Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dining suggestions for Aspen & Snowmass (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dining-suggestions-for-aspen-and-snowmass-512159/)

PegDog Mar 13th, 2005 05:24 PM

Dining suggestions for Aspen & Snowmass

Hi! Does anyone have any suggestons for dining in Aspen and Snowmass for 2 families of 4? We're already booked at the Crystal Palace but need to make reservations for Easter and a few other nights. (All price ranges of restaurants are welcome!)
Thanks!

amwosu Mar 13th, 2005 06:03 PM

Do a search and you'll find an older thread with info on restaurants. We've been going to Aspen for two weeks at Christmas for about two decades and my kids favorites include Jimmy's for (tequila and) steak, Pacifica for seafood, Mezzaluna for casual Italian, Rustique, Range, and Elevation for interesting local dishes, a stop by the crepe wagon in Aspen after dinner for a chocolate, strawberry, banana crepe. My husband and I like Montagne, Century Room at the Hotel Jerome, and a sleighride to Pine Creek Cookhouse for romantic dinners alone.

MaureenB Mar 15th, 2005 09:01 AM

Unless you don't mind spending a lot on every meal, Aspen can be hard for family dining, especially since the Hard Rock closed. There is a simple barbecue place on the main street, as you are driving into Aspen, but I can't remember its name-- anyone there can tell you. It's good food in a family atmosphere.
The Chart House, although a chain, is good, too.
We love breakfast at The Hotel Jerome. Maybe they do a nice Easter themed breakfast, too.
Don't know for sure, but Snowmass could be less glitzy and more family.
Love Aspen!

amwosu Mar 15th, 2005 09:14 AM

The bbq place is The Hickory House. I missed the show but apparently Oprah had the cook/chef on to make ribs recently. They have THE best breakfast at the Hickory House.

I hate to say it but The Chart House went out of business a couple of years ago. It was actually the very first Chart House so it was very sad to see it go.

MaureenB is right about expenses. Most of the places I mentioned are about $28-30 per entree but before 6pm there are often deals to be had. There is a McDonald's on the walking mall (egad!).

TravelDiva Mar 15th, 2005 09:54 AM

Funny, I just started planning a Memorial Day weekend getaway to Aspen to visit BF's brother and wife, and I'd logged on to do a little research on restaurants to check out.

Brother is actually a chef at the St. Regis' restaurant, so I'm sure he'll have some suggestions. BF and I big time foodies, so any suggestions for the hottest new places to check out would be super!

amwosu Mar 15th, 2005 07:44 PM

TravelDiva, is he at Olives at the St. Regis? I don't know if it would called "hot" or "new" but I really like Range in Aspen. They take pride in using organic types of food and use alot of interesting meats like elk, buffalo, and caribou. We've had good food and good service and the atmosphere is very understated and relaxing.

Go to www.aspensnowmass.com and sort through the dining section to check out restaurant websites for more details.