Dining in Waimea, Big Island

Jan 4th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Dining in Waimea, Big Island

I was trying to decide between dining at either Daniel Thiebaut or Merriman's. I *do* have the blue book,"Big Island Revealed", so I know what they have to say (that Merriman's *used* to be the best until Daniel Thiebaut came on the scene), but I was wondering if anyone else had anything to say about one vs. the other.......???
Jan 4th, 2010, 07:14 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I've been to Merriman's for dinner and Thiebaut for lunch. Both were excellent. I would probably go to Thiebaut if I had to do only one.

Also if you are in Waimea in the morning I suggest the heart clogging breakfast at Hawaiian Style Cafe. In my mind it's a must do as long as your not afraid of the caloric overload that you will experience.

Also, if you are into fine wines, the best wine store on the island is Kamuela Liquors. It's in a funky old building where nothing is level or plumb but the guy has some very good wines.

Bill
Jan 4th, 2010, 08:14 PM

I would also recommend Daniel Thiebaut. I ate there in 2007 and really enjoyed my meal. On the contrast, I ate at Merriman's in 2008 and thought it was the most disappointing, overpriced meal of my trip. I would not go back...and neither would my other 2 dining companions. Service was excellent, but the food was just...meh.
Jan 5th, 2010, 02:54 AM

Have eaten at both in the past. Last visit-Merrimans for dinner in March 2009. The meal was very good. We heard from our friends who live in Hamakua that Merrimans had a downturn in quality a few years ago but, at least based on our meal last year, the problem has been solved.

The building at Thiebaut's is more interesting--it's an old general store and has some historical "stuff" still in it.

You might check out the reviews on Yelp http://tinyurl.com/y9a6xwx to help you decide.
Jan 5th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Hhhmmm.....I wonder why Thiebaut's restaurant gets such mixed Yelp reviews? It's making me lean toward Merriman's...
Jan 5th, 2010, 07:18 AM

I have not looked at the reviews, but generally the Big Island is not a foodie place. Even the good restaurants are just average compared to some no-name bistros in SF, LA, Chicago, and New York. I think people expect a great meal when the shell out the money and are disappointed that it is not of the quality they expected. The only true foodie island is Oahu.
Jan 5th, 2010, 09:47 AM

I'm fond of Hulie Sue's, because it's affordable!
Jan 5th, 2010, 10:53 AM

Merriman's had a nice cafe in the King's Marketplace in Waikoloa too, for lunchy-stuff that was very good. Not the same menu as in Waimea, but worth trying.

I ate at Merriman's in Waimea two years ago and loved it. Very fresh ingredients and quality preparation.
Jan 5th, 2010, 12:23 PM

I have to agree with wbpiii about the Hawaiian Style Cafe in Waimea. I remember eating a deliciously unhealthy breakfast of corned beef hash with eggs and fried rice there.