Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dinner in New York - (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dinner-in-new-york-183483/)

joan Aug 31st, 2001 03:16 AM

Dinner in New York -

We will be in NY at the end of Nov and would like to make some dinner reservations. We have eaten at many of "the first time to NY" restaurants. Now we would like to eat at some of the smaller more local type restaurants. Eating out while traveling is one of the highlights of our trips. (We live in small town Midwest - so variety is always fun for us) We don't need to see or be seen but what is great and new or -- great and old. Thanks for your input. JJW

Olga Aug 31st, 2001 03:41 AM

Joan, do you like Italian? An interesting and very good restaurant is called FRESCA by Scotto. It's on 52nd Street between Madison and Park Avenues (212)935-3434. This is second generation Scotto family run. The owner's mother, Roseanna Scotto is an anchor on a New York TV news program. The food is wonderful.

NBP Aug 31st, 2001 07:00 AM

I'm a native NY'er, here's my picks. There are so many places to choose from.) <BR> <BR>Italian: <BR> <BR>I Trulli <BR>122 E. 27th St (B/W Lexington Ave. & Park Ave. South), 212.481.7372 <BR>Tuscan old world style..everything is homemade, pastas, bread and dessert. Mama is in the kitchen. They also have a wine bar (Enoteca) next door. Organized by Italy's regions, they also offer a smaller scaled menu. <BR> <BR>Il Corallo <BR>176 Prince Street (off West Broadway in SOHO) 212.941.7119 <BR>A million homemade pasta dishes to choose from - very modestly priced (especially for Soho) <BR> <BR>Japanese (sushi) <BR>Blue Ribbon Sushi <BR>119 Sullivan St (B/W Prince and Spring Sts) <BR>The best sushi in NYC..a little pricey but well worth it. Get the Chef's Special! <BR> <BR>Penang <BR>(2 locations..but if you're near Central Park West)..240 Columbus Ave (71st Street) 212.769.3988 <BR>Great interior..good quick food. Try the Roti Canai or grilled Calamri (both appetizers) - also my favorite Buah Mango (either chicken or shrimp)..sweet mango with a little kick from some peppers..YUM! <BR> <BR>(next door to Penang) good for lunch is China Fun <BR>246 Columbus Ave (72nd St) 212.580.1516.. <BR>anything Chinese is good in here - try their Dim Sum- cheap - great for lunch or dinner! <BR> <BR>Gabriela's Kitchen (Upper West Side too) <BR>311 Amsterdam (B/W W. 74and 75th Sts) 212.875.8532 <BR>Cheap authentic mexican food. <BR> <BR>Enjoy! <BR>

Elaine Aug 31st, 2001 08:03 AM

If you enjoy Seafood/Spanish I have a place for you that my friends turned me on too. Francisco's Centro Vasco 159 West 23rd Street, (bet 6th & 7th avenue). This is a small place and they start off by handing you a list of the various size lobsters they offer that night. Plus their Sangria is amazing either the red or white. Downside is they do not take reservations, but they open for dinner at 5:00pm during the week and if you get there b4 6:30 there is usally not a wait. Another option could be that they open up at 2:00pm on Saturday and Sunday and it does not start getting crowded until 5-6pm. Even if you do not like lobster they do have an chicken, beff and veal dishes as well.

joan Aug 31st, 2001 12:40 PM

Thank you to all....recommendations sound great - just what I had in mind. jjw