Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dinner in Denver (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dinner-in-denver-672584/)

bugswife1 Jan 22nd, 2007 07:43 AM

Dinner in Denver

Have narrowed it down to three. Want excellent food, anything but French, and an informal atmosphere (won't have anything but jeans and ski clothes with us)
I am looking for an opinion on whether to go to Strings, Rioja, or Vesta.
Thanks

MaureenB Jan 22nd, 2007 07:53 AM

Strings is very good, but I wouldn't call it informal. It's doable, but I don't think you'd be terribly comfortable there in ski clothes.

We always like the Chop House in LoDo. It's in a nice historic building, with very good food and service and reasonable prices.

I know lots of people lke Vesta, but we've never been there, or to Rioja.

:)>-

wtm003 Jan 22nd, 2007 08:14 AM

I've never been to Strings, but I agree that it is probably not the best place for jeans. I'm sure they would still treat you well, though, if you decide to try it out.

I like Vesta and Rioja. I would go with Vesta, though. I think the atmospere is more fun and easy going.

I used to like the Chop House but when we tried to drop in a few weeks ago, they had a real attitude. Maybe it was because we had our pre-teens with us or maybe it was because we were wearing jeans, but they informed us in a snotty manner that it was Saturday night in downtown Denver and every place had a three hour wait. It was bizarre and kind of funny - I think they thought we were tourists. One of my friends has had a similar experience with the Chop House recently.

MaureenB Jan 22nd, 2007 03:20 PM

I'm sorry to hear that about the Chop House. We've been there about six times, most recently last summer, and have always been treated really well, even though we weren't especially dressed-to-kill. I sure hope they don't have a new (bad) attitude there. I'll pay attention to it next time we go.

MaureenB Jan 22nd, 2007 03:22 PM

P.S. I forgot to mention one you might like, though it's not on your original list. It's been one of our favorites for years, called Avenue Grill, on 17th street at Washington, a tad east of downtown. It's smallish, informal and elegant at the same time, great menu, service and food. Reasonably priced. Even has a burger and fish sandwich on the dinner menu. Free parking across the street. Nice little tables on the window.

sjde53 Feb 10th, 2007 07:15 AM

I like them all but I think I would choose Vesta. Rioja however, is on Larimer Square, which you should really see,even if you don't eat there. Another on Larimer Square which we love is Bistro Vendome. True, it's French, but they do have steak and frites, and the ambience in and out is one of our favorites. It's owned by the same people as Rioja. Others you might want to consider on the 16th Street mall are The Rialto, Gumbos and Marlowes.

Sue

wtm003 Feb 10th, 2007 07:29 AM

Sjde, I'm glad to hear that Bistro Vendome is still good. I haven't been there since the ownership change. I love their frites!

Tess Feb 10th, 2007 07:33 AM

Vesta is our favorite Denver restaurant. We've gone there since our children were elementary school age and they've always been treated well by staff. It's also a fun place to go with a group and you can definitely wear jeans. It's a 'loud' restaurant with a fun, informal atmosphere.

fmpden Feb 10th, 2007 07:49 AM

You didn't indicate when you would be there. All three are excellent. Certainly would support the comments for Vesta. Given the limited info, of the three, Vesta would be your best choice. HOWEVER, Strings has a terrific 5280 special on Sunday night. A limited choice, 4 course, menu for two for $52.80. Plus equally good wine specials. One of the better resturant values around. If you have nice sweaters and clean, neat jeans you will be fine. And it is dark enough that you will hardy be noticed once seated. However, Strings is out of the downtown area. Don/t know if that is important or not.