COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dinner for one between Charleston and Savannah

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

This Saturday evening (husband picking up son at college). He is flying into Charleston and driving to Savannah (free ticket credit - long story) arriving around 5 PM. Realizing that restaurants will be crowded in both cities, and 5 PM is a little early for dinner, any suggestions for mid-range restaurant where he would not be totally uncomfortable eating alone - perhaps between 2 cities - on a Saturday evening. Son not interested in joining him for dinner - too many end-of-college-semester parties and will be in car with his father for 2 days anyway. Thanks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:23 AM

Which way is he driving? I'd probably just eat in Savannah.

To be honest, I don't think I'm following the timing thing. Does son arrive at 5? If so, and he doesn't want to eat with Dad, when would your hubby be eating without son?

There's a local seafood restaurant not far from the airport that would be serving around 5 - depending on when hubby plans to eat.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:29 AM

Where will he be staying in Savannah? I'm betting there will be several good eating places near by. He need not feel awkward eating alone. A lot of tourists and businessmen do.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

To clarify, husband arrives at 5 PM. Son is already in Savannah and they will meet up Sunday AM for drive home (car rental is one-way Charleston to Savannah and son has a car in Savannah - husband is flying so son does not make 1000 mile trip alone)

Saturday is Savannah College of Art and Design commencement and most Historic District hotels are full and we know from experience that restaurants are packed in addition to usual Saturday night crowds - that was why hope for restaurant in between.

He is very used to eating alone - travels 1/3 time on business.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:29 AM

I'm still a bit confused. Where is he staying? If he wants to eat near the Savannah Airport, there's a Carey Hilliard, Sea Grill and Applebee's nearby. I don't think there's going to be much of a problem with SCAD grad diners at those locations. All are basic foods.

If he has time (and miles) to kill, he could eat at Tybee - or at any of the gazillion places in Abercorn out near the mall.

There are all of the usual chains (Carraba's, etc) and local chains (Carey Hillard's) that would offer moderate solo dining with wide menu options.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:32 AM

If he's willing to take a more scenic, backroads track, Beafort is a good spot about in the middle. Sorry I can't recommend specific restaurants, but I know there are some good ones.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:33 AM

Sorry, make that Beaufort.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Re-clarify - staying in Midtown area - we know there are zillion of chain places there - that is where he usually ends up - thought there might be some more interesting option.

Like Beaufort idea - we were there 20 years ago for my sister's wedding.