Dining in or around Glen Ellen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest some great local restaurants for dinner in or around Glen Ellen. A short (10-15 minute) drive is fine.

The only restaurant I've found near where my wife and I are staying (Gaige House) is the Glen Ellen Inn restaurant.

Many thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:16 AM

A while ago I ate at the Cellar Cat Cafe on Arnold Drive and liked it. Check it out. (I really enjoyed the Glen Ellen Inn restaurant this December.)
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:53 AM

My good gracious,you must look at a map, you are only 10-15 mins from the town of Sonoma and some of the best restaurants in the Wine Country !
A few:
Meritage
Cafe La Haye
Carneros Bistro at the Lodge at Sonoma
Della Santini
La Poste
Saddles Steakhouse at MacArthur Place
Swiss Hotel
More info can be found at
http://sonoma.com
R5

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I din't realize Glen Ellen was that close to Sonoma.
Any thoughts on General's Daughter or Harmony (Ledson Hotel)?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Up the road in Kenwood you've got Cafe Citti--we stop there for lunch every month when we pick up our wine shipment. Also--Kenwood Restaurant (dinner only?).
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 08:27 PM
je

Just down the street from Gaige House are the Glen Ellen Inn, Saffron and The Fig Cafe/Winebar. All three are very good and I'm sure the people at Gaige House will recommend these. I particularly enjoy the Fig Cafe who also run the Girl and the Fig in Sonoma, also a great restaurant. A new Argentinian restaurant is supposed to open soon in Glen Ellen near where the Olive Press is located. Celler Cat has gone out of business.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 07:33 AM

We'll be in Sonoma this month, staying at the Sonoma Mission Inn. girl and the fig is always the first place we hit for lunch, then we're having dinner at the General's Daughter which is getitng rave reviews with Preston Dishman in the kitchen now! I've also heard the decor has changed, so that will be interesting to check out.

We had a nice dinner at the Harmony Club last spring. It is located in the lobby of the Ledson Hotel, very elegant, great service and food with a nice selection of the Ledson wines. We did the wine flight which was nice.

Wolf House in Glen Ellen is where we are considering having a second lunch. Cafe La Haye, Swiss Hotel and Dolce Lunas in Kenwood are all good, also. We may stop in at Syrah (Santa Rosa) for an appetizer before our dinner at General's Daughter.

If you happen to be around Forestville, the Farmhouse Inn was excellent for dinner. Cheers! ***kim***
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:42 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Gaige House two years ago - loved it. We had dinner in the town of Sonoma several times. It's a very pretty town that's only 15 minutes away. We went to the Girl and Fig -- the one in Sonoma is just okay. We also went to La Poste, also in Sonoma, and loved it. Very casual french bistro -- if you like this kind of thing then you'll also love La Poste.

I'm jealous that you're going and I'm not -- ENJOY.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:01 PM

Two more comments. Right around the corner from the Gaige House is the Benzinger winery, which has a really interesting tour. Don't miss it. If you're into hiking stop at Jack London state park, which is also in Glen Ellen. You could spend several hours walking around this park.

Liz
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:07 PM
je

La Poste in Sonoma was very good but the owner sold it and was going to relocate. I believe there is a Thai restaurant where La Poste was.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:44 AM

We're back from our Sonoma trip. Meals at girl and the fig, Big 3 Diner, the General's Daughter and the El Dorado Kitchen were all wonderful. The El Dorado Kitchen is beautifully decorated now with the new remodel. ***kim***
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

LizQ - thanks for the suggestions; too bad La poste is closed, but Benzinger is definitely on our list!

kimamom - appreciate the follow up. I still haven't picked a restaurant for our dinner. GD's still sounds good, but like you mentioned, EDK looks really good too.

Could you pick one over the other interms of food, ambiance, etc?
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Our favorite place to eat in Glen Ellen,
(and Sonoma, which is only 5-10 minutes away)IS the Glen Ellen Inn Oyster Grill & Martini Bar! The chef came from John Ash and Kenwood restaurants, and is very creative without getting overly fussy. They also have the best martini and wine list in the Valley! Go-you'll be happy!