated!
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Leno taping will be fun, but did you know you could see him on Sunday at the Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa?

A little Korean BBQ, a little Mexican, and a little points-in-between:

http://aframela.com/new/#

"Authentic" Mexican might be easier to find in Mexico, although there are dozens of good Mexican restaurants, even chains, throughout L.A. Oddly, some of the best reviewed or favorite Mexican restaurants are not owned/operated by Mexicans, and some of the better-reviewed non-Mexican restaurants in town have Mexican chefs. Go figure.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 02:54 PM
lvk

I typed a whole list of recommendations with links this morning an it somehow went away.

Korean BBQ - you can try to find a Kogi Truck www.kogibbq.com or eat at their location, Alibi Room, which is pretty close to Otis.

Mexican, Beach Cities (so many, but here are some favorites): Hole in the wall favorites: El Tarasco on Rosecrans in Manhattan Beach; the roof deck at El Gringo on Hermosa Ave in HB; best breakfast burritos/quesadillas - Amigos Tacos on Manhattan Ave in HB.
For atmosphere and Margaritas, Pancho's in MB is a local institution. www.panchosrestaurant.com/ as is Riviera Mexican Grill in Redondo.

Don't discount the chains. Wahoo's and Rubio's have good fish tacos.

Sorry, I can't help you with Burbank. Other than the oldest remaining Bob's Big Boy: www.bobs.net
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess by authentic Mexican I just meant that I wasn't interested in the chains like El Torito. Being from the east coast anything is better than what we have.