Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dining in Carmel - midweek but special occasion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2015, 10:37 AM
cfc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will spend 2 1/2 days in Carmel to enjoy it and have a birthday dinner for someone who wishes it weren't a birthday.

1. Recommendations for good but not break-the-bank expensive restaurant? Appreciate fine food, interesting, ethnic and/or locovore cuisine well-conceived and prepared, but under, say $60-70 per person?

2. Are reservations generally needed mid-week?
Old Mar 30th, 2015, 03:23 PM

A few suggestions - La Balena, Basil, Andre's Bouchee, Mundaka and Casanova.

You're generally OK with no reservations mid-week but it also depends on the week. When is the trip?
Old Mar 30th, 2015, 03:25 PM

Sorry, at La Balena you need reservations almost any day.
Old Mar 31st, 2015, 08:21 AM

My husband and I have eaten at Casanova twice during our travels to Carmel and really enjoyed it. We sat on the front patio since we had our dog with us but we loved it outside.
Old Mar 31st, 2015, 08:58 AM

Another idea if you're planning on a day trip to Big Sur is to have lunch at Sierra Mar at Post Ranch Inn. I believe they do a 3 course prix fixe for $55 at lunch.
Old Apr 4th, 2015, 09:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Patty's recs are right on point.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 05:30 AM
ltt

if the person doesn't want to focus on their birthday, wouldn't it be more considerate to maybe do a casual dinner or picnic and do something like a beach walk or something instead of having a focused "birthday dinner".
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 05:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I could be wrong, but I think the "wishes it wasn't a birthday" was more of an "I wish I wasn't getting older" rather than "I don't want a celebratory meal". Which we can all relate to.

I mean, as much as I don't like getting a year older every year (and the days seem to go really fast now!), I'd be pretty pissed if my husband simply ignored it or went casual on me!

In fact, when I got a doctor's referral report describing my age, I honestly thought the person they were describing was someone else . . . .
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 07:46 PM
cfc
Original Poster

What surfer girl said is the situation. Doesn't mind people celebrating anniversary of her birth, but does mind how many of those anniversaries there have been.

Patty's recommendations are helpful. Narrowing it down to Andre's Bouchee and La Balena. We went to Mundaka tonight just for ourselves -- they had limited the menu (after Easter weekend, I guess) and a number of their best dishes were 86'd. But what we did have was amazing - raviolis and cauliflower notably.

Will keep you posted.
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 08:44 AM
cfc
Original Poster

Thought I'd update with a report that we were treated to a lovely dinner at the Mt. Hamilton GrandView Restaurant, overlooking (from WAAAAAY up - quite a drive!) the San Jose valley and lower bay. Food was special and better than average although not quite 4-star - large (too large) portions and occasionally overdone sauce. But for a birthday it was great (there were 3 other birthdays being celebrated and a hard-sell taste-sampling for a wedding going on around us. Nonetheless, the setting and sunset were commandingly lovely so we didn't mind.
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 08:50 AM
cfc
Original Poster

That was after we went to Carmel -- obviously (a very long drive to Mt. Hamilton area from Carmel). In Carmel we had a nice but very limited tapas supper at Mundaka (cauliflower was surprise winner) and next night a very nice dinner at Grassings -- very well presented. Andree's was out of our hosts' comfort zone both re: price and cuisine. Balena was closed that night.

Had such a nice time at Cypress Inn (popovers for breakfast!) that I hope to go back exactly there, and get all the dogs greeting when we walked through the lobby.