Dining and getting around in kapalua

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dining and getting around in kapalua

We are going on our honeymoon in MArch 05 to Maui. We are staying at the Ritz CArlton in Kapalua. Are we within short driving distance from good restaurants? Should we rent a car or will Taxis suffice?

We would like to go to the Kea Lani for dinner one night and would also like to try out some restaurants in LAhaina. Are these places a short taxi ride away?

I am a worried that we may be a little to remote from the shops etc.

CAn anyone advise?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:56 AM

You really need a car. Kapalua to Wailea is a one hour drive. Even to Lahaina is about 20 minutes.You'll need a car to explore other parts of the island; the Ritz is nice but I couldn't imageine spending the entire time there.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:07 AM

You'll want a rental car on Maui. You'll probably find yourself wanting to go to places too often for taxis.

In Kapalua make sure you eat at Roys. Here's a link:
http://www.roysrestaurant.com/docs/index.html
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Like the others have said, you NEED a car. The drive from Kapalua to the Kea Lani is long, at least an hour. Taxis are expensive on Maui, I would guess that the fare from Kapalua to Lahaina might be the same as a daily compact car rental rate.

Suggested restaurants close to Kapalua would be Roy's in Kahana and the Sea House restaurant at the Napili Kai.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Sansai, Kapalua Bay Hotel (KBH)-Japanese, sushi; Roy's Kahana-great reputation, but no view; Plantation House, Kapalua-great views and food; Bay Club, KBH; Chez Paul, continental, Olowalu-keep your eyes and wallet open; Gerard's, Lahaina, continental. RC has dining options with very good reputations, though I've never eaten there. Never eaten at Hawaii Roy's either-it's local to us at home.
Rent a car: Kapalua's gorgeous, but cramped and isolated. Maui is best appreciated by driving and hiking it.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 10:06 PM

Definitely rent a car. Sansei, in the little shopping area outside the front door of Kapalua Bay Hotel, is outstanding for Pacific Rim/Japanese/sushi. Roy's Kahana Grill is eclectic, one of the best restaurants on the island and the US, great atmosphere. I'o and Pacific-O, side by side on the beach in Lahaina, open air, nice ocean view. Same ownership. I'o more seafood, Pacific-O more meat.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:49 AM

Here's another vote for the car rental.

You are very close to some GREAT restaurants:
Banyan Tree at the Ritz itself
Plantation House (Kapalua)
David Paul's (Lahaina - only about 20 min drive

You are not that remote from shops. There are some cool ones in the Kapalua Bay Hotel next door.

If you want to be in the center of a busy, boisterous atmosphere you will have to stay in an area like Kaanapali. IMO staying in a more quiet, secluded area is the way to go and then you can drive to the fun areas when you feel like it. Have fun!